or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Park city in late March

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

Hi all, need some advice regarding Utah, I am going to Utah on Mar 25-30

and wondering how bad will Park city be on Late march?


my plan is to do Altabird the first day (24 hours boarding pass) , and 1 day in alta, and 1day in snowbird, and ski and stay in Park city for the last two days as I have couple coupons from Helly Hansen, which will bring the deal down to $212 for 4 tickets

 

How is the PC in late march? will it be much worse than Alta bird? and as I am on the topic of Utah, is an Elan 88xti be wide enough for day to day in Utah? or should I just suck it up and rent the skis. 

post #2 of 28
It depends if it snows.

As far as the skis, do u ski groomers or other stuff? If there's now pow or u just ski groomers, your skis are fine.
post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 
I would love to try the famous Utah pow, so I would say it's 30 groom 70% pow?
post #4 of 28
Thread Starter 
And I am from ice coast so I have never really ski in true pow before, my deepest pow experience was binding deep
post #5 of 28
Your skis will likeybe fine. The chances of getting power this year don't seem that great. If u get a ton, u could rent power skis there.
post #6 of 28
Powder skis, not power skis smile.gif
post #7 of 28

In a normal year it would be fine. This year who knows. We just had one of the driest Januarys on record and it is raining right now at PC base.

post #8 of 28

Will be out there at the same time, so might just keep checking this and/or newer threads.

 

 

 

Do have 1 quick question for those in the know:  wife and I plan to have 1/2 day on Sat March 28 and are afraid of crazy long lift lines.  Would we be better served at PCMR or Canyons that afternoon?  Or should we just make the trek to Snowbasin that day? 

 

Above assumes snow equal or close to it; we plan to hit LCC (well, at least Alta) on the Tues and Weds following...

 

 

Also, as it is my first post here, want to say that I was happy to find this place.  It even motivated my decrepit old ass to do some squats and lunges after work. :-)

post #9 of 28

Except for holidays, PC areas usually do not have crazy long lift lines. At least so far. 

post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Steve View Post

Except for holidays, PC areas usually do not have crazy long lift lines. At least so far. 

Agree. Canyons almost always has shorter lift lines and easier parking than PCMR, but I don't see either being a problem then.
post #11 of 28

Thanks fellas.

 

Will have to see what the snow looks like closer to tee time, but will plan to try out Canyons on that Saturday.

post #12 of 28
Quote:
How is the PC in late march? will it be much worse than Alta bird?

If it's warm, much worse.   If you want to try places other than Alta/Bird, go for Brighton or Solitude. Altitude and exposure are the keys to quality spring skiing, and the Park City areas are mediocre on both counts.  The current season, being much warmer and drier than average, may accentuate the difference between the Cottonwood areas and Park City.

 

Weather is variable, so major storm cycles in late March that result in good skiing everywhere in Utah are far from unknown.  With a car and the discount day tickets from ski shops in SLC, last minute ski decisions are easy.  But I think it's a mistake to commit to staying in Park City during the late season when odds favor LCC/BCC skiing being so much better.


Edited by Tony Crocker - 2/7/15 at 4:04pm
post #13 of 28
Thread Starter 
Great info, thanks guys I will try to stick with altabird
post #14 of 28
I'm a few weeks late to this thread and appreciate the suggestions. I'm in SLC March 20/21 for work. It will be my first time skiing Utah (done CO several times) and want to try out 2 ski areas to possibly come back to another year. I'm an advanced skier but don't enjoy die if you fall steeps.

I only have Saturday and Sunday to ski. Being mid-late March I hear PC doesn't bode as well in the warmer weather so I was thinking of skiing Alta/Bird. Alta Saturday to get the legs loose and The Bird on Sunday cuz it might be less crowded than on Saturday and I'll be warmed up for some challenging steeps.

Then my father in law tells me I HAVE to try park city and snowbird which are his favs based on skiing them 25 years ago. I've heard park city attracts the more guppy elitist culture but sounds like alta does too. Should I attempt the "legendary" park city for the experience or stick with AltaBird? Thanks
post #15 of 28

Why not just wait and see where the snow is?

post #16 of 28

I'm not sure about PCMR attracting the elitest guppy culture, but for snow quality Alta/Snbowbird is an easy call. 

post #17 of 28

Should I wait to buy tickets in SLC or buy them in advance? wouldn't there be significant savings advantage to purchasing them sooner rather than later?

post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Big Ern View Post
 

Should I wait to buy tickets in SLC or buy them in advance? wouldn't there be significant savings advantage to purchasing them sooner rather than later?

 

Park City & Canyons pricing seems pretty consistent, $84 through the website so long as you purchase by 11:59 pm the day before you want to ski. I haven't seen any better deals than those on their website. Buying this far in advance won't make much difference for Alta or Snowbird either unless you find some smoking deal. Probably best to wait and see what the weather/conditions are like.

 

Will you have a car? If you're relying on the bus, the Cottonwood Canyon resorts are a lot easier.

post #19 of 28
Quote:
Should I attempt the "legendary" park city for the experience

Absolutely not.  Utah ski resorts may well have both the driest January AND driest February on record, plus being much warmer than average.  The Park City areas sustain far more damage than the Cottonwoods in that scenario.

post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
 

Absolutely not.  Utah ski resorts may well have both the driest January AND driest February on record, plus being much warmer than average.  The Park City areas sustain far more damage than the Cottonwoods in that scenario.

I think still not as bad as 2011, but I really hope the pattern to be like 2011 now:

http://www.onthesnow.ca/utah/alta-ski-area/historical-snowfall.html?&y=2011

post #21 of 28
Alta's own website has daily snowfall since 2004-05. OnTheSnow often has missing data. 2010-11 was a great year. How anyone could believe Alta had no January snow is beyond me.
post #22 of 28
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going AtlaBird all the way. I will be taking the bus from downtown SLC. With that and the conditions and the price it sounds like BCC is the way to go. Sorry for double posting also, new to the forum.

Keep Calm and Ski On
post #23 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post

Alta's own website has daily snowfall since 2004-05. OnTheSnow often has missing data. 2010-11 was a great year. How anyone could believe Alta had no January snow is beyond me.

Thats great to hear, as I am going late March, never ski west of Mississippi, let alone Utah, but looking at their data, wow.. this year has only 1/4 of the average snow? thats awful, ticket is bought either way..

Is there good place to stay in SLC with bus to Alta bird? 

post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by richDDT View Post
 

Thats great to hear, as I am going late March, never ski west of Mississippi, let alone Utah, but looking at their data, wow.. this year has only 1/4 of the average snow? thats awful, ticket is bought either way..

Is there good place to stay in SLC with bus to Alta bird? 

Here's a link to the ski service bus.  I'm staying downtown (because that's where my company has me during the week).  Looks like midvale and sandy have a slough of hotels closer and a shorter bus trip if you don't mind not being downtown.  Make sure you check the time schedules for all routes (including trains if needed) because some of them don't run very frequently especially on the weekends. 

 

http://www.rideuta.com/mc/?page=RidingUTA-SkiService

post #25 of 28
Alta is not at 1/4 snowfall, it's somewhat over half. DO NOT USE OnTheSnow for season snowfall data!!! Use Alta's website!
post #26 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post

Alta is not at 1/4 snowfall, it's somewhat over half. DO NOT USE OnTheSnow for season snowfall data!!! Use Alta's website!

 

Here is where I get the data from, you are right, I exaggerated, and jumped the gun , 25% number was for Feb, which hasn't end yet!

http://www.alta.com/pages/snowfallhistory.php

 

Jan cumulative season snow: 193.0"-163.5" = 29.5 ,

Average of past five January : 73.2 = 40%

Average of last 15 January :   95.40 = 31%

 

Feb cumulative season snow as of Feb 21: 218.0"- 193.0"=  25.0,

Average of past five Feb: 83.5 = 30%

Average of last 15 Feb:  90.85 = 27.5%
 

Hopefully there is going to be a lot and a lot of big storm to come 

post #27 of 28

I interpreted the 25% comment as season-to-date.  November was below average, December about average, and January/February-to-date about 30%.

 

I came across those OnTheSnow bar graphs a couple of years ago and hoped I could use them to expand in-season reporting to more areas. Unfortunately those graphs can't be relied upon for a whole season. They are best used for the past week or two to get an idea how fresh or old the snow surfaces are.

 

Consolidator sites like OnTheSnow presumably have software to read ski area websites and extract data automatically.  Therefore snowfalls can be double counted, or more likely missed completely,and there seems to be no human quality control of the data. When I do my reports twice a month http://www.bestsnow.net/seas15.htm, it's a minimum 3 hour job collecting from individual area websites, checking/comparing for reasonability, inputting to a spreadsheet to get season-to-date percents of normal, then updating the report. 

post #28 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
 

I interpreted the 25% comment as season-to-date.  November was below average, December about average, and January/February-to-date about 30%.

 

I came across those OnTheSnow bar graphs a couple of years ago and hoped I could use them to expand in-season reporting to more areas. Unfortunately those graphs can't be relied upon for a whole season. They are best used for the past week or two to get an idea how fresh or old the snow surfaces are.

 

Consolidator sites like OnTheSnow presumably have software to read ski area websites and extract data automatically.  Therefore snowfalls can be double counted, or more likely missed completely,and there seems to be no human quality control of the data. When I do my reports twice a month http://www.bestsnow.net/seas15.htm, it's a minimum 3 hour job collecting from individual area websites, checking/comparing for reasonability, inputting to a spreadsheet to get season-to-date percents of normal, then updating the report. 

Awesome info!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel