or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY wax fail

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

I tried waxing my skis for the first time earlier today but I think I scraped the wax too early. The bases were pretty dry so I scrubbed with a brass brush a little, ironed on wax, waited a few minutes, scrape...scrape...scrape, then went over with a fine nylon brush. Apparently I was supposed to wait at least an hour before scraping?

 

Anyways, what is best way to fix this? Do I just add more wax, wait until it cools, scrape, then brush? Or should I try to remove the existing wax somehow (brushing) before starting over?

post #2 of 14

You've done no damage, except perhaps for the brass scrubbing (assuming you didn't just go tip-to-tail).  Just repeat the process with more wax and more time.  Meanwhile, find waxing threads here at EpicSki.  There are many.

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 

I went tip to tail with the initial and final brushing.

 

So, iron on more wax, wait a long time, scrape, then final brush? Should I not bother brushing the wax that is already on there?

 

I should say that I am not racing. The wax is CH7 if that matters.

post #4 of 14
What you did is fine. Some people do that just to clean their base before the full wax.
post #5 of 14

CH7 is pretty hard wax, which, unless you are waxing in +40c environment, cools off quite fast. With CH7, you should be ok to scrap it off in about 15mins, and if it's a bit colder, where you wax, even earlier. Of course you get better effect if you wait longer. But nevertheless, from this what you wrote, you didn't do any damage.

I don't know how exactly your finished ski looks like, but you basically need to do just one thing... scrap off rest of wax completely, brush with nylon brush and you are done. Or just add another layer of CH7, iron it, wait for some time for wax to cool off completely, scrap off, and brush with nylon brush. If skis were dry, adding another layer will actually do good ;)

post #6 of 14
Just don't SCRUB. Scrubbing to me is bi-directional. Especially don't scrub with a metal brush, you'll raise all kinds of ptex hairs.
post #7 of 14

OK, here is the lazy dirt-bag ski bum living in a trailer method:

 

1. Wax the ski using as little wax as possible (universal shop wax is best because it is cheap but decent quality). Iron it in nice and smooth.

 

2. Go skiing, letting the snowpack do the scraping. For rocker skis you need to find fresh snow to do the scraping.

post #8 of 14

If you do #2, then don't even bother with #1, and just go skiing. ;) It's waste of time and money, if you don't bother finishing what you started.

post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
 

OK, here is the lazy dirt-bag ski bum living in a trailer method:

 

1. Wax the ski using as little wax as possible (universal shop wax is best because it is cheap but decent quality). Iron it in nice and smooth.

 

2. Go skiing, letting the snowpack do the scraping. For rocker skis you need to find fresh snow to do the scraping.


Might want to scrape the gunk from the middle of the ski at lunch time if you have a credit card handy..

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 


Might want to scrape the gunk from the middle of the ski at lunch time if you have a credit card handy..

 

There won't be any gunk in the middle of the ski, but if you haven't been driving forward i.e. weighting the front of the ski, then there will be wax build up in the front portion of the ski.

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

Might want to scrape the gunk from the middle of the ski at lunch time if you have a credit card handy..

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
 

There won't be any gunk in the middle of the ski, 

 

 

Not if you're in BC and using uni wax.   On the other hand,  if you're on the east coast of the US and using hard wax...there will be gunk in the middle of the ski.  
 

Except when the snowguns are on and you come to a screaming stop as you go from natural/manmade and back to natural. 

Also when it rains enough to saturate manmade snow - coz you won't be going anywhere fast enough to scrape off anything. 

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
 

 

There won't be any gunk in the middle of the ski, but if you haven't been driving forward i.e. weighting the front of the ski, then there will be wax build up in the front portion of the ski.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 

 

 

 

Not if you're in BC and using uni wax.   On the other hand,  if you're on the east coast of the US and using hard wax...there will be gunk in the middle of the ski.  
 

Except when the snowguns are on and you come to a screaming stop as you go from natural/manmade and back to natural. 

Also when it rains enough to saturate manmade snow - coz you won't be going anywhere fast enough to scrape off anything. 

 

 

Doesn't seem to matter where, when, or what wax.  If I don't scrape I will have scrubbed off most or all of the visible wax along the edges and about 1/2" in towards the center of the ski after a couple runs.  The meat of the ski away from the metal edges still has gunk or visible unscraped wax tip to tail. 

post #13 of 14

Could have used you yesterday - I was running a hard HF wax and it was *gone* by 40K feet. 

post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Just don't SCRUB. Scrubbing to me is bi-directional. Especially don't scrub with a metal brush, you'll raise all kinds of ptex hairs.


I just went tip to tail. I should have said brush instead of scrub.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs