or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Canceling ski day trip due to...snow?!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Canceling ski day trip due to...snow?!

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Anyone else rumbling about the irony of having to cancel a day or two or a whole trip due to snow?

 

For example, for the past three days it has been snowing here in southern NH; driving conditions and visibility are terrible. So just skipping right to the apres ski; sitting by the fire and sipping hot cocoa.

 

But I remember a trip to Tahoe and The Basin in NM where I drove through the storms because I had booked rooms and was committed. Those ended up being incredible trips and so glad I weathered the storm.

post #2 of 12

I have never cancelled a ski day trip due to too much snow. 

post #3 of 12

I consider it really sad to cancel a ski outing due to snow, unless it is genuinely dangerous out. The threshold for "dangerous out" in this context should be determined by adventurous people who are used to driving and otherwise spending time in bad winter weather, and who are equipped with the skills, clothing, tires, etc., to do so with confidence - i.e., many skiers, not your mother-in-law.

 

That said, I totally understand that when the weather is bad out not only do you have to expend the usual activation energy to overcome your OWN inertia, but also to plow past the discouraging words and body language coming at you from all directions in the form of people who think it's nuts to go out intentionally into a snow storm with the purpose of driving into the mountains.


It's kind of like fishing. If you want to catch fish, you have to go when the fish are biting. Time and tide wait for no man, and all that. If that time and tide happen to coincide with your family's dinnertime, something has to give. Deals must be brokered. You can't just go fishing by Doodle Poll - when it's least inconvenient for all the other people in your life. Well, you can, but you will miss out on the best experiences. Same thing with skiing.

post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaplan9 View Post

Anyone else rumbling about the irony of having to cancel a day or two or a whole trip due to snow?

For example, for the past three days it has been snowing here in southern NH; driving conditions and visibility are terrible. So just skipping right to the apres ski; sitting by the fire and sipping hot cocoa.

But I remember a trip to Tahoe and The Basin in NM where I drove through the storms because I had booked rooms and was committed. Those ended up being incredible trips and so glad I weathered the storm.

Do you know twochordcool? smile.gif

Personally, I can't relate. I've always gone. Even As a kid on 'snow days'. Been late to a hill because of avy control work, and one notable 'don't go' exception was during the blizzard of '78. Other than that, I can't think of a time when cocoa was the call if the lifts were spinning.
post #5 of 12

I can't remember doing that, so long as the roads and lifts were open. I do remember my mom calling a ski day, not for snow, but for sub-zero temps. It was New Year's Day, a long time ago, we were at Berthoud Pass (when it was still a lift-served area), and she got out of the car and said, "Nope." We got back in and drove home. It was still the stretch pant era, so she tended to be a fair-weather skier. 

post #6 of 12

The worse the roads are the more inclined I am to drive to ski.

post #7 of 12

Sitting at home right now debating the same thing. Was thinking of driving up this afternoon to ski tomorrow & Wed. but with road conditions I'm relectant to do so. It's freezing rain in NYC right now but snowing further north. On a good day my drive is 5 hours to get to central VT. Might still leave later or maybe leave early in the morning after the storm passes. It wouldn't be a problem if I could wait & ski later in the week but Thurs. is Valentines day & I have to be home to take my honey out to dinner. It's not worth the drive to ski only one day. Call me undecided.

post #8 of 12

I would hit the road early if it was dumping on the last day of a multi day ski trip and I had to be back that same evening to work the following day.. long drive only though.  If it dumped at one of my my shorter 3 hour drive hills I'd keep skiing, maybe calling it only an hour sooner to give a little extra time to get back to the flatlands. 

 

I have suddenly run out to buy new tires on a Thursday morning when I realized that the drive UP Friday morning for a three day trip was very likely going to be weather hampered.  I've never been so happy with a last minute decision as I was having brand new rubber under us for that West Virginia Rt 33 trek (over 2 hours of winding mountain road) in whiteout conditions. We passed many MANY folks that weren't properly prepared that night.

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post

Sitting at home right now debating the same thing. Was thinking of driving up this afternoon to ski tomorrow & Wed. but with road conditions I'm relectant to do so. It's freezing rain in NYC right now but snowing further north. On a good day my drive is 5 hours to get to central VT. Might still leave later or maybe leave early in the morning after the storm passes. It wouldn't be a problem if I could wait & ski later in the week but Thurs. is Valentines day & I have to be home to take my honey out to dinner. It's not worth the drive to ski only one day. Call me undecided.


 



Valentines day is on Sat! Go ski!
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Great thoughts by all, thanks for sharing. I have driven through it all over the years but not today...I am ok with my decision, no regrets
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

I can't remember doing that, so long as the roads and lifts were open.

yep, last week I sat at home during a relatively minor snow event here, but really heavy in Boston,  because the governor had declared a no drive day.  Area was closed as well. 

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by core2 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
 

Sitting at home right now debating the same thing. Was thinking of driving up this afternoon to ski tomorrow & Wed. but with road conditions I'm relectant to do so. It's freezing rain in NYC right now but snowing further north. On a good day my drive is 5 hours to get to central VT. Might still leave later or maybe leave early in the morning after the storm passes. It wouldn't be a problem if I could wait & ski later in the week but Thurs. is Valentines day & I have to be home to take my honey out to dinner. It's not worth the drive to ski only one day. Call me undecided.

 



Valentines day is on Sat! Go ski!

You know that's the second time this week I messed up dates (thought Presidents day was the 23rd). Regardless I have to be home Thurs. to take my father someplace, he's to old to drive. I'm still on the fence.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Canceling ski day trip due to...snow?!