or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Looking for a new all-mountain ski
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a new all-mountain ski

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I'm an East Coast rider that mainly rides groomers with a mix of park and some glades. I also do a lot of backwards riding and transition jumps backwards so twin tips are a must. I consider myself at an expert level after 15 years and can ride on any trail including mouguls though I really avoid them in general as I don't enjoy them.

I'm currently riding a pair of 2006 Armada Pipe Cleaners 176 cm . They've served me great but after a few repairs like back and front lip peeling off from excessive use (repaired with epoxy) they're fine now but im looking at buying a new pair.

Last year I demo'd a pair of Volkl Bridge skis at Mt Snow. Thry were fun all around on some very light powder and decent pop on jumps.

As of now I'm looking to buy those but with the larger waist of 95mm am unsure how they would feel on more packed snow and the typical East coast Icy conditions so I'm looking for some alternative options.

I'm trying to limit my budget to $300-400. Also looking at longer skis now 188-190 cm.

Any and all replies are appreciated.

-Mike
post #2 of 13
Thread Starter 
Should I add more info? Not one reply positive or negative?

Bump
post #3 of 13
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 

Yea I mainly do big jumps and avoid rails so only spend maybe 25% of my time in parks. Getting this mainly for groomers and messing around on jumps as a secondary.

I haven't seen Kastle skiis around anywhere. But I'll take a look at these! I like the retro colors! If I were to get these any bindings you could recommend with the type of riding I do
post #5 of 13

I'm a Marker guy, so Marker Jesters would be my vote. Others my chime in with their favorites.

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUFFY View Post
 

I'm a Marker guy, so Marker Jesters would be my vote. Others my chime in with their favorites.

Jesters are a safe bet, a lot of the park guys like the Pivots/FKS's but they are tough to find at steeply discounted prices. 

post #7 of 13

Its hard to find park skis in the length you are looking for. In your budget something like the NFX Lab, or the K2 Sight or a Line would be nice but don't come in the lengths you are asking for. The Bridge comes in a 188 I think, is a great ski and can be had last I looked for around $350-400 for last years model. The Volkl Wall is a bit thinner than the Bridge and comes in a 185 and Nordica The Ace goes up to a 184. Good luck!

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Zest View Post

Its hard to find park skis in the length you are looking for. In your budget something like the NFX Lab, or the K2 Sight or a Line would be nice but don't come in the lengths you are asking for. The Bridge comes in a 188 I think, is a great ski and can be had last I looked for around $350-400 for last years model. The Volkl Wall is a bit thinner than the Bridge and comes in a 185 and Nordica The Ace goes up to a 184. Good luck!

Awesome, thank you for the options! Ill see what I can get a good deal on. Some guy wants to sell me salomon rocker 2 100 model year 2015 for $475 w/ bindings but theyre 178 cm..

Its just hard deciding what to get. I'm 6' 2" so its kinda rough finding the right size. At this point I'll take anything over 180. I think the skis I have now @176 feel a bit small.
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

Jesters are a safe bet, a lot of the park guys like the Pivots/FKS's but they are tough to find at steeply discounted prices. 

When looking at binding size. Say for a 90 mm underboot what kind of binding should I be looking at.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
As of now I'm looking to buy those but with the larger waist of 95mm am unsure how they would feel on more packed snow and the typical East coast Icy conditions so I'm looking for some alternative options.
 


I'm trying to limit my budget to $300-400. Also looking at longer skis now 188-190 cm.

 

1. I talked to a couple of guys in the last 2 years who skied the Volkl Bridge in North East (Mainly Vermont) and they all said that it was nice even on hardpack. Hell, it is not what you could call a frontside all mountain but it still does the job nicely... I don't know your height and weight but with these, you better go longer since they have a good front and back rocker; so if you take the 187, it will ski like a much shorter ski on hardpack...

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogsie View Post
 

1. I talked to a couple of guys in the last 2 years who skied the Volkl Bridge in North East (Mainly Vermont) and they all said that it was nice even on hardpack. Hell, it is not what you could call a frontside all mountain but it still does the job nicely... I don't know your height and weight but with these, you better go longer since they have a good front and back rocker; so if you take the 187, it will ski like a much shorter ski on hardpack...

 

Yea the Bridge was great! Even though it was a lot longer a bit wider @187 and 95 vs my current Armada Pipe Cleaners @ 176 and 85 mm waist they didn't feel larger and good on turning. I also noticed that they seem to be a bit less stiff and have a good "pop" to them letting me mess around more on the trails. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Zest View Post
 

Its hard to find park skis in the length you are looking for. In your budget something like the NFX Lab, or the K2 Sight or a Line would be nice but don't come in the lengths you are asking for. The Bridge comes in a 188 I think, is a great ski and can be had last I looked for around $350-400 for last years model. The Volkl Wall is a bit thinner than the Bridge and comes in a 185 and Nordica The Ace goes up to a 184. Good luck!

 

 

Yea I can't find any 2014 Bridges at a low price so I may have to get new ones. 

 

Looking around at other skis I found this baby on sale( VOLKL WALL: 

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Volkl-Wall-185cm-with-Marker-Jester-Pro-Bindings-/301487078019

 

Really thinking of pulling the trigger on these. If the bindings don't work out for me I can always buy "park bindings" later or move my current LOOK bindings. 

 

At this point I can probably afford these now. But also not sure as I haven't ridden these and have read mixed reviews. One review claiming these are awesome park skis with pop and good on groomers, but another claiming they were a bit stiff. 

 

 

My two options at this immediate moment would be getting these now or waiting till end of the season when I have some more cash laying around and buy a brand new pair of Volkl Bridges, (or some other ski that catches my eye pricewise) I can also probably up my spending to $600-700 end of the season. 

post #12 of 13

Those don't look like that great a deal to me, IMO. First, while the bases don't look in bad shape, it certainly looks like more than 3 days of use to me, even in the park. Second, brand new Wall's retail for $550.

 

I'm not sure how many people here really are familiar with twin tips. I'd suggest making a post over at newschoolers as you will probably get a bit more feedback.

post #13 of 13
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Looking for a new all-mountain ski