or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › How Tough Are Rails on Your Edges?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How Tough Are Rails on Your Edges?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Will my edges be destroyed on my line chronics if i hit a good amount of rails. Cuz i also want to be able to ski all mountain on them. Is this possible?

post #2 of 11

That kinda depends on what you mean by "destroyed".  You are going to want to detune your edges in the middle of your skis anyway if you are hitting any rails (so they will be "destroyed in the middle), but that shouldn't effect anything with your skiing all mountain because your contact points should remain tuned.

post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoonan21 View Post
 

Will my edges be destroyed on my line chronics if i hit a good amount of rails. Cuz i also want to be able to ski all mountain on them. Is this possible?

 

There's a reason why jibs are commonly referred to as "edge dullers".

 

If you care about your edges you wouldn't hit that stuff.

post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaintroll View Post
 

That kinda depends on what you mean by "destroyed".  You are going to want to detune your edges in the middle of your skis anyway if you are hitting any rails (so they will be "destroyed in the middle), but that shouldn't effect anything with your skiing all mountain because your contact points should remain tuned.

lol. You should write for a politician or the Army.That was pretty good.

 

We're cutting the budget by 90%. That shouldn't affect anything because we're eliminating the waste and reinforcing what we need to function properly- the remaining 10%.

post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post
 

lol. You should write for a politician or the Army.That was pretty good.

 

We're cutting the budget by 90%. That shouldn't affect anything because we're eliminating the waste and reinforcing what we need to function properly- the remaining 10%.

Haha, well thanks! ;)

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaintroll View Post
 

That kinda depends on what you mean by "destroyed".  You are going to want to detune your edges in the middle of your skis anyway if you are hitting any rails (so they will be "destroyed in the middle), but that shouldn't effect anything with your skiing all mountain because your contact points should remain tuned.

What tool do I need to detune the middle?

post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoonan21 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaintroll View Post
 

That kinda depends on what you mean by "destroyed".  You are going to want to detune your edges in the middle of your skis anyway if you are hitting any rails (so they will be "destroyed in the middle), but that shouldn't effect anything with your skiing all mountain because your contact points should remain tuned.

What tool do I need to detune the middle?

A rail will do quite nicely.:duck:

post #8 of 11

You'll just need just a regular old file, and either a diamond stone or gummy stone (or both). I just use the file and gummy stone. http://vimeo.com/32710516 is a pretty good video for it.

post #9 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrison Claystone View Post

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoonan21 View Post

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaintroll View Post
 

That kinda depends on what you mean by "destroyed".  You are going to want to detune your edges in the middle of your skis anyway if you are hitting any rails (so they will be "destroyed in the middle), but that shouldn't effect anything with your skiing all mountain because your contact points should remain tuned.

What tool do I need to detune the middle?

A rail will do quite nicely.:duck:

 

And if you're lucky that'll come with a free broken collar bone! Get it now while the deal lasts, haha
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrison Claystone View Post
 

A rail will do quite nicely

No, it won't actually. The OP will want to sufficiently dull the are underfoot BEFORE hitting rails. If you don't sufficiently dull your edges you greatly increase the chance of cracked edges, not to mention hanging up and taking a good tumble. Dulling the edge there will reduce the forces on the edge from lateral motion over steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
 

 

There's a reason why jibs are commonly referred to as "edge dullers".

 

If you care about your edges you wouldn't hit that stuff.

Way to go out of your way to be obtuse.

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › How Tough Are Rails on Your Edges?