or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Breckenridge keystone and A-basin
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Breckenridge keystone and A-basin

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Need advice. Doing Vail and beaver creek next week and have my last day to try somewhere new.

I really want to drive to breckenridge for the morning, go to keystone or A-basin. Is this doable?

Any advice on why I should or shouldn't? I assume my pass is good for all places as I have a four day pass at vail and won't be using the last day there.

My final destination is Denver airport.

Thanks for any tips.
post #2 of 26

What kind of skiing do you like?  Keystone is great for cruising.  Breck is huge.  A-Basin would be a nice, unpretentious contrast to Vail/Beaver Creek and is not so huge that it will make your head spin from a one day visit.  Although Pali trail pod will get your heart pounding.

post #3 of 26

Unless there is some good snow between now and then, no doubt Breck is the choice. 

post #4 of 26
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the replys. I was more thinking, can I do two in a day? Maybe breck in morning and keystone after lunch...or after 3pm? Keystone has night skiing right? Or should I try it at all?

Just want to get two hills in one,day,,

Maybe too ambitious?
post #5 of 26

It's possible.  What day of the week will this be?  If Saturday, Breck will be a zoo.  You will have to arrive really early and park at the gondola ($12).  Then you could quickly get to the Peak 8 base and get some runs in up in the bowls.  Back down the gondola at lunchtime and drive to either Keystone or A-Basin via Swan Mountain Road.  If its snowing, Keystone would be the better choice as most of A-Basin is above treeline and flat light is a big issue in those conditions. If its clear, head to the Basin. 

 

Note that Keystone does not have night skiing every night except during holiday periods.

post #6 of 26
Thread Starter 
That's very good advice, it will be a Friday, actually Friday, February 6. I'm just looking at it and two in one day for the experience. And they seem so close. So A-basin over Keystone?

I will have to check the night skiing at Keystone and see if it's on. But by the sounds of it I really want to ski Arapahoe basin anyway
post #7 of 26

I think you're going to get a better sense of any place if you stick to one location for the day. Driving from A Basin to Keystone is only about 5 minutes; A Basin to Breck is about 40. But getting to the car, booting up, finding a parking place, etc - these all take time, more so if you're not familiar with the resorts.

 

From a "get the most skiing possible" perspective, if you insist on skiing two places in one day, I would start at A Basin (theoretically less affected by all the warm temps) and then go to Keystone in the afternoon, because it's closest.

post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowbirdDevotee View Post
 

Unless there is some good snow between now and then, no doubt Breck is the choice. 

Can you elaborate? I'm going to be in CO next week, skiing Friday - Sunday. I'm staying in Vail, but keeping my options open as to where to ski. Not sure where to go due to the weather and lack of snow.

post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_steep View Post
 

Can you elaborate? I'm going to be in CO next week, skiing Friday - Sunday. I'm staying in Vail, but keeping my options open as to where to ski. Not sure where to go due to the weather and lack of snow.


Breck has more snow in better condition than the other two resorts.

 

Mike

post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post

I think you're going to get a better sense of any place if you stick to one location for the day. Driving from A Basin to Keystone is only about 5 minutes; A Basin to Breck is about 40. But getting to the car, booting up, finding a parking place, etc - these all take time, more so if you're not familiar with the resorts.

 

From a "get the most skiing possible" perspective, if you insist on skiing two places in one day, I would start at A Basin (theoretically less affected by all the warm temps) and then go to Keystone in the afternoon, because it's closest.


This. Not to mention, this doesn't include non driving time. You'll still need to walk to your car, and take off your ski boots. It's possible but you'll probably lose an hour total going from breck to keystone.

If you arrive at A-Basin after 12 you may be able to find a spot in the early riser lot, which is the closest to the lifts.
post #11 of 26
Wait, you want to hit two places in one day and still make it to Denver airport in time to catch your flight same day? Unless you have a late flight you might not make it. Traffic on I-70 heading east in late afternoon can be slow due to backup at the tunnels.
post #12 of 26
Thread Starter 
No, I don't have a flight on the same day, just trying to be a little ambitious with my last day. My flight leaves Denver the next day. So I guess the consensus is stay at breckenridge for the day?

It will give me a reason to come back and try keystone and a-basin next time maybe. Tough life we all lead. smile.gif
post #13 of 26
I would definitely spend the full day at Breck. So much to choose from there.
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingersfreddy View Post

No, I don't have a flight on the same day, just trying to be a little ambitious with my last day. My flight leaves Denver the next day. So I guess the consensus is stay at breckenridge for the day?

It will give me a reason to come back and try keystone and a-basin next time maybe. Tough life we all lead. smile.gif

 

Breckenridge has a ton of terrain, and the altitude means its snow is still pretty good. In fact, today, with some fresh snow, it was heaven.

post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingersfreddy View Post

No, I don't have a flight on the same day, just trying to be a little ambitious with my last day. My flight leaves Denver the next day. So I guess the consensus is stay at breckenridge for the day?

I admire your enthusiasm, most people have had enough after starting at 10, a long lunch  and boots up at 3.  With a big resort like Breck, there are plenty of mountains, lifts and runs to explore and if you go at it all day from start(8am first gondola) to finish with a regular lunch, and take the last lift up then that should do you.

