or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Anyone using the Skiers Edge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone using the Skiers Edge

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

been seeing ad's for years.. thinking of adding as an piece of exercise equipment..

 

positives?

 

negatives?

 

 

they certainly aren't inexpensive

post #2 of 25

Yes I have one, I like it and think it is of benefit. It is work, not play, so you have to have that understanding, you are going to sweat. I have owned two of them, a S4 from 2001 and a 2014 T5 Big Mountain Series. The T5 is taller so it is a better workout, also quieter. I start using mine in September.

 

Do not pay retail as they have half off sales in the off season, contact them and get on their mailing list and you will be able to get a deal in the summer.

post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
 

 

 

Do not pay retail as they have half off sales in the off season, contact them and get on their mailing list and you will be able to get a deal in the summer.

Figures... I've got a big trip planned for Co with some of the guys... guys who can ski and are pretty competitive ..... I don't think I'll be able to ski myself into shape weekends in Nh... ...

probably have to drop the coin..

 

 

did you order any of the accessories ?

slope simulator or the powder/mogul kit?

post #4 of 25

The first time I got the PowderMogul platform and the All Mountain Master. The old S4 had flat foot beds and the All Mountain Master is a big improvement. The newer units all come with the All Mountain Master so you are good to go. My unit need a belt which was going to be $200 and they have a kit to quiet the older units so with both of those for a little more I got a new base unit and moved my All Mountain Master to it. Now the belt is covered for 5 years so that factored into it also. I have only used the Powder platform several times and do not feel it is necessary.

 

Try to build up to 20 minutes a day three days a week.

post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuddddddd View Post
 

been seeing ad's for years.. thinking of adding as an piece of exercise equipment..

 

positives?

 

They are a great way to get your quad muscles in shape for ski season. I use mine starting in September, 5-10 minutes a day, and by the time ski season rolls around I can ski a full day right away. I highly recommend it as a pre-season warmup activity.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thuddddddd View Post

 

negatives?

 

  1. It's boring as all get out.  I usually blare punk rock while using it, but it's still boredom on a stick.
  2. Don't believe any of their marketing hype about learning to ski on them.  Skiing is a totally different skill - think of it as cross-training and you'll be in the ballpark.
  3. While it exercises the major muscles (quads, etc.) used for 'brute force" skiing, it doesn't really hit all the other muscles used for finesse, carving, steering etc..  Bottom line is that I'm still sore after opening day, but I'm sore in different places had I not used the Skier's Edge.  But I think I can go longer because when your quads are done, you're done, while the minor muscles can continue to be pushed once they start getting sore.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuddddddd View Post

they certainly aren't inexpensive

 

Look on ebay.  The majority of purchased exercise equipment  winds up unused after about a month, so there are lots of used ones around.  I think I paid about $150 for mine with shipping.

post #6 of 25

Boring? No worse that a stair-master, bike, or elliptical trainer at the gym. I watch TV when using mine.

 

The basic motion is the skiing motion, as you mention the quads are the answer, once they wear out you are done.

post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
 

Boring? No worse that a stair-master, bike, or elliptical trainer at the gym. I watch TV when using mine.

 

 

 

Right.  They are all boring.

 

Stair-master? 

 

BOR-ING!!!

 

Stationary bike? 

 

Oh my god, how can anyone stand the mind-numbing tedium and monotony that is the stationary bicycle?

 

Eliptical trainer?

 

Jesus Christ, is this discussion over yet?

 

post #8 of 25
I know a guy named Triathlon Timmy. He lives near you and probably has one or two of theses machines that he doesn't even know he has. The guy has a real problem with buying too much stuff.

When you headed to Colorado?
post #9 of 25

Play squash 3 times a week with someone who can run your ass all over the court and you'll be in great shape for skiing. It's also a lot of fun.

post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 

I know a guy named Triathlon Timmy. He lives near you and probably has one or two of theses machines that he doesn't even know he has. The guy has a real problem with buying too much stuff.
 

 

 

 

:ROTF   yur a funny guy...

