or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Ski Suggestions anyone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ski Suggestions anyone?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I've been starting to do a bit of back/sidecountry skiing in Maine with some of my friends this year and am looking to upgrade my skis next winter. I'm tall but pretty light (6'2", 150lbs) so I've found I have a hard time turning in tight trees with the old Mantras I got from my friend. I'd qualify myself as an intermediate skiier: I can ski almost all the groomers in Eastern resorts but am still learning how to ski off-piste and ski for 15-20 days a year. 

 

Overall, I'm looking for a pair of skis that's reasonably light and easy to turn in tight trees for someone with my height and weight. Any suggestions?

post #2 of 9

The Nordica Patrons don't have a weight requirement and are sweet in the woods.

 

Some discussion here:http://www.epicski.com/t/126067/nordica-patron-185cm-as-an-east-coast-tree-ski

post #3 of 9

I've heard great things about the Patrons, but they might be a little on the fat side for eastern groomers. Have you liked the Mantras, other than finding them tough to turn in the woods? Maybe stepping down to a shorter size on the Kendos, or the Blizzard Brahma. If you're getting into some backcountry skiing, you might want to check out the Volkl Nanuq. It's a similar shape to the Mantra but a bit lighter. You may even look into the new Mantras. They're fully rockered now, which might make them a bit easier to whip around in the trees. I've found that my Mantras from last year have been pretty easy to get around in tight spaces, but I'm also about 40 pounds heavier than you are.

post #4 of 9
A back country / soft snow / tight tree ski for Maine and a ski for icy groomers in Maine dictate two polar opposite skis. Sorry to break the bad news. Patron fits the first bucket well. Closest thing to a tweener is something like a Blizzard Bushwacker or Fischer Ranger. At your weight / height ratio I would stay away from shorter and stiffer (Kendo, Mantra, Brahma) and go longer and softer.
post #5 of 9
Icelantic nomads are a super fun, easy to ski tree skiing machines if the waist width doesn't bother you(105mm underfoot I think).
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post

A back country / soft snow / tight tree ski for Maine and a ski for icy groomers in Maine dictate two polar opposite skis. Sorry to break the bad news. Patron fits the first bucket well. Closest thing to a tweener is something like a Blizzard Bushwacker or Fischer Ranger. At your weight / height ratio I would stay away from shorter and stiffer (Kendo, Mantra, Brahma) and go longer and softer.

Good point. My Mantras feel soft to me, but I guess that's because I ski on world cup race skis most days.

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post

A back country / soft snow / tight tree ski for Maine and a ski for icy groomers in Maine dictate two polar opposite skis. Sorry to break the bad news. Patron fits the first bucket well. Closest thing to a tweener is something like a Blizzard Bushwacker or Fischer Ranger. At your weight / height ratio I would stay away from shorter and stiffer (Kendo, Mantra, Brahma) and go longer and softer.

No bad news, I'm well aware of the differences between tree skis and on-piste skis around here. Like I said I'm looking for a light, tree skiing oriented ski, preferably one light enough to do a bit of touring on. I am sure I want something softer than the Mantras as one of the biggest issues I've run into with them is their stiffness (given my weight). How's the stiffness on the Patron and what would you recommend as a good length for it? Also, wouldn't longer skis make it harder to maneuver in tight trees?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by east coast ice View Post
 

I've heard great things about the Patrons, but they might be a little on the fat side for eastern groomers. Have you liked the Mantras, other than finding them tough to turn in the woods? Maybe stepping down to a shorter size on the Kendos, or the Blizzard Brahma. If you're getting into some backcountry skiing, you might want to check out the Volkl Nanuq. It's a similar shape to the Mantra but a bit lighter. You may even look into the new Mantras. They're fully rockered now, which might make them a bit easier to whip around in the trees. I've found that my Mantras from last year have been pretty easy to get around in tight spaces, but I'm also about 40 pounds heavier than you are.

Frankly I haven't been a massive fan of the Mantras. The stiffness is a big factor for someone my weight, and while they're really nice and stable at high speeds I've found getting nice turns out of them to be... troublesome. I've checked out the Brahma before, do you have any more comments on how it performs? 

 

Thanks for the feedback all

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanodroma View Post
 

No bad news, I'm well aware of the differences between tree skis and on-piste skis around here. Like I said I'm looking for a light, tree skiing oriented ski, preferably one light enough to do a bit of touring on. I am sure I want something softer than the Mantras as one of the biggest issues I've run into with them is their stiffness (given my weight). How's the stiffness on the Patron and what would you recommend as a good length for it? Also, wouldn't longer skis make it harder to maneuver in tight trees?

 

Frankly I haven't been a massive fan of the Mantras. The stiffness is a big factor for someone my weight, and while they're really nice and stable at high speeds I've found getting nice turns out of them to be... troublesome. I've checked out the Brahma before, do you have any more comments on how it performs? 

 

Thanks for the feedback all

I decided between the Brahmas and the Mantras this fall. I haven't skied the Brahma's before, but I know people who have skied both those and the Mantras. According to them, the Brahma's were a bit softer and a bit more playful. Based on their feedback, I went with the Mantras. It sounds like the Brahmas might be more what you're looking for, and hopefully somebody who has more experience with them can give you more details about how they perform.

post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanodroma View Post
 

 Like I said I'm looking for a light, tree skiing oriented ski, preferably one light enough to do a bit of touring on. I am sure I want something softer than the Mantras as one of the biggest issues I've run into with them is their stiffness (given my weight). How's the stiffness on the Patron and what would you recommend as a good length for it? Also, wouldn't longer skis make it harder to maneuver in tight trees?

 

Patrons have a wood/carbon core and no metal laminates that creates a very responsive, supple flex for nimble maneuvers in the woods.  Add the significant tip and tail rise and you can swing and sway them in any turn you desire at the moment.  Really very free and creative in soft snow.  

 

As far as length, most folks want enough to keep themselves up high in the snow which makes maneuvering in tighter spaces more assured.  Because the tips and tails are not locked in you will be at ease despite the longer length compared to a pure carver design. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Ski Suggestions anyone?