or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Binding Misdrill and Mount - Page 2

post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

I've mismeasured and misdrilled plenty of times without the aid of intoxicants--although not on skis. Certainly possible a tech is stoned; more likely rushed and overworked and getting yelled at by the boss who's getting yelled at by the customers who want their skis done yesterday. And do you think techs aren't aware of the kind of contempt towards them that is expressed in this thread? Do you think that encourages them to be extra careful with your skis (not talking about the OP)? 

 

Any criticism to the tech or shop should be for not noticing after the jig came off and binding went on... or worse, noticing but hoping the customer would not.  That is what was really wrong here IMO. Own up to the mistake on the front end when that happens.

 

The hilarious thing is that I don't even think the ski in the photo is all THAT terrible.  I'd probably not be demanding a new pair of skis over that, though I wouldn't be happy.  I do all my own skis and have a pair that came out a little worse than that one.  I ski them and it isn't even noticeable to me at all.  I was really bummed when I saw the clamp had moved but just decided to try them anyway before deciding to move up/back a little and re drill.  They ski fine to me.  The mistakes that are likely to be due to intoxication are the ones where any skier would immediately notice when picking up the skis... hence the ski 3" different than the other one I gave as the stoned tech example. 

post #32 of 47

I don't think it was the jig error or problem. It looks as if the the tech centered the jig or the template on the silk screened hash marks on the ski, the binding looks centered on the the hash marks. The hash marks are not centered on the ski, they are offset.

 

Edit: A local tech stripped several holes while mounting new bindings on my new skis.

I now drill and mount my own bindings.


Edited by dwoof2 - 6/3/15 at 3:16pm
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

I've mismeasured and misdrilled plenty of times without the aid of intoxicants--although not on skis. Certainly possible a tech is stoned; more likely rushed and overworked and getting yelled at by the boss who's getting yelled at by the customers who want their skis done yesterday. And do you think techs aren't aware of the kind of contempt towards them that is expressed in this thread? Do you think that encourages them to be extra careful with your skis (not talking about the OP)? 

The expectations that are put upon Techs is unusually high especially during the busy season and busy times of the day. I work at a shop that takes mounting and tuning very seriously and being a self proclaimed binding geek I appreciate it. It is tough to convey to the average consumer that a mount will take the better bart of an hour by the time that we get the equipment into the process, let the tech finish the mount that he is doing, make sure all the paperwork is correct. Measure the skis (and not just go off the "center line" but make sure both skis are the same, torque test EVERYTHING, document everything, etc etc ect. I have seen shops where not ever step is taken and seeing what they let out the door was indeed scary. I will not say that we haven't made mistakes but they are very few and far between because we take our time. 

post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoof2 View Post
 

I don't think it was the jig error or problem. It looks as if the the tech centered the jig or the template on the  silk screened hash marks on the ski, They binding looks centered on the center of the hash marks. The hash marks are not centered on the ski, they are offset.

The jigs I've seen looked like they could clamp down in the outside bottom edges of the ski then draw the hole pattern in to the center of the ski from the outside of the metal edges, nothing to do with eyeballing based on the graphics.  If it comes loose from that metal edge, like the drill skates a little drilling the first hole, or if it wasn't against the metal edge from the start, that is how this happens..

post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

I've mismeasured and misdrilled plenty of times without the aid of intoxicants--although not on skis. Certainly possible a tech is stoned; more likely rushed and overworked and getting yelled at by the boss who's getting yelled at by the customers who want their skis done yesterday. And do you think techs aren't aware of the kind of contempt towards them that is expressed in this thread? Do you think that encourages them to be extra careful with your skis (not talking about the OP)? 

Expression such as this wouldn't happen if the errors are corrected and resolved and not for me to find and solve.

 

I paid for a professional service and as such expect the benefit from using a professional.  If I screw up a mount, set a DIN wrong or forget to set the forward pressure and something happens the response is "serves you right you should have seen a professional tech as they've been trained and know what they are doing and we can't share the installation manuals with because you aren't trained."  They do it wrong and fail to do the quality control checks, the response is "oh it's human error and sometimes it happens."

 

So it's either your trained and a professional or you are not.  If your a professional, take responsibility that its you error and you eat the cost to make it good (hopefully no injury happened as a result).  The lack of understanding in this regard, is what creates the need to have these threads for the most part that notice is given that this practice is not acceptable.

 

For those shops and tech's (a few on this site) that actually do all the right things (even when errors happen, correct them and take care of their customers), please don't feel by any means that this addressed at you as you are the example of how things should be done correctly.  My hats off to you.

 

The rest learn from the bitching that happens on a thread like this and the potential risks that you are causing for yourselves by not rectifying the problems, when they happen.

post #36 of 47

Once the wife got a pair of Pocket Rockets mounted at a local place.  The graphics were the same on both skis, but Salomon turned them around so that it looked like one ski was forward and one was backward when they were mounted correctly.  In order to make sure that they weren't mounted incorrectly they put a big arrow pointing toward the front of each ski where the boot goes.  My tech didn't figure that out and mounted one of the skis backwards.  It took two trips to the mountain and a lot of bitching about how lousy the skis were before we noticed the mistake.

