or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Breckenridge week of Feb 7th.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Breckenridge week of Feb 7th.

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

Hello all,

 

I will be returning to Breckenridge for the first time in over 25 years the 2nd week of February.  I know there has been some expansion since I was last there.  So what new terrain should I not miss.  Of course I am talking about the good stuff.  Trees, steeps, bowls etc.

 

If anyone is going to be skiing there at the same time, we should meet up for some turns.

 

Rick G

post #2 of 22

Peak 6 is a lot of fun. Most likely windy, but it keeps the newbies away. Peak 8 is probably my favorite area on the mountain--definitely gives you the feeling of being on the top of the world heading up to Imperial Express.

 

I usually ski at Breck, but I think I'll be heading over to Beaver Creek for the World Cup. What dates are you going to be in?

post #3 of 22

A LOT has changed in 25 years....Namely peak 7 and 8 have been added, the hike to terrain at the top is now serviced by a chairlift as well.

 

And Apparently the trail Centennial off of Peak 10 has gotten steeper as it's changed from a Blue to a Black :rotflmao:In 1990, the summit of peak 8 was 12,998ft. Last years (2013-2014) trail map it shows as 12,987. Now it's 12,998 again. Apparently the mountain is going through growth spurts

 

I usually ski Breck on Monday or Tuesday, send me a PM if you're interested in meeting up, I can show you around

 

 

 

post #4 of 22

I'll be staying solo in Minturn first half of Feb and might try to get over to Breck for and day or two for some friendly company on the slopes, at least for as long as I can keep up:o 

post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx2ski View Post
 

Peak 6 is a lot of fun. Most likely windy, but it keeps the newbies away. Peak 8 is probably my favorite area on the mountain--definitely gives you the feeling of being on the top of the world heading up to Imperial Express.

 

I usually ski at Breck, but I think I'll be heading over to Beaver Creek for the World Cup. What dates are you going to be in?

Thanks for the tip on Peak 6.  I will be arriving with my ski club on Sat the 7th and will be heading home the following Saturday the 14th.

 

Rick G

post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesj View Post
 

I'll be staying solo in Minturn first half of Feb and might try to get over to Breck for and day or two for some friendly company on the slopes, at least for as long as I can keep up:o

 

James, would love to hook up with you for a day.  I will PM you my cell #.  We are staying at Mountain Thunder Lodge at the base of the Gondola.

 

Rick G

 

PS  Did the Minturn Mile a couple of years back.  Pretty cool run from Vail out of bounds to the Minturn Saloon.

post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post
 

A LOT has changed in 25 years....Namely peak 7 and 8 have been added, the hike to terrain at the top is now serviced by a chairlift as well.

 

And Apparently the trail Centennial off of Peak 10 has gotten steeper as it's changed from a Blue to a Black :rotflmao:In 1990, the summit of peak 8 was 12,998ft. Last years (2013-2014) trail map it shows as 12,987. Now it's 12,998 again. Apparently the mountain is going through growth spurts

 

I usually ski Breck on Monday or Tuesday, send me a PM if you're interested in meeting up, I can show you around.

 

Thanks for the tips.  I will PM you my cell.

 

Rick G

post #8 of 22

Wife and I will be out there from the Feb 4 through Feb 25.  Staying In a condo in Dillon and have Breck/Keystone/A-Basin pass.  Hope to hit Breck at least a couple days during that week.  I don't ski there on weekends.  I park at the gondola and take it to the Peak 8 base.  My favorite terrain on a clear day is the bowls served by the Imperial, T-bar and Chair 6.     

post #9 of 22

What type of skier are you and what type of terrain are you comfortable on?

 

Mike

post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post
 

What type of skier are you and what type of terrain are you comfortable on?

 

Mike

 

Advanced level skier who likes a little bit of everything including trees, bumps, steeps, bowls and carving up the corduroy.  Just thought it would be cool to meet up with a few Bears.  Jamesj will be in the area.  We skied together at Blue Knob a couple years back.  Though I will be there with my ski club, I always find it difficult to get some of them to ski with me.  I think they believe that I will lead them into a world of hurt and pain.  LOL  I just like skiing at a high level while I can still do it.  But depending on the day, I could be perfectly content ripping up the groomers for a day.  It is all good!

 

Ski on!

 

Rick G

post #11 of 22

What's really changed at Breckenridge since you were last there is the expert terrain.  I'm not sure how to interpret your classifying yourself as advanced.  Much of our expert terrain is around or in excess of 40 degrees and sustained steeps at that.  So, if that's what you are able and interested in skiing, here's a bit of a view of our terrain.

 

 

Possibly our most notable terrain is our high alpine steeps.  These are on Peak 6 (particularly off of the hike above the Kendo lift -- hike looker's left into Six Senses and beyond to peak 6.5), the upper part of peak 7 (particularly CJ's, Sadie, Tele, Arte's Bowle, and the Y Chutes), the Lake Chutes and Horseshoe Bowl off of Peak 8.  The Lake Chutes are also a hike, and have lines within them that top 59 degrees.  They also have rock bands and can be quite dangerous.

 

Off of peak 9 we have some great tree skiing in the windows and Doors.  If you are a true expert, eye of the needle can be interesting but it has consequences as it is in excess of 40 degrees with lots of trees.

 

Personally, I like E chair off of peak 9, Whale's Tail and the upper part of peak 7, Horseshoe Bowl, and the hike off of Peak 6.  There's the burn on Peak 10 that can be interesting, but given the other terrain, I rarely make it over there.

 

Of course, if you really want to find the goods, your best bet is to take a lesson.  An instructor will help you find the terrain that's appropriate for your skills with the best snow conditions,  Otherwise, you may be hunting around for quite a while and may never find it.

 

Mike

post #12 of 22
Hey mike, which lines in the lake chutes are near 60? I've only heard low 50's before, so I'm just curious
post #13 of 22
Rick, when you did min turn mile. Did you do it with someone who did it before or what? How did you get back?
post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy94z View Post

Rick, when you did min turn mile. Did you do it with someone who did it before or what? How did you get back?

I did it with a group from my ski club.  Other groups did it as well.  The club had a party at the Minturn Saloon and arranged for a bus to bring those not brave enough and to take all of us back to Beaver Creek where we were staying.

 

Rick G

post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy94z View Post

Rick, when you did min turn mile. Did you do it with someone who did it before or what? How did you get back?

I'm staying in Minturn during first half of Feb.  Hope to use Minturn Mile for inexpensive "ski-in" lodging:o

Believe there is local bus service both directions between Minturn and Vail for about $3 per ride throughout the day.

post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post
 

What's really changed at Breckenridge since you were last there is the expert terrain.  I'm not sure how to interpret your classifying yourself as advanced.  Much of our expert terrain is around or in excess of 40 degrees and sustained steeps at that.  So, if that's what you are able and interested in skiing, here's a bit of a view of our terrain.

 

 

Possibly our most notable terrain is our high alpine steeps.  These are on Peak 6 (particularly off of the hike above the Kendo lift -- hike looker's left into Six Senses and beyond to peak 6.5), the upper part of peak 7 (particularly CJ's, Sadie, Tele, Arte's Bowle, and the Y Chutes), the Lake Chutes and Horseshoe Bowl off of Peak 8.  The Lake Chutes are also a hike, and have lines within them that top 59 degrees.  They also have rock bands and can be quite dangerous.

 

Off of peak 9 we have some great tree skiing in the windows and Doors.  If you are a true expert, eye of the needle can be interesting but it has consequences as it is in excess of 40 degrees with lots of trees.

 

Personally, I like E chair off of peak 9, Whale's Tail and the upper part of peak 7, Horseshoe Bowl, and the hike off of Peak 6.  There's the burn on Peak 10 that can be interesting, but given the other terrain, I rarely make it over there.

 

Of course, if you really want to find the goods, your best bet is to take a lesson.  An instructor will help you find the terrain that's appropriate for your skills with the best snow conditions,  Otherwise, you may be hunting around for quite a while and may never find it.

 

Mike

 

Thanks for this info, it is helpful.  I do ski at a fairly high level, especially for my advancing age.  But I do regularly ski double blacks at major resorts.  I am not adverse to a lesson and have been looking at the small class adult lessons.  I figure mid week, advanced level lessons should only have a couple of students making it a semi private for the price of a group.  My last lesson was at Whistler when I took the Extremely Canadian 2 Day Steeps Clinic.  I am pretty confident in my skills and know what I can or can not do so as to not get myself in trouble.

 

Ski on!

 

Rick G

post #17 of 22


Mike has given you a very good run-down of many of the in-bounds hard pitches at Breck, though if you nose around you will find several more. skiNEwhere is correct that none of these approach 60 degrees as measured by inclinometer.  However, there are at least two additional in-bounds lines Mike didn't mention that actually are in the ballpark of 60 degrees, both with clear death-fall potentiaI, so I won't name them either. I have not had the courage to attempt either of those.

post #18 of 22

60 was a typo on my iPad.  50 is for some of the lines in Crazy Ivans.  

 

If you did Extremely Canadian, then you are good to go.  If it were me, I'd try to book one of the workshops.  And ask for Franz (Dave Tyrell), Matt Bellville, Tommy Banks, or Randy Brooks as your instructor.  Franz will take you into some lines in the windows that are incredible.  I didn't even know they were there until I started skiing with Franz last season and I've skied at a high level at Breck for more than 5 years.

 

Mike

post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post
 

60 was a typo on my iPad.  50 is for some of the lines in Crazy Ivans.  

 

If you did Extremely Canadian, then you are good to go.  If it were me, I'd try to book one of the workshops.  And ask for Franz (Dave Tyrell), Matt Bellville, Tommy Banks, or Randy Brooks as your instructor.  Franz will take you into some lines in the windows that are incredible.  I didn't even know they were there until I started skiing with Franz last season and I've skied at a high level at Breck for more than 5 years.

 

Mike

I was wondering what the heck you were talking about, but I wasn't going to throw my bud under the bus. :D

post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post
 

60 was a typo on my iPad.  50 is for some of the lines in Crazy Ivans.  

 

If you did Extremely Canadian, then you are good to go.  If it were me, I'd try to book one of the workshops.  And ask for Franz (Dave Tyrell), Matt Bellville, Tommy Banks, or Randy Brooks as your instructor.  Franz will take you into some lines in the windows that are incredible.  I didn't even know they were there until I started skiing with Franz last season and I've skied at a high level at Breck for more than 5 years.

 

Mike

 

What's with the sausage fest? Add Jenn Losch to the list. She teaches weekdays, when she's not training other instructors.

 

Many of the high level instructors with seniority will be teaching the lesson club thursday-sunday, so consider trying to get them monday-weds.

post #21 of 22

PS CJ's on a good snow day is probably my favorite thing to ski in the world.

post #22 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post
 

60 was a typo on my iPad.  50 is for some of the lines in Crazy Ivans.  

 

If you did Extremely Canadian, then you are good to go.  If it were me, I'd try to book one of the workshops.  And ask for Franz (Dave Tyrell), Matt Bellville, Tommy Banks, or Randy Brooks as your instructor.  Franz will take you into some lines in the windows that are incredible.  I didn't even know they were there until I started skiing with Franz last season and I've skied at a high level at Breck for more than 5 years.

 

Mike

Thanks for the tip.  I will look into that.

 

Rick G

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Breckenridge week of Feb 7th.