or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Need help with skis! All mountain/park skis
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help with skis! All mountain/park skis

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I am 15 5'11" and 150 pounds. I am looking for a good Park ski where I could ski switch and still ski the rest of the mountain with my family. I would consider my self aggressive and prefer to go fast. So basically I want a good ski that will preform great on the park, and on the mountain. I have looked at the Volkl walls, Volkl Bridge, Head Caddy, Armada El Rey, and the atomic punx and a can't really narrow down on a ski. Any insight would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has a different ski I should look at feel free to tell me I'm open to all ideas.

Thanks
post #2 of 9

I'm not a park skier, but my first thought is to tell you to visit your local ski shop and let them help you find the ski that's right for you, based on your ability and where you spend most of your time.  In my humble opinion, don't get hung up too much on a particular brand of skis.  All the manufacturers seem to have their own "Gee Whiz" technology built into their skis, but all this technology, or buying the most expensive pair of skis isn't necessarily going to make you a better skier or help you nail that "big trick."  Instruction, technique and practice are what's going to get you there. 

 

The little I do know is that there are 2 different types of twin tip or park skis.  One is an all mountain twin tip ski that may be better for you if you spend most of your time skiing outside the park.  The other is just the normal twin tip ski which is used primarily in the terrain park, but can be used to venture outside the park.  Good luck. 

post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by checksix68 View Post

I'm not a park skier, but my first thought is to tell you to visit your local ski shop and let them help you find the ski that's right for you, based on your ability and where you spend most of your time.  In my humble opinion, don't get hung up too much on a particular brand of skis.  All the manufacturers seem to have their own "Gee Whiz" technology built into their skis, but all this technology, or buying the most expensive pair of skis isn't necessarily going to make you a better skier or help you nail that "big trick."  Instruction, technique and practice are what's going to get you there. 

The little I do know is that there are 2 different types of twin tip or park skis.  One is an all mountain twin tip ski that may be better for you if you spend most of your time skiing outside the park.  The other is just the normal twin tip ski which is used primarily in the terrain park, but can be used to venture outside the park.  Good luck. 

OK thanks. Most brands seem to have the same thing but just call it different technology so they can sell it to people. So skis from 3 years ago will compare to skis in 2015?

Thanks I'll have to demo some skis and see how they hold up on the rest of the mountain and in the park. I want a ski that will do both because ski gear is expensive! I don't want two pair I want one to stick with so I can strap them on and not think about what I will ski I just want to do it. I'll try some things to see which one does that the best.

Thanks
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan00 View Post

I am 15 5'11" and 150 pounds. I am looking for a good Park ski where I could ski switch and still ski the rest of the mountain with my family. I would consider my self aggressive and prefer to go fast. So basically I want a good ski that will preform great on the park, and on the mountain. I have looked at the Volkl walls, Volkl Bridge, Head Caddy, Armada El Rey, and the atomic punx and a can't really narrow down on a ski. Any insight would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has a different ski I should look at feel free to tell me I'm open to all ideas.

Thanks


Hi Ryan00, 

Welcome to EpicSki. 

There are some in your category for an all mountain ski that has a propensity for park.  If I were going to go with a volkl I'd go with the Kink.  From Armada the strong contender is  the AlDente.  I'm not familiar with the Head Caddy but I'll check into that.  One of the skis that I sell a lot of for this world is the Nordica Soul Rider.  @Finndog may have something to say about this ski. 

post #5 of 9

Not really sure how to answer the question about a 3 year old pair of skis vs. this years models.  If you can't get to a ski shop, it wouldn't hurt to call one or two and ask some questions.  I would imagine they would be helpful and probably be able to give you some unbiased information.  

 

I imagine you've probably done your own research, but after reading your post, I found a couple articles you might find interesting and arm yourself with some more knowledge.

 

www.trails.com › Snow & Ice Sports › Skiing › Ski Tips

 

www.backcountry.com/.../how-to-choose-a-park-ski

post #6 of 9

I don't ride park all that often anymore, so the park skis I do ride are pretty much all mountain as well.  I've mostly ridden line skis in the past and they are nice but don't hold up as good as some others.  And for this season I just bought some kastle xx90's, and they're a bit stiffer than some park skis I've ridden, which is nice for days with the fam when I'm skiing hardpack (but over pushing them is still pretty easy), but they've got that early rise camber and I believe (though I can't remember for sure) a sintered 7000 base, which is much harder than a lot of park skis, so that's a plus too when dealing with rails and all.  And when I went up last week the weather turned out to be different than we were expecting, so I hit some bumps with them and they did alright in them too even with them center mounted.  A review was done on kastle on here for when they first came out with the park series (all specs still the same for the park skis)...

Kastle 2013 Ski Line Overview and Reviews
started on 10/31/12 last post 09/20/14 at 6:31am 65 replies 18009 views

I've heard good things about the punx from several people, and my friend has the caddy, he really like them... But for park, it's such a style and preference thing, that I don't think you can really go wrong as long a ski isn't like notoriously bad... Best of luck to you!

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaintroll View Post

I don't ride park all that often anymore, so the park skis I do ride are pretty much all mountain as well.  I've mostly ridden line skis in the past and they are nice but don't hold up as good as some others.  And for this season I just bought some kastle xx90's, and they're a bit stiffer than some park skis I've ridden, which is nice for days with the fam when I'm skiing hardpack (but over pushing them is still pretty easy), but they've got that early rise camber and I believe (though I can't remember for sure) a sintered 7000 base, which is much harder than a lot of park skis, so that's a plus too when dealing with rails and all.  And when I went up last week the weather turned out to be different than we were expecting, so I hit some bumps with them and they did alright in them too even with them center mounted.  A review was done on kastle on here for when they first came out with the park series (all specs still the same for the park skis)...
Kastle 2013 Ski Line Overview and Reviews
started on 10/31/12 last post 09/20/14 at 6:31am 65 replies 18009 views

I've heard good things about the punx from several people, and my friend has the caddy, he really like them... But for park, it's such a style and preference thing, that I don't think you can really go wrong as long a ski isn't like notoriously bad... Best of luck to you!

Yes I totally agree on the last part. It really boils down to how much swing weight you want, how much flex, the graphic, durability and that's all. Skis now a days are so good that you can't go wrong they all have the same technology but call it different from brand to brand. Park skis are more of a preference. There all twins meant for jumps and rails. You can't go wrong with well known brands like atomic, Head, Volkl, line or any other major ones. I'll just have to find one for a good price that fits me best.

Thanks for the input means a lot ☺

And how does your friends caddys hold up with chipping and what not?
post #8 of 9
moment pb&j, praxis piste jibs, on3p kartel 98 would be great park/all mtn skis!
post #9 of 9

He has only had them for a couple weeks now, so I think he's had em five times out, but so far all they've got is a couple scratches on the top but no chipping yet.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Need help with skis! All mountain/park skis