EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › How Many Days Per Season on Average?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How Many Days Per Season on Average? - Page 3

Poll Results: How many days do you usually ski per season roughly?

 
  • 7% (16)
    More than 100
  • 18% (42)
    50-100
  • 32% (73)
    25-50
  • 30% (69)
    10-25
  • 10% (23)
    5-10 (or a week or two)
  • 2% (5)
    0-5 (once in awhile)
228 Total Votes  
post #61 of 103

I've been tracking at 30-40 over the last few years. I'm sitting at 27 so far this season, and will probably end it at 35. 

post #62 of 103

My college ski club made it easy to average over 20, most of which in New England but also a week-long spring break trip out west each year.

 

The past two seasons (since I graduated) are more like 10-15 days, but still squeezing in at least 5 of those days out west!

post #63 of 103

My goal is 20 days per season.  With the terrible weather in the northeast this year, I got to 15.  Was lucky enough to get one day with 10 inches of fresh.  So it wasn't all bad.:D

post #64 of 103
27 this year so far, been working at 30 days the past five years. Hoping to finally get in 30 days this April, but it's hard to achieve living in the mid-Atlantic and flying everywhere to ski! Airline travel days really eat up work and ski days at the same time...

Quality, not quantity they say...

post #65 of 103

Have been averaging 25 days over the last 4 years in the mid-Atlantic/VT.  2015/16 was horrible, I retired the boards last weekend, and I don't think that I'm the only one who's bitter about the El Nino weather pattern here in the east.  Good for those who can consistently fly to the freshies but for the rest of us financial and social mortals, this year was wayyyy below average.  

post #66 of 103

I aim for 20-25 at my local field, Turoa ,on Mt Ruapehu which is a 3.5 hr drive away,and managed 27 days last season. 

And I hope  to hit the slopes in The States for 18-20  each year .This years trip to The States we did 15 resorts in 23 days.And 2700 miles.

post #67 of 103

18 so far this year, and will do 5 more last week of March. Most days ever. Last few year have been averaging 10 - 15. Pretty good for someone who lives in South Florida.

post #68 of 103

Ok, I will bite. Friday will be 65 so far this season. This is possible because I live in the center of the ski universe......Michigan.

post #69 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post

27 this year so far, been working at 30 days the past five years. Hoping to finally get in 30 days this April, but it's hard to achieve living in the mid-Atlantic and flying everywhere to ski! Airline travel days really eat up work and ski days at the same time...

Quality, not quantity they say...

Right.

 

I am at 44 now but I cheated because only 5 were in Colorado. I skied 8 days in WV that were knee deep, in admittedly a bad year. Not quite waist deep like your picture, but still every day I ski is a Quality Day, does not matter if I got on an airplane or not. I do have 6 moar days scheduled April in SLC and five or six in May at ABasin. Considering the crew that will be with me these will be quality days no question.

post #70 of 103
Article on the local nutcase (the article makes him sounds okay, though.. Haven't met him.) shooting for 7 million vertical feet. He hadn't been on skis in 24 years!!
http://flatheadbeacon.com/2016/03/15/first-time-pass-holder-surpasses-6-million-vertical-feet-and-counting-2/
post #71 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Article on the local nutcase (the article makes him sounds okay, though.. Haven't met him.) shooting for 7 million vertical feet. He hadn't been on skis in 24 years!!
http://flatheadbeacon.com/2016/03/15/first-time-pass-holder-surpasses-6-million-vertical-feet-and-counting-2/


Doesn't sound like a "nutcase", just a ski nut who didn't have a chance to ski for a long time because of other life priorities.  Good for him to figure out a way to be a 51yo ski bum this winter.

 

"Jones was wholly unaware of the vert program when he arrived in Whitefish and bought a pair of Dynastar skis at the local ski swap this fall. He purchased a season pass and began skiing regularly with the sole goal of enjoying and exploring the mountain.

“After I’d been skiing a couple weeks, a friend of mine said, ‘Dude, you’re No. 22 in the vert.’ I asked, ‘What is the vert?’” Jones recalled last week in between turns.

Jones learned about the program and thought it would be fun to see how much mileage he could pile up. Pretty soon, the longtime construction worker and former member of the Air Force was motivated by a grand ambition.

“I felt pretty good on skis again even though I hadn’t skied in 24 years. I thought I was skiing pretty well,” he said. “Once I committed, I just went full on.”

post #72 of 103

I try to ski my age, or at least my decade.  Have done the latter since I turned 50 (13 years ago)  so far this year I'm at 53,  60 is likely.  63 will be hard.

post #73 of 103
@marznc, he skis the same two runs again and again and again. Prior winners have been disparaged as "hamsters", even though they skied off piste and ate lunch. Really, you can have no conception of what it takes to lay down this kind of mileage. There's enthusiasm, and then there's this.
post #74 of 103

This would bore me to death.  I'd quit skiing before putting myself through the torture of skiing the same two groomers for 6.5 - 7 hours a day, day after day, without any breaks.  Ugh.

post #75 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
 

This would bore me to death.  I'd quit skiing before putting myself through the torture of skiing the same two groomers for 6.5 - 7 hours a day, day after day, without any breaks.  Ugh.

