or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Long term stay in North America
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Long term stay in North America

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
I live in Israel and plan on having a 2-3 months stay in a resort in North America next ski season.
From what I figured out so far my best choices are either Vail or Whistler.
Would like any input on these resorts (or throw in one you think will better suit me)
Please take into consideration resort size, social and night life, and cost (where can I stay for a couple of month in the resort?). Also how common are long term stays there

Thanks
post #2 of 27
I would consider where you can stay that offers other resorts nearby. That rules out Whistler. Consider somewhere in Colorado or Utah.
Will you have your own transport? If not, go for somewhere with a good bus service.
Are you wanting somewhere that is catered, or an apartment where you do everything?
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
I will not have my own transport and I was thinking more of an apartment like accomodation just not exactly sure how to arrange such a thing.
How complicated will one/few days trip to nearby resorts be if I stay in Vail, for instance?
post #4 of 27

Not having your own transportation in the US is hard--let alone trying to ski without it.

 

Unless you are eating out a lot, willing to make long walks to just about anything, and okay with being very limited in where you can go I would suggest getting a car, at least for part of that trip. I do realize a 2-3 month rental would be super expensive, and not 100% needed every day.

 

Nothing on the East Coast would be efficient for you, and even most places out west. Things are just so darn spread out.

 

Summit County has a bus system that connects Copper, Breck, and Keystone. I have extended family living in Breck that use it nearby their house. The schedule is not extensive however, and very much geared towards getting from hotels to skiing I think.

 

Aspen may have a bus system between Aspen and Snowmass.

 

SLC has some public transportation, and from what I have read could be you best general bet.

 

You may also want to find an area that has Zip Car rental service to get groceries, or at least a car rental spot nearby.

post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wear The Fox Hat View Post

I would consider where you can stay that offers other resorts nearby. That rules out Whistler.

Why? Whistlers huge and has an amazing variety of skiing.
post #6 of 27
He's planning far in advance, maybe he should stay away from coastal resorts after the last two seasons? Stick to Colorado?
post #7 of 27

Vail - It will be hard to find accommodation in Vail at a reasonable price. You could keep an eye on Craigslist for a house share but I know a patroller who works in Vail and stays in Summit county as he can not find anything closer at a reasonable price.

 

I am a little anti Whistler as it rains there a lot in the ski season I would guess it would be OK if you pick your days but it has been really crappy there this year.

 

Summit county Colorado would be a possible option. I have seen ski houses there on Craigslist and you can get to Breckenridge and Keystone on free buses.

 

Salt Lake City would be my choice. Stay in Sandy on a bus route. There are lots of inexpensive efficiency apartments and SLC has a good bus service including buses to the 4 local resorts.

 

But in your position I would buy a clunker. $1500 should get you something that will run and you should get most of that back when you sell it. You would really need a car to get the most out of your stay.

post #8 of 27

Last season at the Utah Gathering we had a new member join us at Alta. He was from Montreal and took a 2 month leave from work and rented an apartment in Sandy Utah. He might be a big help but the only problem is I can't remember his EpicSki name. I think his real name is Eric.

post #9 of 27
Thread Starter 
So I understand it comes down to Colorado resorts or Salt Lake City. But what about social and night life? I imagine staying in some deserted town in Colorado will be pretty boring apre ski, and what about SLC?
By the way I thought whistler should be big enough to entertain the average skier for atleast a month or so.

About the car, are there really no buses connecting between adjacent resorts in Summit County? I'm still leaning towards passing on the car idea if not necessary
post #10 of 27

I'll speak up for Whistler.  The chance of another ski season like this one happening next year is quite slim, so there should be plenty of snow.  The whining about weather comes from folks who spend a week and get hosed, but if you're there for months there will be lots and lots of great weather days.  On the crappy days, you stay home and take care of your laundry, go to the store, vacuum, etc. so that you're ready for the next hit of great skiing.

 

You'll have lots of new snow and fabulous terrain.  There is tons of it and you won't have any problem staying entertained for two months.

 

The party scene is intense.  It goes every night until 4 am if you want. (I assume that you're not a really dedicated skier since partying hard tends to preclude first tracks, but to each their own.)

 

You will not need a car.  In fact for most people it's a liability.  However, if you want less expensive lodging than is available in Whistler you'll need one to get to Pemberton or Squamish where things are more reasonable.

 

It is not cheap, but neither is Vail and the CDN $ is down right now while the US $ is up.

post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
 

I'll speak up for Whistler.  The chance of another ski season like this one happening next year is quite slim, so there should be plenty of snow.  The whining about weather comes from folks who spend a week and get hosed, but if you're there for months there will be lots and lots of great weather days.  On the crappy days, you stay home and take care of your laundry, go to the store, vacuum, etc. so that you're ready for the next hit of great skiing.

