or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Which skis to bring to Lake Tahoe? Prophet 90 vs Rossi S3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which skis to bring to Lake Tahoe? Prophet 90 vs Rossi S3

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Hi All! I'm traveling to Lake Tahoe tomorrow (from Vermont) for a weekend of skiing. No powder is in the forecast, but we are looking at sunny days with temps approaching 50. I'm choosing between my Line Prophet 90's and my Rossignol S3's. I love the way the S3's perform in powder and through crud, but I find the Prophet 90's to have better edge grip and more fun on groomers. Any Lake Tahoe people here who can help me make a decision given the non powder forecast? Thanks!

post #2 of 10

Bring your frontside groomer ski - we are skiing ice ...

post #3 of 10
I guess your saying that Tahoe will be in the 50's over the weekend ? Bring the fatter ski for crud busting.

How wide is the S3 ?

I'd bring my 106's and may be my 119mm. The Shiro's did great in the Spring time crud at Killington and Okemo.


I serached , •Sandwich Core: Wood / Fiberglass
•Sidecut : 128-98-118


if they are torsionally stiff, it would be a good crud buster.
Edited by Max Capacity - 1/8/15 at 10:02am
post #4 of 10

Neither; rent some performance front-side carvers in the 70-80 mm range.  It may be near 50 at Lake level but the resorts will be 35-40 for the weekend, so the snow is going to be VERY firm.

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Capacity View Post

I guess your saying that Tahoe will be in the 50's over the weekend ? Bring the fatter ski for crud busting.

How wide is the S3 ?

I'd bring my 106's and may be my 119mm. The Shiro's did great in the Spring time crud at Killington and Okemo.


I serached , •Sandwich Core: Wood / Fiberglass
•Sidecut : 128-98-118


if they are torsionally stiff, it would be a good crud buster.

Max Capacity for pain? Seriously, there is zero need for anything wider than 90 on the whole west coast at the moment and maybe the rest of the season.
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post



Max Capacity for pain? Seriously, there is zero need for anything wider than 90 on the whole west coast at the moment and maybe the rest of the season.

 



Sorry you feel that way. I had a great time on the Gotama's the weekend after Xmas at Okemo. They just ate up the sugar snow. As I've said before, had a great time on the Shiro's last Spring too.

I've learn its about the torsional stiffness and float over the heavy soft snow.
post #7 of 10

"Sugar snow"??  Hah!  We don't got no stinkin' sugar snow, and certainly not any heavy soft,  just white granite.

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Lutes View Post

"Sugar snow"??  Hah!  We don't got no stinkin' sugar snow, and certainly not any heavy soft,  just white granite.


 



White granite... wait a minute aren't you in CA not VT, we had that for a few day's before New Years, after Mother Nature fixed the sugar snow problem for us, until the snow makers had a few cold night to fix the hill.

You whiners with all the good snow out west... LOL
post #9 of 10

Fine, I give up ..... bring the S3s!  What could go wrong?  ;)

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Lutes View Post
 

Neither; rent some performance front-side carvers in the 65-70 70-80 mm range.  It may be near 50 at Lake level but the resorts will be 35-40 for the weekend, so the snow is going to be VERY firm.

 

FIFY

 

OP bring the skis that are going to give the best grip.  

 

Mornings are resembling east coast in many cases.  I'm just off to change my slalom skis to a 4 degree side from 3 for tomorrow's races after training this morning...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Which skis to bring to Lake Tahoe? Prophet 90 vs Rossi S3