or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › A layman’s look at the 2015 SIA demo days at Copper
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A layman’s look at the 2015 SIA demo days at Copper - Page 3

post #61 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post


I think this is being a bit misrepresented.

 

yes it is.  You did suggest I get a pair but its friday.  

post #62 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

YES!  interesting though that there isn't and SL in her quiver.....  jk.gif   YET........

I think this is being a bit misrepresented.


Of course, it is the internet...
post #63 of 82

He described what he was looking for in a particular ski, and I said, Yeah, you are describing an SL. 

 

That is all. 

post #64 of 82
Hmmm... Doesn't add up. Fin would never buy a pair of skis unless your pressure was unrelenting rolleyes.gif
post #65 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeib View Post

Hmmm... Doesn't add up. Fin would never buy a pair of skis unless your pressure was unrelenting rolleyes.gif

totally!  See, @cgeib understands......  

post #66 of 82
Um, in my observation the pressure required to get Finndog to buy a pair of skis could best be described as "slight and transient." No offense, Finn; your habit represents a public service to bears, from an entertainment point of view and also as a kind of convenient depreciation sink for new gear. smile.gif
post #67 of 82
P.S., If any of you buys SLs, it's only a matter of time before you attend an eastern gathering. Just be aware of that before you do anything crazy.
post #68 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post

Um, in my observation the pressure required to get Finndog to buy a pair of skis could best be described as "slight and transient." No offense, Finn; your habit represents a public service to bears, from an entertainment point of view and also as a kind of convenient depreciation sink for new gear. smile.gif

 

Never offended!  Its fun for me.  I buy well and pass along the deals to my fellow skiers. I love it when someone gets my stuff and really appreciates the value. I get a note every now and then from folks with pics of my gear in various resorts and backcountry area's.  I love it!  I would rather sell it for less to someone who really needs it any day.  Thumbs Up

post #69 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
 

 

Never offended!  Its fun for me.  I buy well and pass along the deals to my fellow skiers. I love it when someone gets my stuff and really appreciates the value. I get a note every now and then from folks with pics of my gear in various resorts and backcountry area's.  I love it!  I would rather sell it for less to someone who really needs it any day.  Thumbs Up

Not sure how much any of us really need newer gear. For sure, we really want! Having said that, I still use the OP Jacket and RAB Shell that I bought many years ago. Good stuff stays good for a long time.

post #70 of 82

From all the great reviews I am really interested interested in the Fischer Motive 95ti. Did anyone try the 186? Wouldn't that be better for some of the reviewers, or is that length of this ski a different ski? 

 

Does the Motive ski long? Just curious why no one talks about the longer length.

 

I also don't see much about this ski in powder. Obviously it is not a fat powder specific ski, but how does it do in up to 12" of new snow?

 

Anyone able to compare this to the Liberty Variant 97?

 

Thanks!

post #71 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwrivers View Post
 

but how does it do in up to 12" of new snow?

 

 

 

 

How's your skill set? A 95 waist in 12" or less should be no problem. 

post #72 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post
 

 

 

How's your skill set? A 95 waist in 12" or less should be no problem. 


It's funny because I remember when a 70 waist was huge, and I skied those all over the mountain no problem. Narrowest ski I've been on in years is 105 in a backcountry/powder ski with lots of tip rocker (I'd call it elf shoe). So, I guess I'm just so used to fats a 95 seems mighty skinny.

 

I really appreciate the detailed reviews on here.

post #73 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwrivers View Post
 

From all the great reviews I am really interested interested in the Fischer Motive 95ti. Did anyone try the 186? Wouldn't that be better for some of the reviewers, or is that length of this ski a different ski? 

 

Does the Motive ski long? Just curious why no one talks about the longer length.

 

I also don't see much about this ski in powder. Obviously it is not a fat powder specific ski, but how does it do in up to 12" of new snow?

 

Anyone able to compare this to the Liberty Variant 97?

 

Thanks!

The majority of the talk is centered around the 180 as it seems to be the "right" length for a wide variety of skiers. It has a wide-ish tip that does extend down a bit (not an abruptly tapered shovel with a big sidecut)  that does float rather well.  If the snow is soft, it can handle a foot without issue.  At about a foot, I personally like a little wider for the sensation as it gets you up a little from the 95. not getting into ski construction but width isn't the last word on float.  

post #74 of 82

FWIW, if the motive 95 was my choice, I'd ski a 186, but I'm 200 lbs.

post #75 of 82

Thanks Finndog! Markojp, I'm 5'11" 190. Which length would you recommend? Also, I have read a bunch of reviews on here of this ski, but I forget if you liked it or not? If not, why not?

post #76 of 82
Thread Starter 
I'm 5'10", 180-185 (I really don't know right this moment). I got the 180 Motive in some pretty ideal 6-8" at Targhee this past wheneveritwas we were there, it was great. The Motive is definitely softer than a Bonafide or a E100, and its ability to float more (along with the tip that Finndog accurately describes) reflects that. The 180 also felt nimble in trees and bumps, and stable on groomers (while trying to keep up with a rep from Idaho based Sega Ski Co.). Further, it had more fore/aft forgiveness than say, the 177 Enforcer.

I want to try the 186 Motive (among a zillion other skis), but my gut says that some of the specialness might be lost in that length for me ("for me" is this magical Epicski disclaimer warning: "I liked it/hated it, but YMMV" type of thing).

