Sorry for yet another "where to in Europe" thread, but need some advice :)
Planning on taking wife, 1 year old baby and both my and wife's parents on a ski trip in the 2015/2016 season. I know it's early but my wife is insisting that we make reservations in advance given we need to coordinate the schedules of 4 different groups of people who all live on different continents/states :(
Basically, my wife, myself and my father would be the only ones really skiing. The grandmoms will likely not ski (although may take the gondola up just to sight-see and take it back down, assume that is an option?) and just do touristy activities. So what we are looking for are:
1) Close to airport with minimal hassle and time to get to resort (planning on renting a van or car, although train is an option if it is significantly faster) to the resort
2) Large world class resort area (glitzy is preferred, and price is not an issue) where the skiiers and non-skiiers can easily meet up without having to drive far in separate groups. Also, my mom is diagnosed with OCD so everything must be extremely clean and comfortable or else she will literally panic. "Small quaint town" is not what we are looking for.
3) Plenty of things for the non-skiiers to do within a 60 minute drive, such as shopping, sight-seeing and eating, preferably with much of it within the resort area.
4) Looking for a bit of that old "Euro" charm but also plenty of new, modern, clean facilities including spas and saunas for the lady folk
5) Off-piste, steep challenging runs, and powder don't matter - will be mainly skiing blues and easy groomers. Our objective is more to have a good time with the family, enjoy awe-inspiring scenery with the European flavor and do some good easy "touring" skiing.
6) Our window for the start of the trip is 3rd week of December to 1st week of January, so it must be a place that will reliably have snow.
For some reason my heart is set on the Swiss alps, but I worry about the snow. I hear the French resorts have better reliability in the early season, but if it's 3rd week of December/1st week of January, should be fine in Swiss no?
Based on the above, would really appreciate any suggestions that you may have for me.
Also, want to hire a guide and/or instructor for a day (for my wife and dad, who are very rusty even though they ski), so if any of you lot are based in any of these resorts, please let me know via pm :)