or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trip to Snowbasin

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hi, I am an advanced skier from New England and I am going on a family trip to Snowbasin in early March.  I was wondering if I should cancel my trip because of the horrible conditions.  Is there still a chance for this winter to turn around?

Will there be enough snow by the time I get there?

I am very worried.

post #2 of 16
I don't know how conditions are, but Snowbasin is one sweet mountain. Good luck!
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywalshbag View Post
 

Hi, I am an advanced skier from New England and I am going on a family trip to Snowbasin in early March.  I was wondering if I should cancel my trip because of the horrible conditions.  Is there still a chance for this winter to turn around?

Will there be enough snow by the time I get there?

I am very worried.


Have you been following the Utah Weather Conditions thread?

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/132147/2014-2015-utah-weather-discussion

post #4 of 16

Paging 4ster to this tread please.

 

The guy knows this mountain better than anybody around here. Whatever he tells you about Snowbasin, you can take it to the bank.

post #5 of 16

Your not alone!  Planning mid March for SB and Powder Mtn. and we are considering pulling the plug as well?

 

Skiing powder in the catskills every week and gotta wonder if we shouldn't just stay here? We wont get beat up to bad if we cancel... really on the fence on this one. Alta and Snowbird seem to be ok but there is no way we are day tripping every day - at least with the current conditions.

 

Lets hope in changes and fast.

post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
 

Paging 4ster to this tread please.

 

The guy knows this mountain better than anybody around here. Whatever he tells you about Snowbasin, you can take it to the bank.


Messaging @4ster or @contesstant .

post #7 of 16

As of now, Snowbasin is 100% open & except for Powder Country, Pow Mow is also fully open.  With that said, it has been perpetual springtime since early January.  Although we have had a bunch of little 1"-2" refreshers over the past month the sun exposed aspects & low elevations have suffered due to consistent above average temps.

 

A cool down began yesterday & it looks like it may be cold enough for some decent snowmaking conditions this week.  My hope is that once things calm down in the east, it will begin storming in the west!  Even though it has been some really fun skiing most days, it is a little scary to see birds & squirrels out and about everyday, along with no snow in the valley & an ice free lake.

 

I would hold out as long as possible before pulling the plug.

 

JF

post #8 of 16

I can't report on the conditions on-mountain since I'm down with my injury, but my friends say the groomers are still skiing well (just need to avoid some places **Elk Ridge**.) Wasatch Snow Forecast is showing a possible major pattern change toward the end of the month, with this weekend's forecast colder weather being part of what opens the door. A miracle March would be most welcome for more reasons than good skiing, although I'd be happy to get out on my mountain bike ASAP!

 

With all that in mind, keep an eye on the forecast and pray for some March goodness!

post #9 of 16

I agree with 4ster.  Keep an eye on things, but be ready to cancel while you can still get your money back.  Snowbasin is a great hill, but I have skied it in icy, crusty conditions and you will be much better off skiing where there is good snow.  

post #10 of 16

I love Snowbasin and every ski day I've ever had in Utah for that matter....

 

That said, the Northeast is awesome this year.  

 

If you want to switch things up, I'd do a 1 or 2 nighter a car ride away.

 

Check out Stowe, Jay Peak or some other mountain you have never been to.

 

You can re-book for next year....

 

Just my $.02

post #11 of 16
I ski Powder Mountain and there are parts that are starting to get a little thin. If the weather doesn't change soon I would say they may have to close the Paradise lift within a few weeks. I like spring skiing but this past warm period has been ridiculous!
I have friends that have a Snowbasin pass and they report that conditions are a bit 'firm' there now.
post #12 of 16

anyone know how Snowbird is?  I'm supposed to go in 2 weeks, and wondering if I should cancel as well.

post #13 of 16

Again, keep an eye on the forecast. If this high pressure breaks down all it'll take is a couple good storms to come in, and it's starting to look positive...

post #14 of 16

Awesome....thanks "contesstant"

post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonks55 View Post
 

anyone know how Snowbird is?  I'm supposed to go in 2 weeks, and wondering if I should cancel as well.

Have you been following this ongoing thread?  You can Subscribe without posting in it if you like.  Look under the thread title ( next to Unread Posts).  The Subscription icon is a star in a black box.

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/130283/snowbird-2014-2015

post #16 of 16

Snowbasin is  a "Bit Firm" ... read as VERY firm once the groomers are skied for an hour or 2....     You can never count Utah out... but if you do not get beat up too bad and have snow at home that is good.... seems like an easy answer to me

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel