or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Best Conditions Now (Mid-Jan.) in North America?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Conditions Now (Mid-Jan.) in North America?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Was planning on hitting Whistler this weekend on a last minute trip, but am reading not-so-good reports on conditions despite a bit of a storm coming in.

 

So where is the best skiing in North America right now? Interior BC? Utah?

 

If you could go anywhere, what's most attractive conditon-wise?

 

Thanks!

post #2 of 15

Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY) seem to be the best right now, based on what I've seen and heard. Jackson Hole, Grand Targhee, Whitefish, and Sun Valley would be worth checking out. Utah resorts just got hit with a big storm, so they could be worth a look, as well.

 

A smaller resort worth checking out would be Brundage Mountain in Idaho. A deep base (resort claims 70") with more snow in the forecast. I am heading there this weekend myself.

post #3 of 15
Alta/bird or Jackson.

Aspen's good, but the sunny aspects are still a little firm. Colorado's snowpack is scary and is going to be deadly when we get more snow.
post #4 of 15

Latest pic from the ongoing thread about Snowbird this season, posted 1/13/15.  Storm total on the order of two feet in under 48 hours.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMc View Post

I had to work but my buddy staying with us went up today. the skiing was obviously awesome. Mineral, Road to Provo, and Baldy never opened. He left at three and said it was still dumping.

I'm trying to decide whether to work tomorrow morning, but unfortunately the responsible part of me will probably win out.


It snowed a bit today.


post #5 of 15

We were fortunate enough to be at Snowbird when the storm hit Monday.  20" fell on Monday and Tuesday.  Skiing was fantastic!

post #6 of 15

Yeah, northeast SUCKS right now...kinda afraid about what I'll find at Killington on Saturday with barely any natural snow since one major storm over a month ago and a two day rain event followed by a deep freeze. Yeah it's just groomers but even groomers are much better with a whole bunch of natural snow followed by cold temperatures to keep it somewhat decent.

 

I'll be asking this same question as OP about a third of the way into February - I took the last week of February off to go skiing somewhere (hopefully) exceptional.

 

My criteria will be good snow, intermediate terrain, a cheap bed for a solo traveller, easy to get around without car and dinner options!

 

Bend / Mount Bachelor?

 

Whitefish?

 

Somewhere in British Columbia if airfare is reasonable?

 

Banff?

 

Snowbasin?

post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by twochordcool View Post
 

I'll be asking this same question as OP about a third of the way into February - I took the last week of February off to go skiing somewhere (hopefully) exceptional.

 

My criteria will be good snow, intermediate terrain, a cheap bed for a solo traveller, easy to get around without car and dinner options!

 

Bend / Mount Bachelor?

 

Whitefish?

 

Somewhere in British Columbia if airfare is reasonable?

 

Banff?

 

Snowbasin?

 

TCC back?

 

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Bear View Post

 

TCC back?

 

Shocking!

 

 

post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by twochordcool View Post
 

Yeah, northeast SUCKS right now...kinda afraid about what I'll find at Killington on Saturday with barely any natural snow since one major storm over a month ago and a two day rain event followed by a deep freeze. Yeah it's just groomers but even groomers are much better with a whole bunch of natural snow followed by cold temperatures to keep it somewhat decent.

 

I'll be asking this same question as OP about a third of the way into February - I took the last week of February off to go skiing somewhere (hopefully) exceptional.

 

My criteria will be good snow, intermediate terrain, a cheap bed for a solo traveller, easy to get around without car and dinner options!

 

Bend / Mount Bachelor?

 

Whitefish?

 

Somewhere in British Columbia if airfare is reasonable?

 

Banff?

 

Snowbasin?

 

Steamboat?  :duck:

post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 

Awesome, very helpful. Thanks!

post #11 of 15

We'll get back to Steamboat someday, perhaps when my brother can peel himself away from his family for the better part of a week. Other places to experience in the meantime..

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Bear View Post
 

 

TCC back?

 

 

Yes!! But not in the way you thought! :duck:

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
 

Was planning on hitting Whistler this weekend on a last minute trip, but am reading not-so-good reports on conditions despite a bit of a storm coming in.

 

So where is the best skiing in North America right now? Interior BC? Utah?

 

If you could go anywhere, what's most attractive conditon-wise?

 

Thanks!


Our friends at @Freeride Media just got back from Monashee Powder Snowcats.  It looks to me like they had a little snow. :D

 

Jackson Hole seems to be in the middle of all the snow storms I've been seeing on the news. 

 

Hopefully you can find some fun snow somewhere. 

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by twochordcool View Post

Yeah, northeast SUCKS right now...kinda afraid about what I'll find at Killington on Saturday with barely any natural snow since one major storm over a month ago and a two day rain event followed by a deep freeze. Yeah it's just groomers but even groomers are much better with a whole bunch of natural snow followed by cold temperatures to keep it somewhat decent.

I'll be asking this same question as OP about a third of the way into February - I took the last week of February off to go skiing somewhere (hopefully) exceptional.

My criteria will be good snow, intermediate terrain, a cheap bed for a solo traveller, easy to get around without car and dinner options!

Bend / Mount Bachelor?

Whitefish?

Somewhere in British Columbia if airfare is reasonable?

Banff?

Snowbasin?
For as bad as it's been weather wise the skiing has been pretty good. Even today was excellent. That sespite the immature snow that fell for hours and caused 100's of accidents all over the NE. Did n't KTown report 14 inches?
Perhaps I'm easily amused.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post


For as bad as it's been weather wise the skiing has been pretty good. Even today was excellent. That sespite the immature snow that fell for hours and caused 100's of accidents all over the NE. Did n't KTown report 14 inches?
Perhaps I'm easily amused.


Jay was stellar on Monday.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Best Conditions Now (Mid-Jan.) in North America?