or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › Timberline WV Snowy Luau March 13 - 15, 2015
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Timberline WV Snowy Luau March 13 - 15, 2015

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

 Timberline's Snowy Luau March 13-15. Spring bumps on The Drop and people getting lei-ed everywhere and hopeful still some frolic in the trees. What more can u ask for? Who's in?

post #2 of 18

Sorry I'll miss the Luau again.  March is already fully booked.

 

Couldn't find the most recent TR, but for those who might be interested here's a view of the fun from 2012:

http://www.epicski.com/t/111448/snowy-luau-weekend-timberline-wv-mar-17-18-2012

 

Some Timberline pics from a Gathering in Feb 2014:

http://www.epicski.com/t/126236/mid-atlantic-gathering-2014-timberline-wv

post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Hill Crazie View Post
 

 Timberline's Snowy Luau March 13-15. Spring bumps on The Drop and people getting lei-ed everywhere and hopeful still some frolic in the trees. What more can u ask for? Who's in?

 

Don't count on Timberline being open after Snowy Luau this year. At any rate, closing weekend is scheduled for the following weekend. Snow mobile races now scheduled for the last Saturday of March, so no skiing then.

 

I'll be there. It is always fun.

post #4 of 18

I'm most likely in for at least a day (need to figure that out). Never been to Timberline, so that should be additional fun! 

post #5 of 18

Snow conditions are usually great for that weekend and it is tons of fun.

 

Ski competitions, pig roast, Polynesian dancers, lei's, fireworks, and the occasional tailgate or two.

post #6 of 18

So it's looking more like I can make at least Friday and probably Saturday. Anyone else heading up there? Any suggestions for lodging Friday night?

post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

So it's looking more like I can make at least Friday and probably Saturday. Anyone else heading up there? Any suggestions for lodging Friday night?


What type of lodging are you looking for?  The Canaan Valley Lodge is very nice, as is the restaurant so no need to go anywhere after checking in if you haven't had dinner yet.  Completely rebuilt a few years ago.  Only a 5-min drive from Timberline.

post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post


What type of lodging are you looking for?  The Canaan Valley Lodge is very nice, as is the restaurant so no need to go anywhere after checking in if you haven't had dinner yet.  Completely rebuilt a few years ago.  Only a 5-min drive from Timberline.

The CV Lodge is a great option. Both conveinient and reasonable. The deer on the property think they're your pets. They love crackers amd chips.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post

So it's looking more like I can make at least Friday and probably Saturday. Anyone else heading up there? Any suggestions for lodging Friday night?

Ditto on Canaan Valley Lodge. For more info, check out the Timberline resort link in my sig.
post #10 of 18

Not in the cards again for us this year. 

post #11 of 18

The weather is actually looking pretty ugly right now (>80% chance of rain/freezing rain on both Friday and Saturday) and I think I'm also going to bail on this weekend. :mad I was hoping to get one more weekend in my season, but looks like I might be done. :hopmad: On the bright side, this is the first year I've been sad about the season's end, given that I've gotten a lot better, gone a lot more, and had a lot more fun! So at least I have next season to look forward to even more. :) 

post #12 of 18

Last 2 years have spoiled us with the late March Mid-Atlantic powder days. So far this year it is looking like a more abrupt transition to spring. I am guessing that we still have one more shot of cold weather/snow later this month in the WV highlands - just a question of whether there will be any lifts running to access it.

 

I am still planning a couple more days locally at Wintergreen. Remember, even with the warm weather there will still be plenty of snow on the mountains. 

post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgo2 View Post
 

Last 2 years have spoiled us with the late March Mid-Atlantic powder days. So far this year it is looking like a more abrupt transition to spring. I am guessing that we still have one more shot of cold weather/snow later this month in the WV highlands - just a question of whether there will be any lifts running to access it.

 

I am still planning a couple more days locally at Wintergreen. Remember, even with the warm weather there will still be plenty of snow on the mountains. 

 

Yep... I was at Whitetail yesterday and it was OK, but never hit freezing overnight at the base so things were pretty slushy right from the morning on. By noon it was crowded and conditions were about what I'd expect in the late afternoon on a warm day usually (scraped and piled up and a little icy on most runs).

 

If they get some colder weather I may venture out again, but I'll play it by ear.

post #14 of 18

Saturday at TL looks to be rainy but Sunday could be a nice day...hope to see some pics from the Luau posted here!

post #15 of 18

I won't be down this weekend. Fri/Sat weather looks miserable, Sun could require ice skates and new job has turned into a shit show.

post #16 of 18

I'll be around. Sunday Monday should be ok; We will see about Saturday.

post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 

I'm also doubtful due to weather. I always planned to attend a single day but as JohnL points out, Sunday may require ice skates. I'll make a Saturday decision but don't look for me.

post #18 of 18

I guess the one time when a north-facing aspect is not your friend is when there has been rain and then a freeze overnight. Hopefully it will still soften up enough for the folks who are there Sunday.

 

There is a (very) small chance I will be at TL next Saturday (3/21). Plan of record is to be at Wintergreen with the whole family for a few turns, a few beers, and a few laughs watching the pond skimming. If my wife and daughter decide they do not feel like going I may instead head out to TL with my son.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › Timberline WV Snowy Luau March 13 - 15, 2015