or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › How do you travel with helmets?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do you travel with helmets? - Page 3

post #61 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

 

I swear it looks like there is still snow on those boots but nobody else in line looks like they came in from a snow covered sidewalk.  Is that real or shopped?


that's the graphic on those boots  salomon quest maybe?

post #62 of 78
I would wear it on the plane.
post #63 of 78

havent read the thread but i have an Athlon boot bag, helmet goes in middle. plus a ton of other shit...its my carry on.

I usually pack every article of clothing i could need to ski in the boot bag in case the ski bag got lost. pants, shell, puff, socks (stuffed in boots), capileine

 

I can ski for a week with:

- a High Sierra Double Ski bag with one pair of skis (havent tried two pairs) - checked

- Athlon Bootbag - carry on

- personal small backpack-carry on

 

assuming i dont need any nice clothes for any sort of work function, and that i have access to a washer dryer.

I could still probably do it with a sink

post #64 of 78
Phil taught me that when you wear your helmet onto the plane, the tinfoil liner stays in shape.
post #65 of 78
I keep it in my ski bag at home or when I travel.
post #66 of 78

I put the helmet on the back of the bag and detach it once I am on the plane.  I worry about potential impacts to the helmet if it was underneath the plane.  Have not had any problems with this.  Guess I could put it on my head if needed.  The boots are slung over a shoulder with a strap and placed under the seat in front of me once on the plane. They fit well there and again never had a problem with this.

 

If you are looking to maximize your carry on the secret place is your ski jacket.  A good ski jacket has at least 4 good size pockets.  These hold my valuables (camera, extra batteries, beacon, etc.) and fragile (goggles, sunglasses, etc.) items.  I have always been able to make due with the one bag under the plane even when traveling with both resort and bc gear.  Note second pair of boots go in carryon bag.

post #67 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post

 

If you are looking to maximize your carry on the secret place is your ski jacket.  A good ski jacket has at least 4 good size pockets.  These hold my valuables (camera, extra batteries, beacon, etc.) and fragile (goggles, sunglasses, etc.) items. 

 

TSA loves that.

post #68 of 78

Never been a problem

post #69 of 78
Dying here! This has turned into a riot! Dying laughing here
post #70 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster on skis View Post
 

Would do anything just to get thru that boarding part... :)


If you had any guts, you'd just wear them boarding. Tell the FA that your therapist said it was there only way to get past Fear of Flying...

post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
 


If you had any guts, you'd just wear them boarding. Tell the FA that your therapist said it was there only way to get past Fear of Flying...


and maybe add a couple of short antennae to complete the look...;)

post #72 of 78

ToeC : '...front of the line' holy cow, that hit the spot..

Cgd: "rental head lice.." Touche..that hurt..Walt -seriously...Cgd 'fix' should go to head..

Chouc: You have to be kidding..Sib makes the point succinct, and d-fog elaborately, one is skiing on a ski trip other than for 'force majeure'

Jerry: so the man is a Kraut, I wonder how it would feel trying to take off Fischer Vaccum Fits for TSA screening and putting them on! 

ScotsK: I was teleported into a Jetson's episode for a moment reading your wisdom..

 

This thread belongs on Jon Stewart or worthy of a renewed Seinfeld episode


Edited by dustyfog - 3/9/15 at 5:48am
post #73 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_j View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

 

I swear it looks like there is still snow on those boots but nobody else in line looks like they came in from a snow covered sidewalk.  Is that real or shopped?


that's the graphic on those boots  salomon quest maybe?

 

That's one of the the new Salomon WTF model. Noooo, Not that WTF. WTF - Walk to Fly. The improved model of the WTR - Walk to Ride. 

 

With Ryanair, If you're not wearing it, they will probably charge you for it.   

post #74 of 78

One learns something every day. I mean there is a reason Cat Tracks/Trax for boots were invented, and Salomon says they have invented boots fit not only to walk in but fly in. Interesting indeed.

And Ryanair yes, duly noted, never had the privilege of boarding one of their fleet, but most of the press suggests they do have quite the customer friendly reputation .. :eek 

post #75 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyfog View Post
 

And Ryanair yes, duly noted, never had the privilege of boarding one of their fleet, but most of the press suggests they do have quite the customer friendly reputation .. :eek 

 

Just be thankful you haven't had the privilege. :rolleyes

post #76 of 78
Helmet strapped to backpack with ski boots, goggles, and rest of ski clothes. See pic:

post #77 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC68 View Post
 

havent read the thread but i have an Athlon boot bag, helmet goes in middle. plus a ton of other shit...its my carry on.

I usually pack every article of clothing i could need to ski in the boot bag in case the ski bag got lost. pants, shell, puff, socks (stuffed in boots), capileine

 

I can ski for a week with:

- a High Sierra Double Ski bag with one pair of skis (havent tried two pairs) - checked

- Athlon Bootbag - carry on

- personal small backpack-carry on

 

assuming i dont need any nice clothes for any sort of work function, and that i have access to a washer dryer.

I could still probably do it with a sink

 

That used to be fine, but for example, I just traveled on Frontier Airlines and they have yet further monetized their baggage such that you can only bring one small carry on item (24"x18"x8" max) and there's no way a boot bag is going to fit that description and fit into the box thing they use to check the size of everyone's bag before boarding.  So great, if the ski bag and the boot bag count as one item (and I checked and they still do) then you could still bring the personal backpack on board, but that's it.  Flying is just getting to be more and more annoying each year.

 

This year, I brought a small dufflebag with my helmet inside and the goggles, socks, and underwear filling up the helmet and carried my jacket on separately.  I had no other luggage.  I placed clothes all around the helmet to cushion it and carried the bag on and just barely got in under the size limit without being charged.  I rented demo skis and boots.  I don't see why people dislike rental boots so much.  One pair I rented was uncomfortable, but the second pair was great.  In all the rentals I have done over the past few years, I have only had bad boots once (this 2015 trip) and I should have gone back and complained and switched those out but was too lazy.

 

ETA:  I looked up the Athalon boot  bag and it might be small enough to fit.  I would love to bring my gear on a trip, but $35 bag fee X 2 isn't much savings compared to about a $120 for 3-days of nice demo skis that you can trade out.

post #78 of 78
I have a flat backpack I occasionally use for my boots, stashed inside like this: L7

Fill in the gaps and interiors with stuff. Helmet on outside if things get too bulky. But, depending on the importance and shape of the other stuff, could put helmet over a boot cuff and pad.

I could see using the helmet as a handbag... Use the helmet bag and store your wallet, reading device, aspirin, etc. in it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › How do you travel with helmets?