or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Hot Gear bag not drying boots
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hot Gear bag not drying boots

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 

I have a Hot Gear Classic boot bag, mainly so it's easier to get my boots on in the morning. However, on multi day trips I use it to dry out the boots overnight.  Shouldn't this work?

 

While I know my boots leak, duct tape seems to keep most of the moisture out. Not so much this past week at Stowe.  Despite keeping my boots in the Hot Gear bag on High from 5pm till 9am, they were still wet inside. Warm, but wet. They ended up so saturated that it is now Sunday evening and I haven't skied since Thursday and my liners are still damp. My Hotronic Cambrelle covers also peeled away from my foot beds due to so much moisture.

 

Not sure if my boot bag just isn't getting as warm as it should or if something else is wrong.

post #2 of 23
If your boots are really wet, you need some airflow or maybe pull the liners.
post #3 of 23

Yeah, I'm thinking you need to pull the liners out.

post #4 of 23

yeah, get a portable dryer.  I have had the Hotronic Snapdry version for about 10 years.  Works very well. Moderate heat (103) dries boots much faster.  Put them on for a couple of hours and boots and shell are dry. Breaks down to very small, you could put inside the hotbag for travel.

 

then put the boots in the hotbag for early morning heatup.  I use a timer that goes on at 5am, boots are toasty and soft by 8.   

 

http://cozywinters.com/shop/hf5201sd.html?utm_source=base&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=merchantadv&zmam=61752597&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=HF5201SD&gclid=CPS3u73B-8ICFY2TfgodqCIAcg

post #5 of 23

I don't know if the company says they will dry your boots, but I wouldn't expect them to.  The heated bag doesn't circulate any air into the boots.  I have some fairly inexpensive boot/glove dryers that work great and I can even plug them into the inverter outlet in my car for use on the road if needed.

post #6 of 23
My hot gear bag has never failed to dry my boots, but I have had still-damp gloves in the morning... So if your liners are really soaked, they may not dry. As suggested above, try pulling out the liners and towel dry the shell.
post #7 of 23

This bag is not designed to dry boots. Rather to make boots warm if left in the car, or if you are swapping boots midday.  I would look at some dryguy products for drying boots, they have it all. 

 

Car lighter adapter dryers;

 

http://www.skiessentials.com/accessories/boot-dryers/dryguy-ac-dc-boot-warmer-and-dryer.html

 

electric heat with airflow;

 

http://www.skiessentials.com/accessories/boot-dryers/dryguy-circulator-boot-and-shoe-dryer.html

 

big kahuna;

 

http://www.skiessentials.com/accessories/boot-dryers/dryguy-thermanator-boot-shoe-and-glove-dryer.html

post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiessentials View Post
 

This bag is not designed to dry boots. Rather to make boots warm if left in the car, or if you are swapping boots midday.  I would look at some dryguy products for drying boots, they have it all. 

 

Car lighter adapter dryers;

 

http://www.skiessentials.com/accessories/boot-dryers/dryguy-ac-dc-boot-warmer-and-dryer.html

 

electric heat with airflow;

 

http://www.skiessentials.com/accessories/boot-dryers/dryguy-circulator-boot-and-shoe-dryer.html

 

big kahuna;

 

http://www.skiessentials.com/accessories/boot-dryers/dryguy-thermanator-boot-shoe-and-glove-dryer.html


It may not be "designed to dry boots" but they do advertise that it does. Direct from their site:

 

How does it work?

Boot shells are heated inside the insulated Heated SKI Gear Bags System. Heat transfers into the liners and evaporates all the moisture from both the shells and the liners through a passive venting system. This proprietary and patent pending technology eliminates moisture build up between the shells and liners.

 

 

I didn't buy the bag to dry my boots, I bought it because I can't get the boots on without them being warm.  However, until this past week, the bag also managed to dry my boots by morning.  I think I somehow just got my boots really saturated this past week.

post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post
 


It may not be "designed to dry boots" but they do advertise that it does. Direct from their site:

 

How does it work?

Boot shells are heated inside the insulated Heated SKI Gear Bags System. Heat transfers into the liners and evaporates all the moisture from both the shells and the liners through a passive venting system. This proprietary and patent pending technology eliminates moisture build up between the shells and liners.

 

 

I didn't buy the bag to dry my boots, I bought it because I can't get the boots on without them being warm.  However, until this past week, the bag also managed to dry my boots by morning.  I think I somehow just got my boots really saturated this past week.


Well if you didn't have such SCHWETTY feet! :rotflmao: I suppose if you come off the hill and notice your boots/liners are particularly wet you could pull the liners out for that night and put them in the bag.

post #10 of 23

The heated boot bag is meant to heat your boots and not dry them. Pull the liners out and dry them with a portable drying unit.

post #11 of 23

for travel, This one is still the best.  i use the Dryguy DG1 at home. its a great unit. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
 

yeah, get a portable dryer.  I have had the Hotronic Snapdry version for about 10 years.  Works very well. Moderate heat (103) dries boots much faster.  Put them on for a couple of hours and boots and shell are dry. Breaks down to very small, you could put inside the hotbag for travel.

 

then put the boots in the hotbag for early morning heatup.  I use a timer that goes on at 5am, boots are toasty and soft by 8.   

 

http://cozywinters.com/shop/hf5201sd.html?utm_source=base&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=merchantadv&zmam=61752597&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=HF5201SD&gclid=CPS3u73B-8ICFY2TfgodqCIAcg

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiessentials View Post
 

This bag is not designed to dry boots. Rather to make boots warm if left in the car, or if you are swapping boots midday.  I would look at some dryguy products for drying boots, they have it all. 

 

Car lighter adapter dryers;

 

http://www.skiessentials.com/accessories/boot-dryers/dryguy-ac-dc-boot-warmer-and-dryer.html

 

electric heat with airflow;

 

http://www.skiessentials.com/accessories/boot-dryers/dryguy-circulator-boot-and-shoe-dryer.html

 

big kahuna;

 

http://www.skiessentials.com/accessories/boot-dryers/dryguy-thermanator-boot-shoe-and-glove-dryer.html

post #12 of 23

I use the Dry Guy DG1 no matter what !!!

 

Then pop em in the hot gear and set em to warm

 

This works for me and gets em nice and dry

post #13 of 23

Will just echo mtcyclist that you don't need to specifically buy a car adapter model device.

 

Instead buy an inverter, even a $15 one (and an extension cord if you need it), and then you can use any device you want if you're on the go

post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 

Not really sure why I would ever need to dry my boots in my car. I do usually keep them warm in the Hotgear bag on the way to the mountain, but they should be dry before that (I would hope).

post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post

I have a Hot Gear Classic boot bag, mainly so it's easier to get my boots on in the morning. However, on multi day trips I use it to dry out the boots overnight.  Shouldn't this work?

While I know my boots leak, duct tape seems to keep most of the moisture out. Not so much this past week at Stowe.  Despite keeping my boots in the Hot Gear bag on High from 5pm till 9am, they were still wet inside. Warm, but wet. They ended up so saturated that it is now Sunday evening and I haven't skied since Thursday and my liners are still damp. My Hotronic Cambrelle covers also peeled away from my foot beds due to so much moisture.

Not sure if my boot bag just isn't getting as warm as it should or if something else is wrong.
I hope the problem is that the bag can't keep up with moisture building up over multiple days with some moisture making it in past the duct tape and normal perspiration. I bought my Hot Gear bag just because I got it on an insane deal even though I had no problem pulling the liners from my old boots. Fortunately I held onto it, because it's virtually required to get my new boots on without spraining an ankle. However, no matter how sweaty my boots get, the Hot Gear bag always gets the job done--on low, no less.

One thought: make sure the cuffs are empty and aren't covered with gear and that the round vents above the boot cuffs aren't obstructed. The heating element is under the boot soles and heats the bottom of the boot and liner, evaporating the moisture and allowing it to vent upward. All my extra clothing gets stuffed into the boot bag on the way back from skiing, but aside from leaving my gloves and socks to dry in the mesh pocket above the front of the boots and sometimes leaving some long underwear behind the boots so I don't forget it the next ski day, I make sure there's space above the boots and bag for air flow.

Another thought: the bag's directions say the highest setting will remold your liners. eek.gif Just sayin'.

Yet another thought: the liners stay a lot dryer in sloppy snow if I wear my DryGuy BootGloves. Many consider them to be extremely uncool, so you'll have to weigh the geek factor against any desire for street cred.

ETA: AAAND another thought: the bag only runs on "low" when you use the lighter adapter, so depending on the length of your ski commute, the bag might not get the boots warm enough for comfort if you plug it in just before leaving home.
post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by litterbug View Post



Yet another thought: the liners stay a lot dryer in sloppy snow if I wear my DryGuy BootGloves. Many consider them to be extremely uncool, so you'll have to weigh the geek factor against any desire for street cred.
 

I'm definitely too cool for boot gloves. Besides my really cool Hotronics keep my wet feet toasty warm.:cool

post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by litterbug View Post

Yet another thought: the liners stay a lot dryer in sloppy snow if I wear my DryGuy BootGloves. Many consider them to be extremely uncool, so you'll have to weigh the geek factor against any desire for street cred.

 
I'm definitely too cool for boot gloves. Besides my really cool Hotronics keep my wet feet toasty warm.cool.gif
I started wearing them to keep the wind and wet out (Langes Leak!), but I just got Sidas boot warmers a few weeks ago, and with boot gloves my feet were luxuriously warm yesterday! To tell you the truth it felt kind of immoral...

OTOH, I have never once in my life been the least bit cool. rolleyes.gif
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
 

yeah, get a portable dryer.  I have had the Hotronic Snapdry version for about 10 years.  Works very well. Moderate heat (103) dries boots much faster.  Put them on for a couple of hours and boots and shell are dry. Breaks down to very small, you could put inside the hotbag for travel.

 

then put the boots in the hotbag for early morning heatup.  I use a timer that goes on at 5am, boots are toasty and soft by 8.  

 

http://cozywinters.com/shop/hf5201sd.html?utm_source=base&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=merchantadv&zmam=61752597&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=HF5201SD&gclid=CPS3u73B-8ICFY2TfgodqCIAcg

 

Another vote here for a boot dryer that actually blows air down into the boot.  I've had a Therm-ic boot dryer for several years now, and it works great.  See this link:

 

http://www.thefind.com/search?query=therm-ic+boot+dryer

 

At the end of a day of skiing, I pull my liners out of my boots, and the footbeds out of my liners.  Then I put the Therm-ic in the liners for a few hours.  Next morning, I put everything back together.  When I travel, I take the Therm-ic with me and find a place for it inside my boot bag.

 

The Therm-ic uses so little power (about 50W max) that I've actually been able to run it off of one of those 12V DC to 120V AC adapters that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket inside my SUV.

post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post
 

Not really sure why I would ever need to dry my boots in my car.

Life may be treating you well for now, but you could some day find yourself living in your car.:D (I use to sleep in my car on ski weekends, a long time ago. I didn't bother drying my boots though)

post #20 of 23

Never used a fan-driven driers, but don't they make noise (a problem if you're in a hotel room)?   I use drying sticks (Cozy-Toes, not sold anymore, but there's probably something out there to replace them).  Just stick them in the boots (never had to pull the liner), and they're dry and toasty the next morning.   They work by convection.

 

Here's a similar product, not made any more:  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000TSIL4/navigsyste-20

And one currently available:  https://dryguy.com/product/Travel_Dry

post #21 of 23

No, modern fan driven driers can be very quiet. And yep, they do the best job of actually doing your gear (boots, gloves etc) out overnight.

post #22 of 23

The Snap-dry and Thermic fan type dryers are the two most popular units on the market. 

 

The snapdry is a bit louder than the thermic. I'll run the thermic in my hotel room. The snapdry - someone else's. :D

 

Get the thermic unit with the timer. For 6 hour drying cycles they will last about 300 days.

Backcountry usually have them for 1/2 price in the summer.   

post #23 of 23

Any fan blowing directly into the boot cuffs will dry the boots out overnight, even without any heat added.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Hot Gear bag not drying boots