or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Rocket attack closes ski area
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rocket attack closes ski area

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.577247

 

This can only happen in two areas of the world, right?  A rocket launched by the Syrian army or Hezbullah from Syria, which is on the other side of Mt. Hermon, landed on the Israeli side of the Golan near the Mt. Hermon ski area.  The area is temporarily closed.  This gives another meaning to avalanche blasting.  We are used to closed resorts from too little or too much snow here in North America, but not from missiles. 

 

post #2 of 29

Umm that was  last year??  Slow hysteria year so they drag up last year's events like it just happened again?

 

Quote:
 

Two Syria rockets explode in Israel's north overnight

Israeli army does not rule out Hezbollah involvement in rocket fire.

By Gili Cohen | Mar. 1, 2014 | 8:51 PM
post #3 of 29
Probably happens regularly.
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by core2 View Post

Probably happens regularly.


Drones targeted on Reeco tags??

post #5 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by core2 View Post

Probably happens regularly.

It occasionally happens, usually from a stray rocket or bullet (Syria is in a civil war), sometimes a sniper, and once from some people in Syria seeming trying to see what the response would be (the artillery response "neutralized" them).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 


Drones targeted on Reeco tags??

Recco? No, but the Iranian general who got vaporized last week along with the Hezbollah officers was rumored to have had his cell phone on. It wasn't an angry wife who offed those people. Why was the Iranian general in the Golan with Hezbollah? That is obvious, and it is obvious Israel doesn't want Iranian made rockets up there pointing at it.   It is possible the rockets were fired into Israel from Syria last night to test what would happen.  There will be an eventual response suitable to Hezbollah, but this wasn't it.  Anyhow, the ski area is closed open today.

 

The other part of the world where skiers might dodge an eventual rocket or two is Kashmir.  The last I heard, India and Pakistan are not the friendliest of neighbors and the disputed Kashmir is becoming a smaller part of that problem. The powder is supposedly dry and fluffy.


Edited by quant2325 - 1/27/15 at 9:27am
post #6 of 29
I guess Iron Dome is not up over the ski area?
What happened to that Lebanese olympic skier who got in trouble for the topless photos?
post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

I guess Iron Dome is not up over the ski area?
What happened to that Lebanese olympic skier who got in trouble for the topless photos?

Close.  A new Iron Dome is in the north expecting an attack from Iranian backed Hezbollah.

 

Jackie Chamoun lives, I believe, in Switzerland so she isn't going to be beaten or arrested or anything like that. She apologized.  Nice photos, though. The Miss Universe hopeful from Lebanon who was photographed with Miss Israel also apologized and even claimed she was photobombed.  The Donald wasn't pleased with the press. During the contest Miss Lebanon was not asked what she did recently to promote world peace. I doubt Miss Lebanon wants to share a chairlift with Miss Israel.

post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post

 Nice photos, though. 

 

Yes.  The poor thing looks awfully cold, though.

post #9 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespapa View Post
 

 

Yes.  The poor thing looks awfully cold, though.

You can make the twin tip jokes.

post #10 of 29
What a joke Ms Israel and Ms Lebanon get photoed together and it's a crisis. It's hopeless in that region.

See two months in a calendar with Israel/Lebanon might be good for peace.
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

What a joke Ms Israel and Ms Lebanon get photoed together and it's a crisis. It's hopeless in that region.


" I want world peace, except for....."

post #12 of 29
Thread Starter 
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post
 

You can make the twin tip jokes.


I knew that was coming.

post #14 of 29
Those Kastles are too long for her.
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Those Kastles are too long for her.


They ski much shorter.  That said I want longboards for blasting across bomb craters.

post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Those Kastles are too long for her.


They ski much shorter.  That said I want longboards for blasting across bomb craters.

 

Fat skis trigger land mines.

post #17 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 

 

Fat skis trigger land mines.


The biblical Mt. Hemon, specifically the Ski Resort, was indeed targeted and fired upon again with the intent to kill some of the 1600 skiers.  Of course, Iran's weapons are not that precise: http://www.debka.com/article/24365/Iran-relays-warning-to-Israel-through-Washington-backing-it-with-four-rocket-volley-from-Syrian-Golan   This could be the first time a ski resort is in the middle of an international crisis.

post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post

could be the first time a ski resort is in the middle of an international crisis.
WWI and WWII?
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post


WWI and WWII?


Hemingway wrote about it, in fact.

post #20 of 29
Also Sarajevo Olympic facilities during the war there in the 90's Though not sure about the ski area. Plus people weren't skiing there at the time.