 

End of story is that we got a new pair of skis, and this pair skied a lot better.

post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

Insults aren't funny, and saying you're just "funnin" and telling someone who doesn't appreciate your lame and trite humor that they need to lighten up and are humorless doesn't make you any more funny--just more rude and condescending. 

One uptight and hyper-sensitive man's insult is another less excessively earnest man's good-natured and gentle ribbing.  As to your peevish lecturing, well let's just say you at least certainly do know what condescending is, Pot.  Speaking of Pot/Kettle issues, if you've ever in your life jokingly mocked others based on the stereotype(s) of their profession, then your admonishment here reeks a bit of hypocrisy.  Greedy Lawyers, Donut-Eating Cops, Butt-Crack Baring Plumbers...Bueller, Bueller? 

 

BTW, if you think I'm anywhere close to rich, you clearly haven't seen my portfolio...or lack thereof.

Man, I can't help but wonder, do you find people discreetly sidling away from you at parties?

post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
 

Once the wife got a pair of Pocket Rockets mounted at a local place.  The graphics were the same on both skis, but Salomon turned them around so that it looked like one ski was forward and one was backward when they were mounted correctly.

We have a winner for worst mismount ever LOL!

post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skierish View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

Insults aren't funny, and saying you're just "funnin" and telling someone who doesn't appreciate your lame and trite humor that they need to lighten up and are humorless doesn't make you any more funny--just more rude and condescending. 

One uptight and hyper-sensitive man's insult is another less excessively earnest man's good-natured and gentle ribbing.  As to your peevish lecturing, well let's just say you at least certainly do know what condescending is, Pot.  Speaking of Pot/Kettle issues, if you've ever in your life jokingly mocked others based on the stereotype(s) of their profession, then your admonishment here reeks a bit of hypocrisy.  Greedy Lawyers, Donut-Eating Cops, Butt-Crack Baring Plumbers...Bueller, Bueller? 

 

BTW, if you think I'm anywhere close to rich, you clearly haven't seen my portfolio...or lack thereof.

Man, I can't help but wonder, do you find people discreetly sidling away from you at parties?

Your response is the classic response of the person who makes an insulting joke, claims they are joking, even though the insult and the thought behind it is real, and then blames the person who is insulted--or in my case defending those who have been insulted--for not being a good sport and getting the joke. The kind of response women, among others, have been putting up with for years, if not centuries or millenia. Obviously insulting ski techs is not on the same level as harassing women at work, but stereotyping and dehumanizing those who do work for us is a serious matter in my book, even if you don't appreciate it. Have I ever been guilty of the same offense. Sure, but I have the good sense to apologize or at least recognize my error when it is pointed out to me or I realize it myself. And besides joking that ski techs are all on drugs is a very stale joke that we've all heard about a hundred times too many. 

 

Oh, and for the record, I've never had bad work done at Philpug's shop. For that matter, I'd guess that over the years my family and I have had well over 50 mounts done, all at shops, and all free of mistakes. Same goes for tunes. Wherever all those stoned techs are, they're obviously avoiding me.

post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

Your response is the classic response of the person who makes an insulting joke, claims they are joking, even though the insult and the thought behind it is real, and then blames the person who is insulted--or in my case defending those who have been insulted--for not being a good sport and getting the joke. 

 

Oh, and for the record, I've never had bad work done at Philpug's shop. 

 

Dude, you do need to lighten up.

Your assumption about me is mistaken...no surprise there.  Also, I never said squat about Phil's shop.  In fact, had you paid attention, I said I "luvs me" my shop techs.  I too have had nothing but good experiences with shop mounts and tunes, and I enjoy shooting the shit with the techs while I'm there...be they stoners or (mostly) not, I don't actually care.

 

Re-read my posts and get a grip, Man!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I hear a donut calling my name...

post #41 of 47




I'm constantly dropping intoxicants on my Techs & my skis are always mounted accurately.......👍
post #42 of 47

I offered beer to the bootfitter who did my Intuitions. He asked for baked goods instead. Recovering alcoholic.

post #43 of 47

I gots baklava, I gots Linzer torte, I gots Dogfish Head, I gots Heavy Seas.    Who wants to do a double buckle shift on a Lange followed by an Intuition bake?  :)

post #44 of 47

Donuts from the Treat Box. Nothing high class.

post #45 of 47
Thread Starter 

I just wanted to provide a follow up to my situation. The shop that mounted the binding made good on my expectation and got me a new pair of skis and mounted correctly. I was so happy with the outcome and the way that things went down that I recently bought my daughter a new pair of Black Pearls with bindings. And to boot they were mounted correctly the first time which was a relief when I picked them up. Kudos to doing the right thing!!

post #46 of 47

Great to hear they hooked you up right.  I guess they've earned your loyalty and referrals.  That's what brick and mortars have to do to compete.

post #47 of 47


Really glad to hear it worked out well for you. And glad to hear that the shop is one that believes in doing the right thing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion