or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Help, need a turnier ski than my Mantra
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help, need a turnier ski than my Mantra - Page 2

post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
 

looking for all mtn performance that could also carve...........if I was looking for carving as a primary function I think I would have bought the rossi avenger 82 already.   currently looking at the rossi experience 88 and 84 also..............but the motive is high on the list too.  rocker is tripping me up on length to get, want the ski to be easier overall than my 184 mantras, yet not a mess when some speed is had. back before rocker I think something in the 178 range would be ideal.  also looking at the 179 BRO...big turning radius but they are very light and easy to ski/move around.  had a few 183's and 188's before in those.

 

Hum, you could also wait for next year Volkl RTM line... It's look like it won't be all mountain rocker but more tip and tail rocker so I suspect  they will be very nice since it was the only thing I didn't liked about those... 

post #32 of 51
Thread Starter 

^^^thanks for all the info

post #33 of 51
post #34 of 51

I have a buddy on Mantra's and other buddies on NRG'Y 100 at Okemo. I'm still not convinced you need that much ski everyday in the east.

 

I love my Kendo's. On my second pair. 

 

If your a Volkl guy try and find last year RTM 84 or 81. Hey I still have my AC40's from 08' if you'd like to buy them...

post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
 

^^^^^  i agree.... if my mantra was a 177, and not a 184 (what i have)

 

That's what I was thinking, so how about a 177 Kendo?   I could see having both (a 177 Mantra and 170 Kendo at my 180lbs).

post #36 of 51

IMO, the Kendo and Mantra are to close together waist wise to have both.

 

I've finally got it figured out, I think.

 

Kendo's, Gotama's & Shiro's.

post #37 of 51
A 170 Kendo is a plank. I hated it. Too stiff. Longer would be better I'm sure. But ymmv.
post #38 of 51

^^^ Which is why one really needs to demo to account for personal preferences.  I love the 170 Kendo and think it's turny and playful, and loved it on groomers and in bumps at 180lbs.  I've skied many days on both the 170 and 177 Kendo.   Unless there is more than a couple inches new I'd rather be on the 170, but with a little new snow I'd pick the 177 Mantra instead.  I thought the 184 Mantra was a plank, and in general the longer Kendos and Mantras were stiffer and more demanding.   

 

Note: This is about the "old" versions, and I haven't been on the new 2014-2015 Mantra or the upcoming new Kendo.

post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post
 

^^^ Which is why one really needs to demo to account for personal preferences.  I love the 170 Kendo and think it's turny and playful, and loved it on groomers and in bumps at 180lbs.  I've skied many days on both the 170 and 177 Kendo.   Unless there is more than a couple inches new I'd rather be on the 170, but with a little new snow I'd pick the 177 Mantra instead.  I thought the 184 Mantra was a plank, and in general the longer Kendos and Mantras were stiffer and more demanding.   

 

Note: This is about the "old" versions, and I haven't been on the new 2014-2015 Mantra or the upcoming new Kendo.

Interesting.

Well maybe I just hate the Kendo. I figured it  would be better in 177.

I'm willing to try it again however.

post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
 

sorry, to compliment the Mantra............not replace.

 

Kastle MX83's look too expensive.....unless there is a model a year or two old.

Ski it before you decide. Most people have been conditioned to spend $699-$749. I paid $1050 for my FX 94s, and I absolutely love them. Which skis do what you want them to do 90% of the time, and also put the biggest smile on your face?

post #41 of 51
Thread Starter 

deal is done, went with Line Prophet 98's, 179.

post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
 

deal is done, went with Line Prophet 98's, 179.

