Based in New York City, debating whether to stay home and day trip over the weekend, or spend a few nights away with the family to enjoy this banner east-coast snow. Would be me, wife, and teen daughter. Let's just say that the other two are not quite as enthusiastic about skiing as I am. My criteria:
- Manageable crowds during holiday weekend;
- Lots of blues for the family to explore and enjoy;
- Advanced terrain, including glades, for me;
- Nice place to stay, bonus for a hot tub.
- Perhaps other things to do in the area (shopping, XC/snowshoeing, massage, etc.).
- Driveable from NYC.
The more off-the-radar, less-crowded ski options don't have much in the way of nice nearby lodging. The ones that came to mind first were Plattekill in NY (the Roxbury motel is super fun and nice, but is booked), Berkshire East (where I have never skied, but have heard nice things), Lake Pacid/Whiteface (not many hotel rooms left in town, which doesn't bode well for crowds), and Gore. Lodging is tight at all of these, though.
Any last-minute suggestions, both on ski areas and lodging?