or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Backcountry, Telemark, and Cross Country › New to the sport and want to start off in the backcountry
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New to the sport and want to start off in the backcountry

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hi all,
I learned how to ski when I was very young but stopped for over 10 years. I'm 26 now 6'2 and weigh around 220lbs just for a little back ground. I started back into xc a few weeks ago with a buddy of mine and absolutely love it. So my main questions are what type of skis would be best for someone starting out and on a budget (I'm trying to buy used and stay under $200 for everything including boots) would something like this work for skis http://m.ebay.com/itm/321657853009?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE
Also I would like any suggestions on bindings and boots. I want to do mostly backcountry and I live in New England so there are plenty of hills.
Thanks
post #2 of 18

Oy vey.... I will get someone else to give you the real guidance, but AT skiing is more expensive gear wise than any other type of skiing... so even second hand you will be struggling to get a third of your gear.  Given your low price/pain threshold I would thing you could get into crosscountry or telemark skiing, which you have already tried. 

post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chagy10 View Post

Hi all,
I learned how to ski when I was very young but stopped for over 10 years. I'm 26 now 6'2 and weigh around 220lbs just for a little back ground. I started back into xc a few weeks ago with a buddy of mine and absolutely love it. So my main questions are what type of skis would be best for someone starting out and on a budget (I'm trying to buy used and stay under $200 for everything including boots) would something like this work for skis http://m.ebay.com/itm/321657853009?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE
Also I would like any suggestions on bindings and boots. I want to do mostly backcountry and I live in New England so there are plenty of hills.
Thanks


You can't get a shovel, probe and beacon for that price unless you get really lucky, let alone the skis, boots and bindings. Add to that skins and a pack to carry everything.

 

The easiest way to cost save on equipment would be to find a pair of used skis meant for a resort and snowshoe up but I still doubt you will be able to find decent equipment for under $200 all in.

 

Also don't even think about going into the backcountry without a beacon shovel and probe set up.

post #4 of 18

I've got 50 years of skiing back country XC skiing in the North East. Maybe I can help. Is that ebay ski a good choice? Maybe.

 

When you say "New England back country" do you mean this

 

 

Or this

post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post

I've got 50 years of skiing back country XC skiing in the North East. Maybe I can help. Is that ebay ski a good choice? Maybe.

When you say "New England back country" do you mean this




Or this


To start defiantly the 2nd picture I like going down hills but probably not mountains for at least a year or two but definitely one day so I'm pretty much looking for the basics a good pair of used ski's and boots and to have fun out in the woods skiing I'm not ready for a ride down mt Washington just yet. And I'm looking to know what a good setup is to start I'm seeing that under 200 it's a hard price point so maybe a general price guide to what I should spend for used and what to look for for a beginner in this like myself.
post #6 of 18

1- Go waxless. Some patterns have more grip, some have more glide. Deal with it. 

2-Go about 190-200 in length for your weight.

 

Almost all my XC gear was bought used, mostly craigslist. Mostly 3-pins setups.  Currently love my Fischer S-bound. (98-69-83. $120)  Viole 3-pin heavy duty binding ($5) and used T3 Scarpa plastic boot ($80).  But I also have had a lot of fun on Fischer Country Crowns (63-54-52. $50) HD 3-pins and stiff leather Merrel boot ($75). Anything similar to these  (not much wider or narrower) will give you tons of fun.

 

If I lived in NE now with your snow now I'd offer $20 on this sale for the waxless, find some boots and go ski.Finding use 3-pin boots is getting harder.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/spo/4871928221.htm

 

You might have some luck by joining and posting a "Wanted To Buy" in the gear trade section at T4T

http://www.timefortuckerman.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=28&page=1&pp=25&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=100

post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post

1- Go waxless. Some patterns have more grip, some have more glide. Deal with it. 
2-Go about 190-200 in length for your weight.

Almost all my XC gear was bought used, mostly craigslist. Mostly 3-pins setups.  Currently love my Fischer S-bound. (98-69-83. $120)  Viole 3-pin heavy duty binding ($5) and used T3 Scarpa plastic boot ($80).  But I also have had a lot of fun on Fischer Country Crowns (63-54-52. $50) HD 3-pins and stiff leather Merrel boot ($75). Anything similar to these  (not much wider or narrower) will give you tons of fun.

If I lived in NE now with your snow now I'd offer $20 on this sale for the waxless, find some boots and go ski.Finding use 3-pin boots is getting harder.
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/spo/4871928221.htm

You might have some luck by joining and posting a "Wanted To Buy" in the gear trade section at T4T
http://www.timefortuckerman.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=28&page=1&pp=25&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=100

Thanks for the info, the craigslist link didn't work for me? But I have more questions now and you're very helpful. Would you recommend the 3 pin over a nnn binding or telemark binding and why? I've been looking over ebay and find a lot with telemark bindings in the $70-125 range http://m.ebay.com/itm/221679514519
post #8 of 18

With the snow you have and with more coming down, I would buy anything cheap that I could find that fit the two criteria I mentioned and go ski in the woods. This Saturday.

