or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Wolf Creek discount Lift Tickets?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wolf Creek discount Lift Tickets?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Does anyone have any recommendations for a place to get discounted Wolf Creek lift tickets for this weekend (Fri-Sun, 16-18)?

 

I know they're already as fairly priced as pretty much anyone could be but I'm trying to keep costs as low as possible. I already have a room in Pagosa Springs reserved also.

 

Thanks.

post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmap View Post
 

Does anyone have any recommendations for a place to get discounted Wolf Creek lift tickets for this weekend (Fri-Sun, 16-18)?

 

I know they're already as fairly priced as pretty much anyone could be but I'm trying to keep costs as low as possible. I already have a room in Pagosa Springs reserved also.

 

Thanks.

 

Is anybody in your group active duty military? They can get $41 tickets for their immediate family.

 

The only other discounts I am aware of are $41 lift tickets on "Local Appreciation Days" (everyone buying a ticket gets this price regardless of where they live). http://www.wolfcreekski.com/wolf-creek-appreciation-days.php

 

There are also $41 tickets for "College Days" with a photo ID.  http://www.wolfcreekski.com/wolf-creek-college-days.php

 

However, none of these are in effect for your time period, because it is MLK weekend, and I'm not aware of any other discounts. They keep things simple.

 

I think you are stuck with $63 tickets otherwise.

post #3 of 17

Are you familiar with Wolf?  If you have any questions I'm happy to answer. I'll be up there this weekend playing around.

post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks anachronism. None are military but one is law enforcement. I appreciate the info on the tickets.

 

I have never been to Wolf but I've skied in Durango a few years ago. I do have a couple of friends who've been to Wolf but I've never skied there and I haven't been to Pagosa Springs either. So any info or input is always welcome.

post #5 of 17

Well, Wolf and DMR are about 180* apart.

 

What kind of terrain is your group looking to ski?

post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 

Personally I want to ski the bowls and most anything black or powdery they have. I'd also like to do some tree skiing. I personally don't like moguls so I'll be avoiding those if Wolf has any. All the skiers are anywhere from low intermediate to advanced intermediate.

post #7 of 17

The local hotels in Pagosa Springs sell discounted lift tickets to Wolf Creek. You'll save maybe $4-5 per lift ticket. 

 

I'll be there this weekend as well. :)

post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Perfect. Anything helps. Thank you Gigglinpig.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmap View Post
 

Personally I want to ski the bowls and most anything black or powdery they have. I'd also like to do some tree skiing. I personally don't like moguls so I'll be avoiding those if Wolf has any. All the skiers are anywhere from low intermediate to advanced intermediate.

 

Because this year has been pretty lackluster in snowfall, there are more moguls than usual.

 

Spend some quality time in the Glory Hole area and surrounding bowls. The traverse from the top of Treasure is short but preserves fresh snow. Lots of non-threatening places to drop in. 

 

Most of the terrain at Wolf is treed. For an introduction, ski Serendipity and Pitch's Gate. Both of these are very mildly pitched with a finish that is a bit steeper, but the steeper part opens up.

 

I would also recommend Abracadabra and Simpatico as tree runs that are a bit tougher but generally soft snow that is well protected. Take the Coyote Park look and look CAREFULLY for the signs at the top of these areas- they are a bit off the trail.  Be careful turning off the catwalk before the signs- the unsigned trees between Tsunami and Abracadabra lead to the Numbered Chutes, and those are far rowdier than an Intermediate is going to like.

 

If snow is fresh, another intro to tree skiing is Little Moka.  Take the Elma lift (the new one that isn't on their trail maps yet) and ski into the trees just skiers right of the Elma lift line. It is short and sweet, and used to be almost universally untouched before the lift went in. :/  However, this area has one of the worst aspects on the mountain (south facing) and will turn to crap quickly after a storm.

 

For cleared black runs that have no moguls, I think Alberta Face is pretty much it. Star Wars (what a stupid name for a ski run) has muguls, but they tend to be more of the big sweeping kind rather than the tightly packed minefields.  The trees skiers right of Star Wars are forgiving and typically have no bumps.

 

Wolf is light in groomed cruisers. The best cruiser on the mountain is Charisma. Next is Powder Puff, Followed by Tranquility. Glory Hole (the run, not the bowl above it), Summer Day, Navajo Trail are very flat and more in line for a beginner.

 

Finally, if you are looking for an adventure, (and assuming the free Horseshoe Bowl cat is running, which typically happens holiday weekends) hike out to Voodoo Bowl.  This requires hiking up the Knife Ridge stairs (worth it) clicking into skis at the top of the stairs, and traversing out Knife Ridge.  The Knife Ridge traverse will spook a lot of people- make sure anybody you take knows what they are getting in for. Pick up the cat, take it to Horseshoe Bowl, then climb to the top of Horseshoe- another quick hike of 3-5 minutes.

 

From the top of Horseshoe, do this-

 

This is Voodoo Bowl, and the video starts from the top of Horseshoe. It is playful and rolling and is pretty much always untracked, and IMO a much better use of my time than dropping into the bowl. Warning- you have a long catwalk to follow back out, but the whole thing should be memorable.

post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglinpig View Post
 

The local hotels in Pagosa Springs sell discounted lift tickets to Wolf Creek. You'll save maybe $4-5 per lift ticket. 

 

I'll be there this weekend as well. :)

 

Can you give me details on which hotels? This is the first I have heard of any discounts and would like to give better advice. :)

post #11 of 17

Finally, if anybody wants to meet up for a lap or two, drop me a PM.

