or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › What's the thought process of morons?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's the thought process of morons? - Page 7

post #181 of 191
In summary age isn't always a determining factor. However, when confronted a mature person acknowledges his mistake and it's all good.
post #182 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

 

Yeah... it doesn't need to be generational... but I've never seen crossed skis, even once. I've seen patrol working on people several times, but never crossed skis that I can remember. (Of course, I probably don't even have 50 days skiing in my life, so maybe I haven't been out there enough.)

 

Yep - I'm 35 - not a millenial, have way more than 50 ski days (today will be #27 this season) and didn't know it.  I guess I've seen people staged around crash victims with their gear blocking them up hill which seems like the obvious thing to do, but never particularly noticed if any skis were crossed.

post #183 of 191

When I had my collision earlier this season, we were both down right over a little lip where people couldn't immediately see us.  I remember someone fetched my skis and immediately put them in an 'X' above us.

post #184 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
 

 

Yep - I'm 35 - not a millenial, have way more than 50 ski days (today will be #27 this season) and didn't know it.  I guess I've seen people staged around crash victims with their gear blocking them up hill which seems like the obvious thing to do, but never particularly noticed if any skis were crossed.

Huh that's usually the first thing I see patrol do if someone hasn't already done it though usually someone has done it for them.  

 

I'm 25 and I'm not really sure who taught me what crossed skis meant. I do know there are usually signs in the park stating what they mean though.

post #185 of 191
Well in Tahoe these days it can be tough to plant a ski in the snow. I have noticed crossed poles however.
post #186 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post

Well in Tahoe these days it can be tough to plant a ski in the snow. I have noticed crossed poles however.

 

I've heard some patrollers express a preference for flat tails on their work skis specifically to make them easier to stab. I get that is different than the issue you are referencing. :(

 

Honestly, the whole crossed skis thing is something I am flabbergasted to hear 99% of Epic doesn't know by heart. We are failing our reputations of being the joyless arbiters of the skiing world, willing to go into the weeds on every little tiny piece of skiing etiquette.

post #187 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post

Well in Tahoe these days it can be tough to plant a ski in the snow. I have noticed crossed poles however.

 

If you're in tahoe and ski at Heavenly and Northstar, you will see the vail resorts yellow jackets handle an injury in a super choreographed manner.


The Yellow jackets not only setup and cross the skis, but set up the poles at 45degrees behind the x as a brace.  Then 2 if not 3 of the yellow jackets go upslope and form a protect triangle to direct and slow people down while patrol works on the guest.

 

Also, if you stop and read the sign for terrain parks; you will see the icons for hand signals instructing that crossed anything (arms/poles)  means closed/skier down, (while hands up or making an O means open).    So ironically, the brash young park rats actually are actually more aware of at least this portion of safety etiquette than older "mature" skiers who don't do park.

post #188 of 191

At 29, I am probably the youngest member on this forum and I knew about the crossed skis.

post #189 of 191
You don't need to plant skis into snow to cross them. At my local bump there's no way you can plant anything into snow without a drill, so the patrols just cross the skis, loop pole straps around the middle crossed section then prop skis up with poles, like a tripod if you will.
post #190 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf210 View Post
 

 

 

I'm 25 and I'm not really sure who taught me what crossed skis meant. I do know there are usually signs in the park stating what they mean though.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by core2 View Post
 

At 29, I am probably the youngest member on this forum and I knew about the crossed skis.

I dispute that title and claim it for myself :p

post #191 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf210 View Post
 

 

 

I dispute that title and claim it for myself :p

 

I guess I should read more lol. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › What's the thought process of morons?