or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Beginner Zone › Breckenridge Ski Lessons 01.21 thru 01.23 [A Beginner Zone thread]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Breckenridge Ski Lessons 01.21 thru 01.23 [A Beginner Zone thread]

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hi,

Been reading the forums lots of great info! Looking for some info on how much lessons would cost for a beginner. I've skied a couple times in Colorado previously. Total days on the hill about 6. I'm 26 fairly athletic but the last time I went 3 years ago I developed a bit of a fear for losing control as I went with a more experienced group than I. I was fairly comfortable skiing most greens and blues at breck. I was thinking maybe a day of lessons when I get there but don't likely have the budget to do 3 days of lessons.

Any input would be great.

Thanks!
post #2 of 11

Go onto the websites of the mountains you're interested in.  All list lesson prices.

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_m View Post
 

Go onto the websites of the mountains you're interested in.  All list lesson prices.

I just went and reviewed the website, one thing that has been mentioned in the past on this website is the potential of getting ski lessons and a lift ticket for the approximate cost of a lift ticket.  Just curious if anyone could comment on if that is possible at Breck.  The group I am going with has Epic Passes so I have access to discounted Lift Tickets.

 

Can anyone comment on the anticipated Group sizes?  It looks like you can get the group of 4 for an increased rate over the large group (276 vs 139 per day), however I'm not sure how useful going with a large group would be.

 

Thanks!

post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNSkidude View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_m View Post
 

Go onto the websites of the mountains you're interested in.  All list lesson prices.

I just went and reviewed the website, one thing that has been mentioned in the past on this website is the potential of getting ski lessons and a lift ticket for the approximate cost of a lift ticket.  Just curious if anyone could comment on if that is possible at Breck.  The group I am going with has Epic Passes so I have access to discounted Lift Tickets.

 

Can anyone comment on the anticipated Group sizes?  It looks like you can get the group of 4 for an increased rate over the large group (276 vs 139 per day), however I'm not sure how useful going with a large group would be.

 

Thanks!


Welcome to EpicSki!  I think you could get your questions answered pretty quickly by making a phone call to the Breck ski school.

post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNSkidude View Post

Hi,

Been reading the forums lots of great info! Looking for some info on how much lessons would cost for a beginner. I've skied a couple times in Colorado previously. Total days on the hill about 6. I'm 26 fairly athletic but the last time I went 3 years ago I developed a bit of a fear for losing control as I went with a more experienced group than I. I was fairly comfortable skiing most greens and blues at breck. I was thinking maybe a day of lessons when I get there but don't likely have the budget to do 3 days of lessons.

Any input would be great.

Thanks!


Are you skiing midweek or on the weekend?  It's fair to say that group lessons midweek are usually much less popular, assuming it's not a holiday week of some kind.  Are you only going to have 3 ski days total?

 

Good for you for wanting to take some lessons!  It's well worth the investment.  I'm having much more fun after improving my technique in recent years with the help of a lesson during my trips out west.

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post


Are you skiing midweek or on the weekend?  It's fair to say that group lessons midweek are usually much less popular, assuming it's not a holiday week of some kind.  Are you only going to have 3 ski days total?

Good for you for wanting to take some lessons!  It's well worth the investment.  I'm having much more fun after improving my technique in recent years with the help of a lesson during my trips out west.

Skiing Wed thru Friday. I'm thinking a wed ski lesson shouldn't be too crowded, but trying to see if there were any good deals or instructor recommendations for this upcoming week at Breck.
post #7 of 11

Breck ski school:  1-888-LRN-2SKI

 

They don't bite, I promise.

 

Also, note that typically the online lesson prices at Breck are $20 cheaper than the day-of ticket window price.

post #8 of 11
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNSkidude View Post

Hi,

Been reading the forums lots of great info! Looking for some info on how much lessons would cost for a beginner. I've skied a couple times in Colorado previously. Total days on the hill about 6. I'm 26 fairly athletic but the last time I went 3 years ago I developed a bit of a fear for losing control as I went with a more experienced group than I. I was fairly comfortable skiing most greens and blues at breck. I was thinking maybe a day of lessons when I get there but don't likely have the budget to do 3 days of lessons.

Any input would be great.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNSkidude View Post

Skiing Wed thru Friday. I'm thinking a wed ski lesson shouldn't be too crowded, but trying to see if there were any good deals or instructor recommendations for this upcoming week at Breck.

Since the last time you went skiing was more than a year ago, my guess is that a group lesson makes the most sense from a budget standpoint.  Call the ski school and talk to them.  Group lessons are divided by ability.  You don't need the first-timer lesson.  That makes it even more likely to be in a smaller group on a Wed.

 

For even more improvement, consider taking a second group lesson on Thu.

 

As you learned before, going on terrain that is well above your ability level and trying to keep up with friends who ski much faster is scary.  It's possible, but in the long run you will develop bad habits.  There are a lot of ways to get down a slope.  The best way may not be as obvious as you think just by watching others or even YouTube videos.

 

I'm not an instructor.  I only started taking lessons as an adult in recent years when I started skiing more after retirement.  Wish I'd taking a few a lot sooner.

post #9 of 11

Cost for a one-day group lesson purchased in advance is $180 (It's $200 at the window). You can get a discounted ($60) lift ticket through your friends' Epic pass. 

 

Breck is always crowded. Especially on the greens and blues. 

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-bird View Post

Breck is always crowded. Especially on the greens and blues. 

Not on a Wednesday, compared to the weekends/holidays. Group lessons get line cutting at lifts.

Go to Peak 9 (the Village at Breckenridge) for significantly better lower level lesson terrain.
post #11 of 11

My first time at Breck, my wife and I took the Ultimate 4 lessons and effectively had a private lesson for the two of us. There were never any one else with us. They are pricier than a standard group lesson, but well worth it. I would rather have 1 small group/private lesson than 2-3 group lessons where you don't get personal feedback as much.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beginner Zone
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Beginner Zone › Breckenridge Ski Lessons 01.21 thru 01.23 [A Beginner Zone thread]