 

Looks like March... Dave is still trying to figure out dates...

post #11 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoontasan View Post
 

Play squash 3 times a week with someone who can run your ass all over the court and you'll be in great shape for skiing. It's also a lot of fun.


bad (junk) knee.. bone on bone .. skiing changes the wear area so it's not bad


that is what they suck out of my knee every 4-6 months.. running is painful and speeds up the process ...

post #12 of 25

Got a really cheap old model of the Skiers Edge after doing some knee rehab a few years ago.  Definitely knee friendly.  Don't know that I would pay for a new one, but like having it around.  Been using it more in the last year or so because it's a different way to get in cardio work.  I mix it up with a recumbent bike.  Do both in front of the TV.

post #13 of 25

For those of you that are aware of the different models, which ones would you recommend looking for on Craigslist, Ebay, etc.  Is there a model year or name that matters?  At what what point/year do the models start coming with the ?All Mountain Master? and the quieter bands?

post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 

Skiers Edges web site , and vid's are pretty informative.. and they have a section on used machines , (it's a don't buy for the most part) but it gives a lot of things to look for..

 

My check of ebay shows the current stuff at near retail.. and the older (much) and lower level  ones relatively inexpensive...

 

I think I'll end up with a new big mountain one, and the slope simulators ... if I can rationalize the cost (which for me .. isn't usually an issue...;) )

post #15 of 25

When buying used, makes a big difference where or not you can drive over and pick it up.  Shipping is expensive because it's not only big but also heavy.

post #16 of 25

There is one on Ebay right now with free shipping, it is a S4 Big Mountain for $799.95. It is not as quite as the T5 but equal in other respects. It is the wheels not the bands that make the newer ones quieter, that is the difference between the S4 and T5, the wheels.

post #17 of 25

I'm located in Nebraska, and I have a Skier's Edge S4 for sale with Assistant Balance Bar, Lifebeat computer & poles.  Yes, shipping will be expensive (approx $150).  I'll sell this including all accessories for a fair price.  Let me know if you are interested, thanks!

post #18 of 25

I may be interested in the skiers edge 'summer sale' but I've gotten emails the past month or so about it being 800-1000 off. When is the bigest sale of the year for these things?

post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuddddddd View Post
 


bad (junk) knee.. bone on bone .. skiing changes the wear area so it's not bad


that is what they suck out of my knee every 4-6 months.. running is painful and speeds up the process ...

 

Running=jarring

Roller blading =smooth gliding with less or even no pain and you go faster.

post #20 of 25

Just picked up a Skiers Edge III at a thrift store for a whopping investment of $10.  It looks to be in pretty good shape.

 

It did not come with the special poles. Any problem with getting some adjustable trekker poles and putting tennis balls or the like on the ends? How long should the poles be?

 

The bands look to be in good shape, but is there any recommended conditioner to keep them from drying out?

 

Thanks,

post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
 

Just picked up a Skiers Edge III at a thrift store for a whopping investment of $10.  It looks to be in pretty good shape.

 

It did not come with the special poles. Any problem with getting some adjustable trekker poles and putting tennis balls or the like on the ends? How long should the poles be?

 

The bands look to be in good shape, but is there any recommended conditioner to keep them from drying out?

 

Thanks,


That's a good deal!

 

I use my trekking poles because the ones that came with the SE (old one from original owner from craigslist) are way too long for me.  Set them up to be an appropriate length to simulate where your hands are when skiing.

 

The suggestion I got for taking care of the bands was Armour All once or twice a year.

post #22 of 25

Here's a short video that gave me some idea how to get started with a Skier's Edge.

 

post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


That's a good deal!

 

I use my trekking poles because the ones that came with the SE (old one from original owner from craigslist) are way too long for me.  Set them up to be an appropriate length to simulate where your hands are when skiing.

 

The suggestion I got for taking care of the bands was Armour All Protectant 303 once or twice a year.

 

FIFY.

 

Armour All is a low end product with a high water content and Protectant 303 is the good stuff.

post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggraid101 View Post
 

I may be interested in the skiers edge 'summer sale' but I've gotten emails the past month or so about it being 800-1000 off. When is the bigest sale of the year for these things?


The year I paid attention, started getting sale emails in May and kept getting them until early Sept.  

post #25 of 25

Thanks! Seems like they may have started a little early. I'm not sure I am ready to pile one of these things into my basement, I have a really hard time using treadmills/exercise bikes, etc and I don't see this being too different.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Anyone using the Skiers Edge