or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Liberty Helix or other similar ski
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Liberty Helix or other similar ski

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

I'm looking into mid-fat skis around 105 waist width. One of the most interesting options to me is the Liberty Helix. Unfortunately, I have no way of demoing or testing these skis in any way before purchasing - as unfortunate as that is. Basically, I'm looking at the Helixes because I want a ski with which I can charge, but is also nimble enough to maneuver through trees and bumps. I'm only 150 pounds, so some metal loaded big mountain masterpiece will probably be too much ski for me.

 

Any thoughts on the Helixes vs. Rossi Soul 7s or Gotamas or Cochises or Atomic Rituals? I know they're all a bit different, but those are the names that come to mind when I think about the big players in the 105 category.

 

Also, they are changing the Helixes next year to include a layer of carbon fiber instead of all bamboo and fiber glass. I don't know how that's going to change the ski so if anyone has input there, that would be more than welcome.

post #2 of 12
I have the Double Helix in 190, super fun (selling my Super 7's) - I have often said I'm going to buy the Helix when they show up @ <$400, they did on SAC and I snoozed. My loss but I like a little metal too.

The DH's are poppy, and pretty light - noticeably lighter than my 185 Cochises. Just fun to pop off soft smaller bumps. Can bend them to almost any shape turn. Not as "chargey" as Cochise - but skis better in chop than the Super 7. Great float.

Not certain how this translates to the Helix - but if it's a smaller DH, you could do worse. The Liberty people are good at answering emails as well.
post #3 of 12

On the double Helix, which year (or top graphic) model do you have? Really interesting to me that you are getting rid of the honeycomb super 7s in favor of these, since I like at least the float and fun turn in powder on the 116 Super 7s 180 so much.  How does that part of the double helix performance feel like compared to the Super 7?

 

I own the 182 Ritual 103 also, and find it wonderful, with great powder feel, better in chop, but not quite as stable as a wider ski in deepish powder.  Both the Super 7 and the Ritual are great, for me, in soft and powder bumps, and I wonder about both Helixes in that way - powder bumps, but also float/turn feel.  

 

P.S. I went out and got two used fat skis to try for hard chop & crusty (& other stuff the Super 7 is mildly weird in), the later Rossi Sickle 111 and the newest K2 Pettitor 120.  Both work well for charging chop (or powder), and for quick turning in rough stuff, bumps, and trees, but both seem to lack the great floaty turn and feel of the Super 7.  The Pettitor in particular, in initial mounting point tests, seems slightly numb/stiff for great float feel, but otherwise is a quick on edge or slarve tank, fun but maybe incomplete.  Hence, the Helix interest.   

For me, at a light weight, these two serve as bulletproof chargers in the way, perhaps, the Cochise does for you- while at the same time being quicker turning skis, if you want them to be.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by givethepigeye View Post

I have the Double Helix in 190, super fun (selling my Super 7's) - I have often said I'm going to buy the Helix when they show up @ <$400, they did on SAC and I snoozed. My loss but I like a little metal too.

The DH's are poppy, and pretty light - noticeably lighter than my 185 Cochises. Just fun to pop off soft smaller bumps. Can bend them to almost any shape turn. Not as "chargey" as Cochise - but skis better in chop than the Super 7. Great float.

Not certain how this translates to the Helix - but if it's a smaller DH, you could do worse. The Liberty people are good at answering emails as well.
post #4 of 12
They are last years graphic/model. Some skull/fossil thing - green.

190 DH have more float and long low rocker. The mount point even all the way back is pretty centered - so the are not battleships (maybe not as slithery as the Super 7). They are pretty light - I see them w/ touring clamps all the time.

Had I bought the Squads - maybe would have kept them. I mounted the Super 7's back 1 cm and in hindsight should have gone back 2cm. Anything over boot deep and cut up made me have to ski very slowly. Anything deeper and untracked and I wished they made longer version.

The DH fix all those things for me. Plus they throw a sweet rooster tail smile.gif
post #5 of 12

Great. Thanks. At maybe 121 underfoot, the longer D. Helixes just add more float, and probably a little more stability, for a normal weight to heavier guy especially.  

 

Sounds like my lighter weight makes a difference here (~145-150 lbs).  My Super 7 at 180, and the longer one at 188, were both great on float and light chop for me, about the same in float.  But when the chop settled into heavy or partly frozen, and when there were hard or uneven or rough stuff underneath, rough sailing, not so good.  

 

So the two chop skis I got (probably like Cochises, for a heavier guy), solved that in a separate charger ski.  

 

Both Liberties sound interesting.  

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by givethepigeye View Post

They are last years graphic/model. Some skull/fossil thing - green.

190 DH have more float and long low rocker. The mount point even all the way back is pretty centered - so the are not battleships (maybe not as slithery as the Super 7). They are pretty light - I see them w/ touring clamps all the time.

