Anyone been to the Lake Tahoe area of late. I am kinda getting a little worried. Flying out to Reno mid Feb 2015
- itemSquaw Valley USAtagged by Sprinkless, 1/26/15
Related Forum Threads
- Xmas Holiday Ski Experiences Last post on 1/21/17 at 9:08am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Squaw/Alpine looking to welcome Chinese tourists who ski Last post on 6/7/16 at 12:43pm in Skiing News
- California Dreaming (a trip of many misfortune, but fortunately no missed opportunity) Last post on 4/4/16 at 8:49am in Trip Reports
- California Skiing, March 17-25, 2016 Last post on 4/6/16 at 9:14am in Trip Reports
- Northstar or Squaw [first family trip, intermediate parents with young kids, early Jan] Last post on 12/2/15 at 7:52pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows - A Pictorial
Last edited: 9/21/13
- Squaw Valley Unofficial GuideLast edited: 7/17/15
- An Unvarnished Guide to Dining at SquawLast edited: 1/16/13
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
This is the most incredibly over-the-top country-club-like resort we've been and we've skied all over USA. It's so cool I took pictures of the bathrooms! Beautifully done. Three gondolas keep...
I went to Maverick the day after a day at Big Sky and what a dramatic difference. As opposed to Big Sky's massive area (which seemed to me to ski much smaller than its size), hard skier packed...
Easily the best hill (let's not get crazy calling these mountains) in Minnesota. It's fairly spread out across four separate hills (though, I'd call them two). There's a gondola that connects the...
Lake Tahoepost #1 of 241/20/15 at 11:09amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 241/20/15 at 11:24am
Please look at this link, if we get snow your plans will be OK
otherwise there may be better options if you can change your planspost #3 of 241/20/15 at 11:25ampost #4 of 241/20/15 at 11:48am
I was at kirkwood yesterday; it was a ghost town. The coverage was fair and the skiing actually wasn't aweful/horrible everywhere; but there were some sketchy-thin places. Not much they can do about it right now with snowmaking - which depends on air temperature and availability of water.post #5 of 241/20/15 at 12:29pmThread Starterpost #6 of 241/20/15 at 12:34pmpost #7 of 241/20/15 at 2:29pmQuote:
If you must plan ahead I would definitely go elsewhere. If you can keep your options open until the last minute then its best to wait it out and see if it snows. Tahoe needs a LOT of snow to get good but as well all know they can get 6 feet of snow in one storm no problem that is why this drought is so frustrating.post #8 of 241/20/15 at 3:02pmQuote:
I'm in the same boat, martyski. Got skunked last year about the same time and had to cancel, and will try again the second week of Feb this year. It snowed like crazy the day I was supposed to leave last year, so I expect the same thing to happen this season too.post #9 of 241/20/15 at 7:36pm
We had decent snow in December but it got dry and warm. Typically January is a super dry month. February should bring something considering the trend from December........That's what I'm claimingpost #10 of 241/20/15 at 8:07pmQuote:
Worry is interest paid on fear before it falls due. Yeah, the snow is lacking now but all it will take is one or two Feb. storms for you to have a great time.post #11 of 241/20/15 at 8:07pmpost #12 of 241/21/15 at 7:43pm
Pic taken 12/13 at 9:21AM Top of Big Blue lift at Squaw with my coaching partner and team.post #13 of 241/21/15 at 8:15pmQuote:Originally Posted by Sprinkless
Pic taken 12/13 at 9:21AM Top of Big Blue lift at Squaw with my coaching partner and team.
Looks beautiful. Even though it's a low tide year it looks nice to be out there.post #14 of 241/21/15 at 8:21pmQuote:
It's amazing at the top when it's a sunny day. Would recommend checking it out if you're ever in the Tahoe area.post #15 of 241/24/15 at 11:29am
I am planning on bringing my daughter to the area in early April over Easter break. Planned on skiing Mammoth, Squaw and Alpine using our Mountain Collective passes (4 free days of skiing!). Although April is a LONG way away I am a little worried about current weather patterns. I also realize that Feb/March are much better snow months than Jan for the area. That being said following the omnipresent high pressure in the No California area is downright depressing right now. Hopefully things turn around soon although with plane tickets purchased at this point all we can do is hope for a big pattern change and some nice storms in the next 2 1/2 months! :)post #16 of 241/24/15 at 3:15pmpost #17 of 241/24/15 at 7:41pmQuote:
Very true!post #18 of 241/26/15 at 10:10ampost #19 of 241/26/15 at 6:44pmpost #20 of 241/26/15 at 7:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by Sprinkless
Would Recommend. Just came back from Alta, Fabulous snow and terrain right now. altanaut was a fabulous mountain host.
It never ceases to amaze me, how we find EpicSki Bears anywhere we ski. Glad you got to experience @Altanaut's hospitalitypost #21 of 241/27/15 at 3:20pmpost #22 of 241/27/15 at 3:27pmQuote:
How is the PC area? I'm heading there soon. I will make the drive to LCC if I have to, but on this trip I was hoping to ski mostly in the PC resorts.post #23 of 241/28/15 at 3:52pm
- Lake Tahoe
- Squaw Valley Unofficial Guide
- › Mammoth Mountain for 2016-2017 7 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 21 minutes ago
- › Taos Ski Valley 2016-2017 Ski, Stoke, Weather 27 minutes ago
- › How much wax does everyone use? 28 minutes ago
- › Side/base angles: please explain, thanks 34 minutes ago
- › Why don't more people carve? (started in "Ski Softly" thread) 49 minutes ago
- › Ski carving how to improve 52 minutes ago
- › Bump turn on flats 55 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 58 minutes ago
- › Sitting in the backseat 1 hour, 18 minutes ago
- › Kneebinding Knee Friendly Binding by barunrm
- › Snowbird by MBrady
- › Snowbasin by MBrady
- › Maverick Mountain by Roadrash
- › Lutsen Mountains by comfortstarr
- › Tremblant by jzmtl
- › Panorama Mountain Village by Pacobillie
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by vieuxcrouton
- › Mt. Baker by jhkc
- › Manning Park Resort by davidykay
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview
- › Fan Traverse Drill
- › Complete Ski Packages - Skip the Rental Line!