 

I'm sitting here 20 min from what should be a 10' base of Cascades snow but is mud, rock and brush. With a new Alpine and A/T setup that I've never skied. Yer killin' me. :)

 

Seriously, with your budget you need to go used take what you can get. We may get your snow next year.

post #9 of 18

And that T4T site would be your next stop to shop. I've bought gear there more than once.

post #10 of 18

Wooley is right on; used stuff; there should be lots of old brown t-3s around in garages--I just threw two pair away, probably your size LOL;  the fatter the waxless ski the better try some used Karhu Guides/Madshus Annums--likely to be some used ones around, I just nailed a pair to a wall this summer (but I kept my Fischer S-bound Outtabounds);  3 pin for sure: cheap, reliable, provide more control than NNN stuff.  Advertise in places like turns-all-year.com, telemark sites, XC sites; go to garage sales; rental equipment sales; etc.

post #11 of 18

Having shopped east and west, the pickings are different. East has leather, 3-pin and Alpinas and Trak showing up while the garages out west are be full of T3's, Guides and Rainey loops.

 

But here you go

 

https://nh.craigslist.org/spo/4883507512.html

post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the more info, I was just looking through craigslist and stumbled across these http://westernmass.craigslist.org/spo/4832702209.html

Would the red salomons be a good choice possibly for myself?
post #13 of 18

Yes. The red Traks and a pair of those boots would be a good, cheap way to start.

 

 

And I want those yellow Salomon bindings on the red alpine skis. Offer $40 for both pair but pay the $30 each if the seller holds firm. I'll tell you how to get the bindings off the skis, send you $30 plus shipping for the bindings and tell you where to send them.

post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
 

Yes. The red Traks and a pair of those boots would be a good, cheap way to start.

 

 

 

Cheap maybe, but far from good.

Those skis will be way too narrow and an old ratty pair of Men's 8's,  for a guy 6'2" and 220? 

 

Wait till you find a better match.

post #15 of 18

If I had 36" of snow in the woods, no skis, no boots, no budget I would buy them in a heartbeat for $20-30. Others might pass up a season or two shopping for "The Right Ski" for under $100. And if the boot fit me I would buy them too. The only thing worse than a serviceable but not perfect ski is no ski and a world to ski in.

 

Chagy10, I just noticed you said the red "Salomon" skis. Definitely not. They are heavy alpine skis, are not waxless.  The yellow bindings are no longer indemnified no shop will work on them. Tell the guy that. I have bought 4 sets of that binding with skis attatched for $20-30 ea. And what do I do the the leftover skis?

 

This, my back yard track setter/snow compactor/fitness device/firewood hauler

 

And this

 

 

And be aware about the some answers you read here at Epic. A thread asking what color boots go best with K2 AMP's can go 4 pages. :) 

post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
Would they be serviceable on groomed trails? He's asking $40 with poles is that decent?
Would either of the other pairs be good?

He said they're 192 cm bindings marked equipe driver997

Should I stay away I might look at them tonight...
post #17 of 18

The trak XC skis would be a great start. Not a fire sale price but not outrageous.

 

I'll take the Equip binding for $40. But If you were my I'd offer $40 total for both sets and I'll give you $40 for the Salomon 997 bindings.

 

Sending you a PM

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chagy10 View Post

Would they be serviceable on groomed trails? Yes on the Trak's   And good in the woods too. 
He's asking $40 with poles is that decent? If you were you I'd offer $40 total for both sets and I'll give you $40 for the Salomon 997 bindings.

Would either of the other pairs be good? NO. The Blue XC skis are too short and the alpine skis and binding have no value.

He said they're 192 cm bindings marked equipe driver997 I'll take the Equip bindings for $40.

Should I stay away I might look at them tonight... Depends on whether you want to ski this weekend or not and can afford to spend $40. They are not "Perfect" for everything but a good start.

  Let me know if you are going to take a look and I'll email him about the bindings to pave the way. How far are you from Amherst?

post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
So I just got back from picking up a set of ski's, poles and boots for $150.



It's kinda hard to tell but it's whitewoods explorer ski's (68-60-65) with rattelella?? Bindings and a pair of rossigvol touring boots and nova exel poles. They all seem pretty much brand new other than some age on the poles.

Thanks to wooley12 for all of his help threw pms for direction
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Backcountry, Telemark, and Cross Country › New to the sport and want to start off in the backcountry