 

You'll have lots of new snow and fabulous terrain.  There is tons of it and you won't have any problem staying entertained for two months.

 

The party scene is intense.  It goes every night until 4 am if you want. (I assume that you're not a really dedicated skier since partying hard tends to preclude first tracks, but to each their own.)

 

You will not need a car.  In fact for most people it's a liability.  However, if you want less expensive lodging than is available in Whistler you'll need one to get to Pemberton or Squamish where things are more reasonable.

 

It is not cheap, but neither is Vail and the CDN $ is down right now while the US $ is up.

 

Great post.

 

2 months of reasonably priced accommodation is the problem with Whistler.

post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by meroosher View Post

About the car, are there really no buses connecting between adjacent resorts in Summit County? I'm still leaning towards passing on the car idea if not necessary

You need to change your way of thinking if you're not having your own transport. 

 

Yes, you can get from the towns to the ski resort by bus rather easily. Less easy is to go shopping or just going out. Quite difficult to go from one resort to another. 

 

So, staying AT RESORT such as Vail without your own transport would leave you stuck at Vail. 

 

Quote:
But what about social and night life? I imagine staying in some deserted town in Colorado will be pretty boring apre ski?

 

Real people live in real towns. Frisco, Silverthrone, even Breckenridge. 

 

Tourist stay at Vail.

 

So it depends on the kind of people you want to hang out with. 

post #13 of 27
I wouldn't stay in Sandy. Sure the skiing in LCC is great (I'm not in love with Solitude), but do you really want to travel halfway around the globe to live in suburbia?

Of the places I've been to, Whistler or Jackson would be top picks, I haven't been to T-Ride or Aspen, but those seen interesting. Can't imagine you would need a car in those towns either.

Plus hitching is always an option. I stop for people with ski (or climbing) gear, and many others do as well.
post #14 of 27
Maybe stay in Park City? We didn't have a car and the bus to the local three--Park City, Canyons, Deer Valley--was very doable. Don't know about the cost of staying three months, though! And Park City is fun in the evening.
post #15 of 27

If the guy can afford $4000 a month then a room within walking distance is possible in Vail. I am guessing Park City will be similar and Whistler maybe a little less.

 

With a car things can get cheaper but Vail and Park City never get really cheap.

 

You know what ticks all the boxes? What about Steamboat Springs. Funky town with good bus service and excellent skiing.

post #16 of 27
Thread Starter 
I checked Craigslist as TQA advised and house sharing proved to be very cheap. Prices are around $1000/mo (central locations) both in Vail and Whistler so it's not that bad.
Someone suggest Aspen - too damn expensive.

I think my vision is kind of to stay in a big resort where I have a lot to do and from time to time I might tour other resorts or towns nearby. So I guess Park City does sort of meets the requirements.
Like manchester81 said, I don't travel half way across the world to stay in the suburbs.
post #17 of 27

You can do this!  Keep investigating.  You are asking your question in a good website for answers.

I'm currently staying for two weeks in a low budget motel near Vail and Beaver Creek on a public bus line convenient to both places.  Low budget and Vail usually don't go together. Send private msg if you want more details.  Cost is $250-350 per week, perhaps less if you negotiated season long rent with owner.  But it's super basic and very small room.  You would probably want to buy your own small refrigerator and microwave for meals.  EpicPass season pass would be good deal in this situation and you could probably identify friends after a while to take you to Breck/Keystone/Arapahoe Basin ski areas on occasion.  

Room sharing in a house is also a good idea, but hard to find at low price within easy walking or bus distance from the resorts.

post #18 of 27
I'm not anti-Whistler, I think it's a great resort to go to for a couple of weeks at a time, but if I was going for longer, Id want the option to go to other resorts, or even take the odd day off from skiing and do something else.
The cheaper accommodation in Whistler is at Creekside, but the better nightlife (and main lift access) is at the main base. For Colorado, I'd suggest Breckenridge as a base, then bus it from there to other resorts, or Silverthorne if you don't mind bussing it to any resort. Utah - Park City for a base at a ski resort, or Sandy for a base in the city.
post #19 of 27

Cars can be had cheap if you keep looking regularly.  Join the loyalty programs of various rental companies and look for deals.  I'm on a month long road trip in the U.S. Rockies and got an all wheel drive mid size SUV for $787 for the month including all taxes.  Having your own transport gives you much much much more freedom of movement.  It can be done without but at too steep a price in movement restrictions for me anyway.

post #20 of 27
Car rental gets into insurance issues and as he's from overseas, I'm sure that's an extra fee that needs to be considered.
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by meroosher View Post

So I understand it comes down to Colorado resorts or Salt Lake City. But what about social and night life? I imagine staying in some deserted town in Colorado will be pretty boring apre ski, and what about SLC?
By the way I thought whistler should be big enough to entertain the average skier for atleast a month or so.

About the car, are there really no buses connecting between adjacent resorts in Summit County? I'm still leaning towards passing on the car idea if not necessary


     So I'm not really sure why people keep saying that the bus system in Summit isn't all that extensive. It runs over the whole county and with the exception of the swan mountain flyer, which only runs to Arapahoe Basin and Keystone ski areas, the buses run till 2 am. Breck has pretty good night life with a good choice of bars and a few clubish places. If you really wanted a night of partying you could grab a shuttle down to Denver for $70 round trip which is a little pricey but if your only doing it once or twice still way cheaper then a rental. If you did a house share you could probably convince one of your roommates to head to Denver with you anyways. I used to live in Colorado Springs and most of the time when I drove up to Summit the car stayed parked until we left again.  

 

The other huge advantage of Summit county is now that Vail Resorts has started allowing first time purchasers to buy the Epic pass online for ~$600 you have unlimited skiing at all the resorts in the county with the exception of Loveland. You didn't mention how old you are most of the younger crowd bases in Breck for seasonal stays, cheaper accommodation can be found in Frisco and it's an easy bus ride over to Breck for any night life you would want though you have to cut out about a half hour before the bars close to make the last bus back. 

 

SLC is another option but the city doesn't have the most vibrant night life largely due to the political climate and laws that are still in place. Park City may be better I have not stayed there. Other then those two places there really isn't any where else in the U.S I would recommend doing without a car.

 

Coming from Israel is there any reason you don't want to go to Europe? Much friendlier for going without a vehicle and if you ever got the itch to change locales a train ticket is super cheap. You could even plan on traveling between countries so your not in one place for more then a few weeks.         

post #22 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf210 View Post


Coming from Israel is there any reason you don't want to go to Europe? Much friendlier for going without a vehicle and if you ever got the itch to change locales a train ticket is super cheap. You could even plan on traveling between countries so your not in one place for more then a few weeks.         

I have a few reasons actually:
1. I have skied a lot in Europe and want to try a new place entirely.
2. US is way cheaper sustenance-wise.
3. As part of my trip I'm also visiting some other sites (NY, California and some Vegas of course).
4. Continuing to Central and South America after, so it's kind of a stop on the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf210 View Post


The other huge advantage of Summit county is now that Vail Resorts has started allowing first time purchasers to buy the Epic pass online for ~$600 you have unlimited skiing at all the resorts in the county with the exception of Loveland. You didn't mention how old you are most of the younger crowd bases in Breck for seasonal stays, cheaper accommodation can be found in Frisco and it's an easy bus ride over to Breck for any night life you would want though you have to cut out about a half hour before the bars close to make the last bus back.

I'll be 22. Just so I'll get it right for sure, Breckenridge has better nighlife than Vail village?
Because I consider social interactions as a big part of my stay over there.
Edited by meroosher - 2/9/15 at 9:39am
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by meroosher View Post


I have a few reasons actually:
1. I have skied a lot in Europe and want to try a new place entirely.
2. US is way cheaper sustenance-wise.
3. As part of my trip I'm also visiting some other sites (NY, California and some Vegas of course).
4. Continuing to Central and South America after, so it's kind of a stop on the way.


Ah makes sense. What time of year will you be coming through are we talking Dec-Feb or more like Feb-Apr? 

post #24 of 27
Thread Starter 
Lonewolf210, I Edited my last post and added information before you posted and can't edit again.
Planning on Dec-Feb.
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by meroosher View Post

Lonewolf210, I Edited my last post and added information before you posted and can't edit again.
Planning on Dec-Feb.


To be fair I haven't spent a lot of time in Vail village but yes Breckenridge has much better night life. The cost of Vail tends to keep the crowd older there, tends to be more upscale restaurants and less bars. You encounter people driving from Vail to Breck fairly regularly for the nightlife scene.  If you decide on Summit send me a PM and I can give you some recommendations on places to go. If you really want to try a unique experience make some friends with a car and head over to Loveland pass on a full moon. Turns into a big party at the bottom of the pass.

 

Dec is super hit and miss in Colorado. Some years the whole mountain will be open and others they are still making snow to cover the intermediate terrain.     

post #26 of 27

If December is super hit and miss in Colorado, what do you call California?

post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by meroosher View Post


I have a few reasons actually:
1. I have skied a lot in Europe and want to try a new place entirely.
2. US is way cheaper sustenance-wise.
3. As part of my trip I'm also visiting some other sites (NY, California and some Vegas of course).
4. Continuing to Central and South America after, so it's kind of a stop on the way.
I'll be 22. Just so I'll get it right for sure, Breckenridge has better nighlife than Vail village?
Because I consider social interactions as a big part of my stay over there.

Sounds like you live a life of luxury. Go to Telluride and be done with it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Long term stay in North America