Had I bought the Squads - maybe would have kept them. I mounted the Super 7's back 1 cm and in hindsight should have gone back 2cm. Anything over boot deep and cut up made me have to ski very slowly. Anything deeper and untracked and I wished they made longer version.

The DH fix all those things for me. Plus they throw a sweet rooster tail smile.gif

I was wondering, how do the DHs handle powder bumps?  (The Super7s do great there, for me.)

 

Also, are the DHs too stiff for someone with lighter weight, or would they do just fine, in your opinion?

post #7 of 12
A bit late to this conversation, if you have not made a decision yet, take a look at my reviews of the Liberty ski line from this past season, including the Helix, and Double Helix, and some of the 2016 skis. You can check out my profile, to better understand how I ski, and what I look for in a ski. I added the 2016 Origin, and 2015 Genome to my personal inventory this summer. I did not notice where you ski. My reviews were conducted in Vail, Colorado. Thanks "Yellow Gentian Ski Reviews". Craig
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistpines View Post

A bit late to this conversation, if you have not made a decision yet, take a look at my reviews of the Liberty ski line from this past season, including the Helix, and Double Helix, and some of the 2016 skis. You can check out my profile, to better understand how I ski, and what I look for in a ski. I added the 2016 Origin, and 2015 Genome to my personal inventory this summer. I did not notice where you ski. My reviews were conducted in Vail, Colorado. Thanks "Yellow Gentian Ski Reviews". Craig

 

Could you paste a link to your review of the Liberty Helix please.

post #9 of 12
http://yellowgentian.com/the-team/craig. This is the link to my reviews. Thanks. Craig
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistpines View Post

A bit late to this conversation, if you have not made a decision yet, take a look at my reviews of the Liberty ski line from this past season, including the Helix, and Double Helix, and some of the 2016 skis. You can check out my profile, to better understand how I ski, and what I look for in a ski. I added the 2016 Origin, and 2015 Genome to my personal inventory this summer. I did not notice where you ski. My reviews were conducted in Vail, Colorado. Thanks "Yellow Gentian Ski Reviews". Craig

Thanks very much for your input, and the Yellow Gentian ski site.  I found it early on last year, I believe, and to me it's one of the very best ski review sites I've discovered.  I read your bio and some of your reviews, and loved what I read.  I think you add a lot to the site.  Loved your edge tuning suggestions, for instance.  Wish you the best and look forward to your reviews this coming year, as well as those of many of the other reviewers.  Great stuff.  

 

Heyman's choosing the Double Helix as his favorite powder ski, back before you were on board, I think, was what made me aware of these skis.  I have since gone up on the Pali lift at A Basin with two Liberty people on different days, one a rep and the other a ski maker/owner, I believe.  I had the good fortune to discuss the Origin, Double Helix and Helix with both of them and saw how they skied on them as well, and was very impressed.  Doug in particular was a wonderful skier on both fatter skis.

 

 I ended up finding a lightly used pair of 180 Double Helixes, which I could only ski at the tail end of last season, on re-frozen groomers and slush/slush bumps.  For me, not the best in those conditions.  I suspect I'd have liked the Origins better in the slush bumps, etc., but dunno.  I'm only 5'!0". 150 lbs., so the shorter length seems to fit me.  I have demo bindings on them, so I'll experiment with different mount positions, and will try farther back, as you suggested in your review.  I look forward to trying them in powder/resort powder this coming year.  I'll find out then if they're good to go or best for a heavier guy than me, optimally.

 

By the way, like you I love my Super 7s; but mine are the 13/14 orange and black honeycomb version.  I love them in soft snow except in rougher snow conditions, as I mentioned earlier - which is why I'm trying the DH.  I'm hoping it both floats and handles rough stuff.  

post #11 of 12

Blister has a good review on the Helix: http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2014-2015-liberty-helix. In it they compare it to some other skis in the same category.

post #12 of 12
Thank you for your feedback! Yes, the Origins are better in inconsistent conditions and most bump conditions. As you noticed, I am not a fan of Rossi's light weight, stiff, springy construction that is used in the current Soul 7 and Super 7. This construction lacks the dampening characteristics and softer flex I prefer in this width ski, however, my opinion may have been more favorable with a shorter length (180 vs 188) and the mounting position moved back from their recommended position on the Soul's. Better dampening is also the reason I selected the Origin over the DH for my personal inventory this season, even though I loved the DH in consistent powder conditions, and added the Liberty Genome (a wider DH) to my inventory for those deep pow days. I am generally a resort skier (Vail), and always deal with cut up inconsistent conditions during part or all of the day. Back country skiers may have a different opinion. Enjoy your DH this season.......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Liberty Helix or other similar ski