 

It's a sliding scale.    Two groomers, OK, what about the same 5 groomers?    With maybe 2 20 minute breaks per day?

It doesn't take much to enter "This is What A Regular Season Looks Like for A Lot of Folks" territory.

 

post #76 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
 

This would bore me to death.  I'd quit skiing before putting myself through the torture of skiing the same two groomers for 6.5 - 7 hours a day, day after day, without any breaks.  Ugh.

 

 

What ever floats your boat.  Guy has a lot of catching up to do.

post #77 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post

 

It's a sliding scale.    Two groomers, OK, what about the same 5 groomers?    With maybe 2 20 minute breaks per day?

 

Sounds like a recent day at Roundtop to me. :) But things get more fine grained in my head to keep from getting bored... like "I haven't skied the far left side of that groomer yet"... or "what if I made all long radius turns this time?".

post #78 of 103
Anyone else averaging over 200 a year? That does include both hemispheres though.
post #79 of 103
There is a Japanese couple at my local mountain in Vancouver that ski every day in the season from December - April, then move to Whistler till end of May before departing for New Zealand. I reckon they ski 230+ days per year.

Oh, and they are in their 70s. Hats off. Just fantastic.
post #80 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post

...here's where I should be after my trip next week :

2014-2015 : 13
2015-2016 : 17
Average : 15

I'm going to set a goal of 20 for next year!

So I missed one of my planned days on this trip and only wound up at 16 for this season. Still gunning for 20 next year.
post #81 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Article on the local nutcase (the article makes him sounds okay, though.. Haven't met him.) shooting for 7 million vertical feet. He hadn't been on skis in 24 years!!
http://flatheadbeacon.com/2016/03/15/first-time-pass-holder-surpasses-6-million-vertical-feet-and-counting-2/

This guy is back. I thought he was going to give it a rest this year. They've got six days of data, the mountain didn't open most of the full vertical terrain until yesterday, and he's got 292,764 feet.

He finished last year with 8 million. http://www.whitefishpilot.com/news/article_c1f1d536-00ee-11e6-bf40-6327dbc0b202.html
post #82 of 103

Typically around 80 per year. Last year was bad, under 50.

post #83 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post


This guy is back. I thought he was going to give it a rest this year. They've got six days of data, the mountain didn't open most of the full vertical terrain until yesterday, and he's got 292,764 feet.

He finished last year with 8 million. http://www.whitefishpilot.com/news/article_c1f1d536-00ee-11e6-bf40-6327dbc0b202.html

 

30 laps a day?  Everyday throughout ski season?  Weekends till 8:30 p.m.?  Wow.  Is he really having a good time?  I know how hard it is for me to get over 50 days.   

post #84 of 103
I'd heard last year he was going to have fun this year and ski off piste and everything. Maybe after it gets deeper??? Can't think why he'd want to beat himself. He beat the prior record by 3 million feet! If I ever realize he's on the same chair as I am, I'll have to confront him about this lunacy. The last "King" at least skied the trees occasionally.

I don't have an issue with his days, but he should at least take time to enjoy the scenery.
post #85 of 103

My son is at 10 days already this year and should likely get to 50-60.   Man those racing teams are dedicated!    

post #86 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

I'd heard last year he was going to have fun this year and ski off piste and everything. Maybe after it gets deeper??? Can't think why he'd want to beat himself. He beat the prior record by 3 million feet! If I ever realize he's on the same chair as I am, I'll have to confront him about this lunacy. The last "King" at least skied the trees occasionally.

I don't have an issue with his days, but he should at least take time to enjoy the scenery.


@sibhusky

Every time I see a positive article on Facebook why to go to whitefish there are a bunch of locals that say don't come it's foggy every day. So maybe the scenery isn't visible when he is out there lol. Besides isn't it fun when your phone tells you that your winning that trumps anything else lol.
post #87 of 103
My phone doesn't tell me a thing and I hope it keeps its mouth shut.

Oh, yeah, the fog. It's just killing me.

post #88 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

My phone doesn't tell me a thing and I hope it keeps its mouth shut.

Oh, yeah, the fog. It's just killing me.



Looks nice. I'm sure those locals are fibbing. I was thinking of moving to Colorado but then I read about the 650,000 epic passes sold and am really wondering what that means for lift lines. I'm sure the locals at whitefish are trying to keep it quiet.
post #89 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioskier View Post


Looks nice. I'm sure those locals are fibbing. I was thinking of moving to Colorado but then I read about the 650,000 epic passes sold and am really wondering what that means for lift lines. I'm sure the locals at whitefish are trying to keep it quiet.

 

If you aren't set on living in Denver/Boulder are willing to live/ski in places not part of the Vail collection of I-70 resorts, there is always Eldora, Winter Park, Steamboat, Copper, Cooper, Monarch, Loveland, Purgatory, Aspen/Snowmass, Powderhorn, Sunlight, Telluride, Crested Butte, Wolf Creek, Silverton, Howelsen, Granby Ranch, etc. 

post #90 of 103
When I was in college and patrolling at my local hill, I'd get 50 or so days a season. Local hill is only open friday, Saturday and Sunday. Now that I've got a normal job and can only ski weekends, I get right about 40 days a season.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › How Many Days Per Season on Average?