I'm planning to take my wife on her first ever skiing trip over spring break, and I need some help choosing where to go. We'll likely be flying in from Houston Monday March 9 and leaving Friday March 13.
My wife is a complete beginner, but she's reasonably fit. I used to be a fairly advanced skier, though better on on piste, but I've got pretty rusty since I last went about five years ago. I've mostly skied the French and Swiss Alps, except for one two-week trip with friends to Breckenridge in 2007, when we skied there, Copper (I think), Vail, Beaver Creek and A Basin. It was a lot of fun.
These are our main criteria:
- Good for beginners but also lots of blue and black runs for me
- Avoid the college kids on Spring Break
- Some decent restaurants (my wife will not want to live off pizza and burgers)
- Convenience of access, both flight and drive time and access to the slopes
- Decent snow (obviously). I've checked the forecasts, and Colorado is probably looking best.
Unfortunately, booking at such short notice makes things tricky. After looking at a few resort reviews and snow forecasts, this is where I've been thinking so far:
- Beaver Creek - but things seem eye-wateringly expensive
- Snowmass - also seems expensive, but not as much as BC. Is there enough beginner terrain?
- Big Sky or Grand Targhee - should be quiet, but further to go, plus the snow forecast doesn't look so good
I'm open to suggestions. Is there anywhere that obviously stands out where we should go?
Thanks very much.