 

If you see me on the mountain, be sure to say hi. Look for a baby blue helmet, an 8" beard, and long hair.

post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
 

 

Can you give me details on which hotels? This is the first I have heard of any discounts and would like to give better advice. :)

Pagosa Inns & Suites is the one I usually stay at.  http://www.pagosaspringsinnsuites.com/ and they had discounted lift tickets for WC up until last year. I haven't stayed there this year, so best to call and check. 

post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
 

 

Because this year has been pretty lackluster in snowfall, there are more moguls than usual.

 

Spend some quality time in the Glory Hole area and surrounding bowls. The traverse from the top of Treasure is short but preserves fresh snow. Lots of non-threatening places to drop in. 

 

Most of the terrain at Wolf is treed. For an introduction, ski Serendipity and Pitch's Gate. Both of these are very mildly pitched with a finish that is a bit steeper, but the steeper part opens up.

 

I would also recommend Abracadabra and Simpatico as tree runs that are a bit tougher but generally soft snow that is well protected. Take the Coyote Park look and look CAREFULLY for the signs at the top of these areas- they are a bit off the trail.  Be careful turning off the catwalk before the signs- the unsigned trees between Tsunami and Abracadabra lead to the Numbered Chutes, and those are far rowdier than an Intermediate is going to like.

 

If snow is fresh, another intro to tree skiing is Little Moka.  Take the Elma lift (the new one that isn't on their trail maps yet) and ski into the trees just skiers right of the Elma lift line. It is short and sweet, and used to be almost universally untouched before the lift went in. :/  However, this area has one of the worst aspects on the mountain (south facing) and will turn to crap quickly after a storm.

 

For cleared black runs that have no moguls, I think Alberta Face is pretty much it. Star Wars (what a stupid name for a ski run) has muguls, but they tend to be more of the big sweeping kind rather than the tightly packed minefields.  The trees skiers right of Star Wars are forgiving and typically have no bumps.

 

Wolf is light in groomed cruisers. The best cruiser on the mountain is Charisma. Next is Powder Puff, Followed by Tranquility. Glory Hole (the run, not the bowl above it), Summer Day, Navajo Trail are very flat and more in line for a beginner.

 

Finally, if you are looking for an adventure, (and assuming the free Horseshoe Bowl cat is running, which typically happens holiday weekends) hike out to Voodoo Bowl.  This requires hiking up the Knife Ridge stairs (worth it) clicking into skis at the top of the stairs, and traversing out Knife Ridge.  The Knife Ridge traverse will spook a lot of people- make sure anybody you take knows what they are getting in for. Pick up the cat, take it to Horseshoe Bowl, then climb to the top of Horseshoe- another quick hike of 3-5 minutes.

 

From the top of Horseshoe, do this-

 

This is Voodoo Bowl, and the video starts from the top of Horseshoe. It is playful and rolling and is pretty much always untracked, and IMO a much better use of my time than dropping into the bowl. Warning- you have a long catwalk to follow back out, but the whole thing should be memorable.


This looks fun! Thanks! I made it to Pagosa Springs today. I'll give that a shot this weekend. I can't wait to try it out.

post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
 

This is Voodoo Bowl, and the video starts from the top of Horseshoe. It is playful and rolling and is pretty much always untracked, and IMO a much better use of my time than dropping into the bowl. Warning- you have a long catwalk to follow back out, but the whole thing should be memorable.

 

 

Nice video anachronism!  I'm trying to improve my own video footage and camera shake is my main problem (and your video looks pretty darn smooth compared to mine).  If you don't mind me asking, where do you wear your camera, and what kind of mount are you using?  And what camera are you using?  Also, do you use any image stabilization software in post processing, or is that video straight out of the camera?  And what video editing software are you using?  Any insights you could share would be much appreciated!!   Thumbs Up

post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Giles View Post


Nice video anachronism!  I'm trying to improve my own video footage and camera shake is my main problem (and your video looks pretty darn smooth compared to mine).  If you don't mind me asking, where do you wear your camera, and what kind of mount are you using?  And what camera are you using?  Also, do you use any image stabilization software in post processing, or is that video straight out of the camera?  And what video editing software are you using?  Any insights you could share would be much appreciated!!   icon14.gif

Camera is a Gopro hero hd (the first one) shooting in 960p. It can shoot 1080p but with a restricted field of vision that makes it really tough to correctly aim the camera.

Camera is helmet mounted and I use the little rubber plug in the mount to limit vibration.

No stabilization processing.

That clip was edited with windows movie maker. I gave up on using WMM because I kept losing so much detail in conversion even using formats that should have been native to the format GoPro saves in. GoPro Studio is free and doesn't screw up image quality.

Finally, I've taken to uploading to Vimeo because their encoding seems to be better quality as well.
post #16 of 17

Thanks for the info anachronism!  I looked at some of my ski footage again from last March and it actually wasn't too bad, but I still think I'm getting more image shake than you are.  It may be the type of mount I'm using.  I may try a chest mount in the future, which I hear yields steadier footage.

 

I've been using WMM as well, but I think I'm going to upgrade to something like Corel VideoStudio (testing a trial version of it now) or Cyberlink PowerDirector to see how I like those.  But I'm not using a GoPro so I'm not sure if I can use GoPro Studio.

 

And yeah I'm not too impressed with Youtube's encoding either.  At least not on MY videos anyway.  I think they must have some kind of algorithm that gives preferential (better) encoding for "partners" who make a lot of money for them.  :nono:   I'll definitely try Vimeo soon and see if the same video looks better there as compared to Youtube.

post #17 of 17

I think I would expect a chest mount to shake more because it is held by straps instead of securely fastened. For my camera to shake, my whole head has to be shaking.

 

However, a chest mount also makes your viewers less dizzy when you look around.

 

Give and take.

 

I have also heard that a chest mount is harder to aim properly.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Wolf Creek discount Lift Tickets?