 

One recommendation I can make, although I can't say I know Breck, only having skied there three days.  Lunch at Maggies right below the Quicksilver lift.  I found it a refreshing change from the overcrowded, dirty ski resort restaurants.  Maybe I just hit it on the right day.  . 

post #16 of 26
Thread Starter 

Maggies? I'll look for it.

 

I guess i'll just stay at Breck then....hopefully the snow comes.

 

My friend went this year and said it was really worth going to.

 

To be honest, I'm getting a little bored with Vail and Beaver Creek. Don't get me wrong, they're awesome, but been there done that kinda thing...

post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingersfreddy View Post
 

Maggies? I'll look for it.

 

I guess i'll just stay at Breck then....hopefully the snow comes.

 

My friend went this year and said it was really worth going to.

 

To be honest, I'm getting a little bored with Vail and Beaver Creek. Don't get me wrong, they're awesome, but been there done that kinda thing...

 

What kinds of skiing do you like? A few of us ski Breck regularly and can give you some pointers based on you preferences.

 

Also I think Maggie's is "fine." Not worth going out of your way for, but it's certainly a place to get food.

 

Paging @habacomike 

post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_steep View Post
 

Can you elaborate? I'm going to be in CO next week, skiing Friday - Sunday. I'm staying in Vail, but keeping my options open as to where to ski. Not sure where to go due to the weather and lack of snow.

 

Breck has been doing better than Keystone, but Vail and BC are close.  However the recent warmup probably hurt Breck less due to its higher elevation.  Not clear to me the drive to Breck is worth it if you are staying at Vail however. 

post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingersfreddy View Post
 

Maggies? I'll look for it.

 

I guess i'll just stay at Breck then....hopefully the snow comes.

 

My friend went this year and said it was really worth going to.

 

To be honest, I'm getting a little bored with Vail and Beaver Creek. Don't get me wrong, they're awesome, but been there done that kinda thing...

 

If you are going to pick one of the three, Breck would be my choice with A-Basin a close second.  My suggestion of parking at the gondola lot and heading right to the Peak 8 (or even 7) base still stands.  I agree that seeking out Maggie's for food isn't worth it.  More convenient is one of the on-mountain places like the Vista House.  Just eat early or late as it will be busy.  Avoid the Peak 8 base cafeteria at all costs. 

 

If its clear, consider going to A-Basin.  It's the anti-Vail, especially during the week.  Park right at the lifts, no lines, and no village or condos.  A classic ski area, not a winter resort.  And the mid-mountain lodge has great food and spectacular views.


Edited by JimH - 2/1/15 at 10:20am
post #20 of 26
I did Keystone and Breck in the same day years ago....big waste IMO. If it's your last day I would pick a hill and go with it. So much time wasted driving, parking, packing up your stuff, etc.... I just felt like I wasted a day and didn't get much done.
post #21 of 26

Don't do two.  Just enjoy one place and go back again some other time.  If I had to pick between A-Basin and Keystone, conditions aside, I would go with A-Basin.  Keystone has a few night trails, but it isn't a large percentage of the resort.

 

ETA--A-Basin is a cool place.  It's where the locals/local workers ski, it's like going back to the 80s in some ways.  I like Vail, but that place puts on airs and it is off-putting to me.

post #22 of 26

Keystone has a small portion of the front mountain open for night skiing. It is groomers only and no advanced runs. 

 

I've had a good time night skiing there, but usually it is about the people I am with more than it being a good skiing experience. 

 

With night skiing, imagine what a high-traffic groomer feels like at 4:00 on a busy day.  Then, take all of those groomers and freeze them rock solid. Add in enough light to kind of but not really see, make it cold as hell, and you have Keystone night skiing. 

 

If you are going to fit two, It would make sense for it to be Key and A-Basin- but the better Keystone terrain is all in the back mountains, so if you are going someplace else in the afternoon, it will feel like you just got where you wanted to go and now have to head back. Especially because lines at North Peak and Outback can suck. 

 

Regarding A-basin, it is the best mountain in Summit County and it makes no sense to ski anywhere else. 

post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post

 

Regarding A-basin, it is the best mountain in Summit County and it makes no sense to ski anywhere else. 

 

Pffft.

post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
 

 

Regarding A-basin, it is the best mountain in Summit County and it makes no sense to ski anywhere else. 

Not if the East Wall is closed!

post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_steep View Post
 

Not if the East Wall is closed!

 

Am I the only one that finds the East Wall somewhat underwhelming? Pali lift does it for me. East Wall is fun, but hasn't really blown my mind...  I need to play around more on the Zuma Bowl steeps to really form an opinion there...

post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
 

 

Am I the only one that finds the East Wall somewhat underwhelming? Pali lift does it for me. East Wall is fun, but hasn't really blown my mind...  I need to play around more on the Zuma Bowl steeps to really form an opinion there...


East Wall is fun (I use just the traverse) but for me West Wall is just as good and Zuma is better.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Breckenridge keystone and A-basin