I don't want to tell you to "eh, just demo them both" although that is ideal, but not always easy. Instead, give us a little beta on where you ski/how you ski/what you want it for, if you would. That will help some of the masters (experience, not age; well, also probably age...) like Phil and markojp flesh out some of the nerdy nuance of what we are all pining for if we are down to agonizing over 6cm difference in a particular ski...
post #77 of 82

Thanks FairToMiddlin.  Your description of the ski sounds a lot like what I want: float in powder, nimble in trees, stable on groomers. I'd also like it to be stable in soft chop, and hold and edge well on firmer off-piste conditions too.  I will probably use this ski most days, with a fatter ski for deep days. My home hill is Bridger Bowl, Montana, but I ski Big Sky at least 5 days a year. May get down to Jackson/Targhee or hit some other western resorts.

 

I came to skiing via the backcountry and still have a deep love for powder and soft snow. Until my kids came along I didn't ski a lot of groomers, although as a former PSIA instructor I do enjoy a good carved turn. I like off-piste black diamond/double diamond runs, and enjoy steep narrow chutes (skied slowly) and then opening it up on more open faces. As a former tele skier I still am learning to just let go and fly, but I'm enjoying learning that. I want a ski that comes around easily in tight spaces, and that doesn't need speed to turn and have fun, but that is solid, stable, carves well, and can ski cut up powder at speed without deflecting a lot. 

post #78 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairToMiddlin View Post

I'm 5'10", 180-185 (I really don't know right this moment). I got the 180 Motive in some pretty ideal 6-8" at Targhee this past wheneveritwas we were there, it was great. The Motive is definitely softer than a Bonafide or a E100, and its ability to float more (along with the tip that Finndog accurately describes) reflects that. The 180 also felt nimble in trees and bumps, and stable on groomers (while trying to keep up with a rep from Idaho based Sega Ski Co.). Further, it had more fore/aft forgiveness than say, the 177 Enforcer.

I want to try the 186 Motive (among a zillion other skis), but my gut says that some of the specialness might be lost in that length for me ("for me" is this magical Epicski disclaimer warning: "I liked it/hated it, but YMMV" type of thing).

I don't want to tell you to "eh, just demo them both" although that is ideal, but not always easy. Instead, give us a little beta on where you ski/how you ski/what you want it for, if you would. That will help some of the masters (experience, not age; well, also probably age...) like Phil and markojp flesh out some of the nerdy nuance of what we are all pining for if we are down to agonizing over 6cm difference in a particular ski...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwrivers View Post
 

Thanks FairToMiddlin.  Your description of the ski sounds a lot like what I want: float in powder, nimble in trees, stable on groomers. I'd also like it to be stable in soft chop, and hold and edge well on firmer off-piste conditions too.  I will probably use this ski most days, with a fatter ski for deep days. My home hill is Bridger Bowl, Montana, but I ski Big Sky at least 5 days a year. May get down to Jackson/Targhee or hit some other western resorts.

 

I came to skiing via the backcountry and still have a deep love for powder and soft snow. Until my kids came along I didn't ski a lot of groomers, although as a former PSIA instructor I do enjoy a good carved turn. I like off-piste black diamond/double diamond runs, and enjoy steep narrow chutes (skied slowly) and then opening it up on more open faces. As a former tele skier I still am learning to just let go and fly, but I'm enjoying learning that. I want a ski that comes around easily in tight spaces, and that doesn't need speed to turn and have fun, but that is solid, stable, carves well, and can ski cut up powder at speed without deflecting a lot. 

 

You just described the 95..  I will add that the 95 has a very smooth and even flex throughout the ski, It is a very predictable ski. The tips are slightly softer than the tails; especially at the very top which I think is what makes them absorb energy in the bumps.   

post #79 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
 

 

 

 

You just described the 95..  I will add that the 95 has a very smooth and even flex throughout the ski, It is a very predictable ski. The tips are slightly softer than the tails; especially at the very top which I think is what makes them absorb energy in the bumps.   


Awesome, thanks Finndog. After reading the reviews on here that is what it sounded like. There are some pretty good deals out there on last year's model so I might just pull the trigger. I'm also considering the Liberty Variant 97, partly because I like Liberty skis, and partly because I have  a line on a great deal on a pair of those.  Anyone have any experience on those or know how they compare to the Motive 95?

post #80 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwrivers View Post
 


Awesome, thanks Finndog. After reading the reviews on here that is what it sounded like. There are some pretty good deals out there on last year's model so I might just pull the trigger. I'm also considering the Liberty Variant 97, partly because I like Liberty skis, and partly because I have  a line on a great deal on a pair of those.  Anyone have any experience on those or know how they compare to the Motive 95?

 

 

Sierra trading post has both the Motive 95 and the Varient 97 on sale.  Also, sigh up with Active Jucky and get 6-8% additional refund.  http://www.activejunky.com/

post #81 of 82
Missed out on the Liberty Variants. Snooze, you lose. So, it looks like I'm closer to getting the Motive 95. Level9 has great deals on them.
post #82 of 82

I can't imagine you won't like them....but different strokes for different folks.  I have the 174 and they will probably be my daily driver.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Gear Reviews
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › A layman’s look at the 2015 SIA demo days at Copper