or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Diamond stone lubricant

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

My bottle of ARTECH polishing solution is getting close to empty, so I researched what people use. Most people seem to use 50/50 water and denatured alcohol.

 

I have two questions about this. First, why denatured and not isopropyl? Second, the stuff I got from ARTECH feels very soapy. Why haven't I seen very many people recommend soap with water? Wouldn't that reduce the surface tension more than alcohol?

post #2 of 19

Spit has always seemed to work fine.

post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis256 View Post
 

My bottle of ARTECH polishing solution is getting close to empty, so I researched what people use. Most people seem to use 50/50 water and denatured alcohol.

 

I have two questions about this. First, why denatured and not isopropyl? Second, the stuff I got from ARTECH feels very soapy. Why haven't I seen very many people recommend soap with water? Wouldn't that reduce the surface tension more than alcohol?

50/50 with a few drops of your favorite dish soap will do you well.  There isn't really anything magical about any of it so if you just want to dip it in a cup of water before and after you use it, that will be fine too.  

post #4 of 19

I wouldn't use soap since it is miscible with wax.  The Diaface website recommends 50/50 water alcohol and pretty much any alcohol would do; DMT suggests water only.  Water/alcohol dries faster than water alone, so use any easy evaporating alcohol. 

post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor D View Post
 

I wouldn't use soap since it is miscible with wax.  The Diaface website recommends 50/50 water alcohol and pretty much any alcohol would do; DMT suggests water only.  Water/alcohol dries faster than water alone, so use any easy evaporating alcohol. 

Thumbs Up

post #6 of 19
I use water, drying faster isn't a problem for me since I wipe down with paper towel after anyway.
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis256 View Post
 

 

I have two questions about this. First, why denatured and not isopropyl? 

 

Denatured ethanol is a marginally better solvent than isopropanol, but you are absolutely correct, isopropanol works just fine.    If you keep alcohols in spray bottles, the spray bottles even last longer with isopropanol :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis256 View Post
 

 

 Why haven't I seen very many people recommend soap with water? 

 

*shrug* I use ammonia window cleaner quite often. 

post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 

 

Denatured ethanol is a marginally better solvent than isopropanol, but you are absolutely correct, isopropanol works just fine.    If you keep alcohols in spray bottles, the spray bottles even last longer with isopropanol :P

 

*shrug* I use ammonia window cleaner quite often. 

The purpose of denatured is to make unpalatable. 

 

Induces nausea! Keeps folks from drinking ethanol!

 

I've used both. Isop. & Denatured Doesn't seem to make any difference on skis!

 

It is true the 50/50 water mix evaporates faster!

post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 

 

Denatured ethanol is a marginally better solvent than isopropanol, but you are absolutely correct, isopropanol works just fine.    If you keep alcohols in spray bottles, the spray bottles even last longer with isopropanol :P

 

*shrug* I use ammonia window cleaner quite often. 

The purpose of denatured is to make unpalatable. 

 

Induces nausea! Keeps folks from drinking ethanol!

 

Yes, yes, but the salient part here is how they make it unpalatable.   

Let's say they add diethyl phthalate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethyl_phthalate   That is a solvent in itself and will eat through the nozzle hardware of a spray bottle.    For equivalent concentrations,  thus denatured ethanol will be a better solvent than isopropanol.

 

Let's say they add methanol.    Again that is a solvent in itself and will eat through rubber seals, not to mention will oxidise Al faster.    For equivalent concentrations, thus denatured ethanol will be a better solvent than isopropanol.

 

I could go on through tert-butanol, chloroform, methyl isobutyl ketone and so forth but you get the idea.    Denaturants tend to be solvents and tend to attack the materials used to make spray bottles.    For "tend to be" read: 'any you are likely to buy'.    Hence my post and the way it was phrased.

You might get lucky and get isopropanol itself as a denaturant in your denatured ethanol.   Unless you're buying from a medical or pharmaceutical supplier the chances of your denatured ethanol being denatured with something relatively inert like chlorhexidine are well, small verging on tiny.

 


Edited by cantunamunch - 2/19/15 at 8:13pm
post #10 of 19
Interesting. I've been keeping the mixture in a "sip it" Tupperware cup for years. Granted it's only 50%, but why hasn't it eaten through the plastic?
post #11 of 19
It's really all theoretical, it may go through faster, I don't know, my chemistry sucks. In practice it may take 100 years instead of 150 years, how long do you keep each spray bottle? biggrin.gif
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Interesting. I've been keeping the mixture in a "sip it" Tupperware cup for years. Granted it's only 50%, but why hasn't it eaten through the plastic?


No soft seals, no nylon, no metals, no rubber, evaporates out instead of condensing on spray mechanism... could be any of a number of reasons

post #13 of 19
Dipping the stones, not spraying them. Same cup for probably seven years straight. I just keep topping it off and only dump the stuff when it looks cruddy. So, the solvent issue must be minor.
post #14 of 19
I use lab squeeze bottles. you can put the liquid right where you want it.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmtl View Post

It's really all theoretical, it may go through faster, I don't know, my chemistry sucks. In practice it may take 100 years instead of 150 years, how long do you keep each spray bottle? biggrin.gif

Thumbs Up  Same Spray bottle for maybe 10 years! Still tickin"

post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Interesting. I've been keeping the mixture in a "sip it" Tupperware cup for years. Granted it's only 50%, but why hasn't it eaten through the plastic?


Me too.  Denatured alcohol is a cleaner when mixed with water.  It won't cut wax though.  At least I have never been able to clean off wax with it mixed 50-50.   I use a ton of it.  All over those bases.  Never been an issue ever.

 

This link will show the system I use for stoning.     http://youtu.be/aUZQ0isiPIQ?t=2m35s

post #17 of 19

I use clear booze (vodka or gin).  Keep it in an old tupperware container and dip my stones in it prior to use.  Empty it out at the end of the season. Rinse, repeat.

post #18 of 19
The dirty martini of the ski tune world.....might just give that a try.
post #19 of 19
I use water and a tooth brush to rub the diamond stone. Spraying or squirting it works too. Why bother with the alchohol in the first place? Evap is irrelevant imo. Better to wipe off the metal dust than have it dry on the sidewall.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs