or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Alba Adventures - The Gifts of Winter: Pico Trip 12/27/2014-1/2/2015
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alba Adventures - The Gifts of Winter: Pico Trip 12/27/2014-1/2/2015

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

 

 

 

 

In the "Spirit of the Season" and for the love of being in the gifts of nature, we are brought together with family and friends; both old and new.

 

This recent trip to Pico had a few surprises for us, and pleasant they all were.  

 

First we were asked by a close friend if we could take his late teen   daughter skiing over her break. Her name is Brigitte and she had only been a few times her life and according to her dad, my friend, she was cool and he trust her with us. Needless to say we were flattered and honored to take her. We noticed right away she was eager to get better and sure enough, she did and quick. 

 

Secondly, my twin brother and his kids also made the journey and we were blessed to spend time with them on the mountain, something we hope to do more often now that my twin has invested in downhill skis.  

 

Then we had surprise visitors Chris Crowley and kids whom we ski at Mad River Glen with and spend many winter and summer days with. Chis and his family have a long history at Mad River Glen and if you are up there, ask for him, he can show you around the mountain and the secret stashes. 

 

Lastly, a ski friend we made in 2011 at Sugarloaf happened to call and be in the area, he surprised us with good music, fun times and some incredible switch ski technique.  

 

We had a few days on the mountain during our kids Christmas break, and considering how much thaw there was in a week, the mountain still had plenty of snow, with many fun options to ski.  The cold weather was a bit rough for our youngest but, Nevada forged on and skied as soon as she warmed up.

 

We hope you enjoy this episode of our trip titled "The Gifts of Winter". Skiing brings families together.

post #2 of 12

You have some fine video editing skills and I bet your whole family will be making great progress on the slopes this winter. They have an image to maintain.  They are Internet superstars now! Thumbs Up

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 

James, totally flattered. Thank you, I still have so much more to learn.. Irony is that people are starting to recognize us at mountains which is sort of funny. I am not that great of skier but, can certainly get down most things. My kids however, will be amazing skiers I am sure. My wife and I just need to keep up.

post #4 of 12

Thanks for sharing--looks like a great time.  I've been wanting to get up to Pico.  

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 

ADKS! Thanks again. Pico is a great mountain. I think in many ways better and easier to navigate than Killy.  We are up there this weekend then hopefully headed for MRG or Sunapee on of the days. 

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralba View Post
 

ADKS! Thanks again. Pico is a great mountain. I think in many ways better and easier to navigate than Killy.  We are up there this weekend then hopefully headed for MRG or Sunapee on of the days. 


Where do you stay when you head up to Pico for a weekend?

 

I liked Sunapee when I stopped by in early Dec.  Not that many trails open but I got a sense of the place.  Great view of the lake.  Had a nice stay at the Sunapee Lake Lodge.

post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hey MarzNC -I still owe you an answer about White Tail. I will let you know by tomorrow. 

 

We rented a house for the season nearby in Woodstock. It was a deal we couldn't pass up which is why we are there so much. Also a season pass is a great deal at PICO and it gives you 3 days at Sunapee.  Have never skied there or if I did, it would be like 30 years ago.

 

Last year we stayed at the Econolodge down the road - it wasn't bad and it was cheap. You know family skiing is $$$$ so, we are trying to save where we can. 

post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralba View Post
 

Hey MarzNC -I still owe you an answer about White Tail. I will let you know by tomorrow. 

 

We rented a house for the season nearby in Woodstock. It was a deal we couldn't pass up which is why we are there so much. Also a season pass is a great deal at PICO and it gives you 3 days at Sunapee.  Have never skied there or if I did, it would be like 30 years ago.

 

Last year we stayed at the Econolodge down the road - it wasn't bad and it was cheap. You know family skiing is $$$$ so, we are trying to save where we can. 


My understanding is that Sunapee has had money put into the place in recent years.  The new lodge (far end of the parking lot) well laid out.  Always nice when there is a free bag check.  I didn't know before heading to NH that Sunapee and Cannon are NH state parks.

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralba View Post
 

Hey MarzNC -I still owe you an answer about White Tail. I will let you know by tomorrow. 

Do you mean Blue Knob in early Feb?

post #10 of 12

So glad I learned about Pico.  Had a grand time on Monday, March 2.  Pico is closed on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Liftopia ticket was $26.  Same price as the Over 50 price as it turns out.  It snowed on and off most of the day.  Might have added another inch or so.  Sun would come out for 15-20 min and then be gone.

 

Perhaps 3 inches overnight.  Stayed at the Hillside Inn on the road to Killington.

 

Trees off Outpost lift.  These kids know the place very well.

 

Not only soft on top in the trees, it's powder all the way down.  Took no effort to get my pole in and I hadn't touched bottom yet.

post #11 of 12

I was there Sunday and it was excellent.  There are some very nice glades there that were in good shape, although they hadn't gotten snow in a week.  Second day on my new Fischer Ranger 88s:D (at K;ton Saturday) and they are like night and day compared to my 12 + year old RX8s.

 

I'll be back up there the week after next.

post #12 of 12
Quote:
My understanding is that Sunapee has had money put into the place in recent years.  The new lodge (far end of the parking lot) well laid out.  Always nice when there is a free bag check.  I didn't know before heading to NH that Sunapee and Cannon are NH state parks.

Sunapee has been run by Okemo under contract for some years now. 15? The investment in infrastructure I assume is by the state.
The Northstar hs quad lift from Okemo went to Sunapee this year. Twas a good lift and should continue to be.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Alba Adventures - The Gifts of Winter: Pico Trip 12/27/2014-1/2/2015