Which area in Hemingway?
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Also Sarajevo Olympic facilities during the war there in the 90's Though not sure about the ski area. Plus people weren't skiing there at the time.

Which area in Hemingway?


Somewhere in Switzerland in A Farewell to Arms — Montreux, I guess.  But I think I misplaced passages in A Moveable Feast to the war novels.  This is interesting, though: https://stalkinghemingway.wordpress.com/category/skiing/

 

Ski resorts, such as they were, existed all over Europe in the 20th century.  The wars couldn't help but take place all around them.

post #22 of 29

Here, too:

 

post #23 of 29
Wow that's great. I do remember reading something about him in Switzerland.
Beautiful passage:
Quote:
Finally there was the great glacier run, smooth and straight, forever straight if your legs could hold it, your ankles locked, you running so low, leaning into the speed, dropping forever and forever in the silent hiss of the crisp powder. It was better than any flying or anything else, and you built the ability to do it and to have it with the long climbs, carrying the heavy rucksacks. You could not buy it nor take a ticket to the top. It was the end we worked all winter for, and all the winter built to make it possible.

- E. Hemingway, A Moveable Feaat
post #24 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespapa View Post
 


Somewhere in Switzerland in A Farewell to Arms — Montreux, I guess.  But I think I misplaced passages in A Moveable Feast to the war novels.  This is interesting, though: https://stalkinghemingway.wordpress.com/category/skiing/

 

Ski resorts, such as they were, existed all over Europe in the 20th century.  The wars couldn't help but take place all around them.


The 10th Mountain Division only fought for four months or so, some of it in brutal conditions.  That was in Italy, and some trails at Vail were named in honor of them (e.g., Riva Ridge).  Vail, Stowe,  Aspen, etc. and dozens of ski schools were started by the surviving vets.  I don't think any battles were near ski areas, certainly not when skiers were present.  The Finns fought the Russians in 1939 using troops that on skis were more maneuverable on snow.  Again, not near ski areas.  The Germans, Italians, etc. all used ski troops, but I don't know of any battle inside a ski area, certainly not while civilians were skiing.

 

Hemmingway certainly enjoyed the sport.

post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post
 


The 10th Mountain Division only fought for four months or so, some of it in brutal conditions.  That was in Italy, and some trails at Vail were named in honor of them (e.g., Riva Ridge).  Vail, Stowe,  Aspen, etc. and dozens of ski schools were started by the surviving vets.  I don't think any battles were near ski areas, certainly not when skiers were present.  The Finns fought the Russians in 1939 using troops that on skis were more maneuverable on snow.  Again, not near ski areas.  The Germans, Italians, etc. all used ski troops, but I don't know of any battle inside a ski area, certainly not while civilians were skiing.

 

Hemmingway certainly enjoyed the sport

You're forgetting that they were sent as well to the Aleutians, also far from any ski areas.

post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

Umm that was  last year??  Slow hysteria year so they drag up last year's events like it just happened again?


 

We need more things to get hysterical about. LOl:D:)cool.gif:rolleyes
post #27 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfifield View Post


We need more things to get hysterical about. LOl:D:)cool.gif:rolleyes

The recent event had nothing to do with the past, since it was about Iran wanting revenge for the general who was killed.  Two Israelis died there today and a UNIFIL soldier from Spain.  The casualties from Hezbollah are unknown.  Hezbollah is already stretched thin fighting for Assad in Syria, so both sides might back down...or not.  The ski area was evacuated.

post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post

The recent event had nothing to do with the past, since it was about Iran wanting revenge for the general who was killed.  Two Israelis died there today and a UNIFIL soldier from Spain.  The casualties from Hezbollah are unknown.  Hezbollah is already stretched thin fighting for Assad in Syria, so both sides might back down...or not.  The ski area was evacuated.

 



My post may look as if I was razing you but that was not my intent, we just need more things to make us crazy, like every time we turn around there is one more thing. I think the world has gone nuts.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfifield View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post

The recent event had nothing to do with the past, since it was about Iran wanting revenge for the general who was killed.  Two Israelis died there today and a UNIFIL soldier from Spain.  The casualties from Hezbollah are unknown.  Hezbollah is already stretched thin fighting for Assad in Syria, so both sides might back down...or not.  The ski area was evacuated.

 



My post may look as if I was razing you but that was not my intent, we just need more things to make us crazy, like every time we turn around there is one more thing. I think the world has gone nuts.

The world went nuts a long time ago. It's just that everyday there's something else to go nuts about!


Just keep your head down. Make some nice turns and forget about it all. and if the shooting starts, remember that resorts don't offer refunds for inclement conditions...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Rocket attack closes ski area