I’m getting ready to book a 5 day trip to the Okanagan region in Canada over Easter weekend. The plan is to book flights soon but delay accommodation booking until right before. We’d likely ski several areas staying in one or two locations. We’d also have the option to change destinations completely and ski only whistler if conditions were better there.
We’re a mixed group. Half the skiers like blue and black groomers with occasional off piste. The other half enjoys skiing everything and will ski 30% of the time on the hard stuff.
I’ve skied Whistler, Banff, KH and Fernie but never these particular areas. Looking for any tips including:
- Snow: April is late but bases look pretty good despite recent warm spells. There is always freeze thaw risk in April but I’m thinking risk of run closure is pretty low?
- Midweek lift closure: Is this a concern at any of these areas seeing as some days are midweek in the late season
- Other tips?
Recommendation on which places to ski: (currently ordered in likelihood we ski there from most to least)
- Sun Peaks: 60” base, good groomers but lower/south exposure
- Apex: 70” base, good mix of runs, good elevation but a little out of the way
- Silver Star: 75” base, good mix of runs, north facing but low elevation for the best lift
- Revelstoke: 90” base and good elevation for upper lifts but limited groomed runs and far
- Big white: 80” base and good elevation but runs seem uninteresting and south exposure