or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Should I cancel my trip to Whitefish Mountain Resort?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I cancel my trip to Whitefish Mountain Resort?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
I'm scheduled to go on a ski trip to Big Mountain in Whitefish, Montana this week.

I have the opportunity to cancel today if I desire and get a full refund on all expenses.

I read that last week was spring like skiing. It will be sunny and relatively warm on Thursday and Friday (about 35). Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be colder.

Not sure how firm (icy) the snow conditions will be.

Curious for any input as to whether it is worth the cost to go skiing there this week.
post #2 of 26
Ask @Pacobillie and @jbwilco. They are here now.

Big item: Hellroaring Basin is not open at the moment. If that is a big part of your plans, then that should be a factor. However the Flower Point and back side areas are okay. Basically, it's spring skiing.
post #3 of 26
I'm sensing it's better than Crystal...
post #4 of 26
Thread Starter 
Crystal is (very sadly) not good this season. We have had a lot of Pineapple Express storms that brought ample amounts of precipitation but in the form of rain. They're harvesting snow from closed runs to keep the bunny slope open and it is very bare.

The 4 days of skiing that I have planned at Big Mountain may very well be the best skiing I get all season, even if they are not ideal days by Big Mountain standards.

Are there any bare spots on the groomer runs?
post #5 of 26
Also, this forecast shows better temps than we have had. Heck it was in the 40s and 50s for a few days.

post #6 of 26
There are select bare spots, but when I was there two days ago it was minor.
post #7 of 26
PM sent to Facebook album with daily pictures.
post #8 of 26

Yesterday.
post #9 of 26
Muuuuuuuuch better than Crystal. I for one, would be all over that. Nice vid, Sib!
post #10 of 26

That video makes me want to go.

post #11 of 26

I'd say: GO

post #12 of 26
Everything is relative. I'm sitting in the bar at camelback right now. That is nothing to complain about. I'd go.
post #13 of 26
Nice video. When the sun is out on the Big have to take a video. smile.gif

Thanks for being great WMR ambassador.

Would kill to be there now - Inspiration and Big Ravine were likely nice flyers in that sun. When you were shooting this video I was having ACL reconsrructive surgery from injury on 12/13/14.

Was in Stumptown 12/19-01/05 but couldn't ski due to the injury.

Go on trip - you never know when it will be taken (or paused at least) from you.

BTW, saw this in local magazine yesterday
http://links.chicago.amlsc.com/servlet/MailView?ms=MTA0ODQ1ODQS1&r=NjY0MTUxODEwNDIS1&j=NDYyMjY3MDk5S0&mt=1&rt=0
post #14 of 26

Glad to see that WMR is holding on to ski-able conditions. I will bring extra snow with me on the 21st. As much as I can carry. But we won't need it.

 

As I'm FULLY committed, I've given up worrying about conditions. I'll be there a month, my body will probably be the "system constraint".

post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 
Thand all! I'm going! Waiting at the train station to board the ski train to Whitefish, and will be making first tracks in fresh courdary if all goes well on the trip over. I will post a trip report and update throughout the trip. Should be best skiing of my season.
post #16 of 26
Skied today with Pacobillie and his lady friend, who is wonderful. Good groomer conditions. Consistent surfaces. I noticed some bushes sticking through Heep Steep, but Corkscrew and Larch, just to the right were perfect, so I'm inclined to think the winch cat may have been too much for it one day.

The video is the mountain's, but one of those skiers is my kid, not saying which. :-)

Jbwilco is still here. Hope to ski with her tomorrow.
post #17 of 26

Pretty! Pretty- love the shot of the peaks. Sounds like the season's been disappointing all over the West, but how bad can it be if we're still skiing? Utah's holding up, and long range weather has February looking promising.

 

Ps: Are those peaks Glacier?  Only been there in summer. One of the most beautiful places on Earth....

post #18 of 26
If you're talking about the peaks where there's a prominent blue jacket on the left side, that is part Glacier, part Flathead National Forest.
post #19 of 26

Sheesh..it was 8F last night here..trade???  :dunno  It's been a freezer with no snow here for weeks...

post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Skied today with Pacobillie and his lady friend, who is wonderful. Good groomer conditions. Consistent surfaces. I noticed some bushes sticking through Heep Steep, but Corkscrew and Larch, just to the right were perfect, so I'm inclined to think the winch cat may have been too much for it one day.

The video is the mountain's, but one of those skiers is my kid, not saying which. :-)

Jbwilco is still here. Hope to ski with her tomorrow.

Did Pacobillie happen to be on a pair of 2000 vintage 193cm P40's?

 

Best to keep the video cooped up in this thread. Those groomers might entice.

post #21 of 26
Didn't notice. Brown? Dynastar?
post #22 of 26

No red Volkl. I sent them to him last year. I doubt he'd travel with them.

post #23 of 26

I wish I would have seen this earlier. I am up in Whitefish for the week with my college buddy after having stopped by Big Sky earlier. Whitefish is currently unskiiable offpiste, hard as a brick rutted out cut up mess due to near 50 degree spring weather affected slush snow they had earlier in the week freezing overnight. If you like groomers, you might be alright. They were semi-good today, like a 4 out of 10 just because the snowcats had something to work with. Yesterday they were a 2 out of 10. The mountain didn't even bother to groom half of the main run down the frontside of the mountain. Never seen operations that bad before. Even with the 38 degree or so weather the mountain had today only the very bottom of the mountain softened up and only just a bit. The mountain has some nice terrain but its not worth the time money and effort until the weather starts cooperating again and it gets a good snowstorm. But if you look at the forecast yes it says snow... of a half inch LOL. I would not recommend a trip.

post #24 of 26
But it's better than Crystal, which was the question. And he was coming by train, and he already had reservations. Last I checked, you can't get to Big Sky by train.

It is definitely spring conditions. And we definitely need snow.
post #25 of 26
Somehow, I think that @Crystal Mtn will be able to survive:

Yesterday:




Today:



We may have to follow the sun before the off piste is skiable, but we have coverage.
post #26 of 26
Thread Starter 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Should I cancel my trip to Whitefish Mountain Resort?