 

Nice! I have the P98 in 174 and found it very easy to ski. So far I only had it on icy groomers and like it. I also have the E88, which I hope to use it extensively this week.

post #43 of 51
Thread Starter 

well, I'm chalking up the Line as a ski that would be for conditions I wish I had, not conditions I ski in Pa. on a regular basis. now looking Head I-Peak 84 and Blizz. Latigo's.....demo's the Blizzs this w/e in a 178 I think. help me on length again. I know it's all about size and ability/terrain, but when I see a ski's max length offered around 184...I'm thinking that size is marketed for out West.  should I be considering 184's due to rocker...........or still better off with something just under 180. thanks, any input really appreciated.  again, had Mantra's in a 184 as my daily driver and trying to get away from that combination of length/stiffness/longer turn radii.   both these models I'm looking at now though seem more user friendly, maybe even in the 180 something length.

post #44 of 51
If your thinking of anything close to an 84 or 88 then you need to demo the Rossi's experience 84. I came from a Mantra last year, then a kendo then demoed a 84 and bought it the next day. Sold my kendo shortly after. The ski is just perfect and tried it in all conditions here in New England. Fwiw I demoed the rtm 84 and kastle mx83 and not nice but the experience was just a great ski at half the price of these two others. I am also 6'2 240.
post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post

well, I'm chalking up the Line as a ski that would be for conditions I wish I had, not conditions I ski in Pa. on a regular basis. now looking Head I-Peak 84 and Blizz. Latigo's.....demo's the Blizzs this w/e in a 178 I think. help me on length again. I know it's all about size and ability/terrain, but when I see a ski's max length offered around 184...I'm thinking that size is marketed for out West.  should I be considering 184's due to rocker...........or still better off with something just under 180. thanks, any input really appreciated.  again, had Mantra's in a 184 as my daily driver and trying to get away from that combination of length/stiffness/longer turn radii.   both these models I'm looking at now though seem more user friendly, maybe even in the 180 something length.

You've got the 98/100 covered... What I'd suggest is sell both the mantra and prophet 98 and get a new Enforcer, but..,, smile.gif

Anyhow, all rocker, and skis for that matter, aren't created equal. Given what you have, and what will be on sale, I'd go a bunch narrower and would be afraid to look at some thing like a shorter, more piste-y ski like a fisher progressor, or your Latigo idea. It's tough to imagine living or skiing in the East or Midwest without a more dedicated ice/hard snow ski. I'd even say to consider something like a Nordica GSR EDT, or a Firearrow 84 pro, both which should be rapidly dropping in price.
post #46 of 51
Thread Starter 
Thanks...both mantra and line are sold. Right now i also have some used blizz g-force supersonics in a 174 on the way for pure frontside fun. Also managed to get a deal on 179 bros for pow trips to VT. so i would like to have the 80ish waist covered for everyday riding in variable conditions.
post #47 of 51
Thread Starter 
Some research seems to indicate the head 84's ski more traditional in length compared to some other rockered skis.
post #48 of 51

The iPeak 84 isn't rockered. Flo-Rocker isn't rocker is marketing the term rocker. It is an excellent design in that it lets the shovel flex more easily without removing camber, you get some of the benefit of a rockered ski- the shovel wants to ride up and over stuff, but you get the feel of a full camber ski when on edge.

post #49 of 51
Thread Starter 
^^^thanks for clearing that up for me

So it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say a head ipeak 84 in a 177 would ski similar to a 184 Latigo.....maybe not characteristics, just length.
Edited by cinnepa - 2/27/15 at 6:20am
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrimmer View Post
 

Try a 180 Brahma.  I have a 2010 Mantra in 177 and last years Brahma in 180.  The Brahma initiates quicker and cuts medium radius turns faster and harder than the Mantra.  It's been a low snow year in my area and the Mantras haven't left the basement, the Brahma and GS skis have seen all the love.

FWIW I'm a 190lb advanced type skier.

If I may ask, if you ski the Brahmas in 180 what length are your gs skis.

post #51 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deester View Post
 

If I may ask, if you ski the Brahmas in 180 what length are your gs skis.

Depends on what I'm racing.  My primary ski is a Nordica 182 GSR Evo.  But I also play around with with a 176 atomic and a 191 Rossi.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Help, need a turnier ski than my Mantra