or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The God of Skiing

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Full disclosure, Peter Kray is something more than an acquaintance to me, but read this like you'd read any ski porn review.

Kray's recently published novel, The God of Skiing, is pretty much blowing me away. Though I usually feel that, other than photography, skiing hasn't been at the core of much serious art, TGoS is an inspiring and evocative read. It weaves together history, romance, and passion for skiing in a captivating (to me, at least) way.

If you haven't heard about it yet, you're likely to start coming across references soon. I'd say that The God of Skiing is the best ski literature since Cross-Country Snow and Alpine Idyll by Hemingway. Check it out, see what you think: http://www.mirabooksmart.com/The-God-of-Skiing_p_584.html

/spray

Edited because I can't rite very gud.
Edited by Bob Lee - 1/4/15 at 8:36am
post #2 of 9
Not on Amazon? Sounded perfect to spend my Amazon bucks on..
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Amazon: Guess not. I've been hearing that some authors have issues with them.
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post

Amazon: Guess not. I've been hearing that some authors have issues with them.

 

Not the ones who actually want their writing read... ;)

 

Or the ones who really, really understand the underlying forces at work. But that steps into P&HT...

 

Seriously Bob, if your friend wants to get out there, Amazon is the road. Plus something is odd - Amazon does not even appear to have the ISBN in the database. Nor, it seems, does anyplace else besides that single site. So even if your friend has an issue with Amazon, getting the books info out there in general would not hurt.

post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Whoa, slow down there, spindrift. I never said my friend had any issues with Amazon. And if you'll Google his name, you'll see that he knows a f--k of a lot more about publishing (and the ski industry) that I would imagine that you do. The guy is a prolific, and widely recognized ski journalist. I would be thoroughly embarrassed to say anything to him about how he oughta be doing it.

Now, can we get back to the original intent about the quality of literature?

Edit to add, looks like at least one of his other books is on Amazon. Maybe you should write him with your advice, he's easily contactable. rolleyes.gif
post #6 of 9

It was not my intent to be critical. I apologize for my framing. No intent to criticize your friend.

 

That said, I genuinely did look for that title and the ISBN and could not find it, or info on it, anywhere other than the one site you linked (you can search by ISBN as well as text at AMZN).  If nothing else, being in the databases people frequent would not be a bad thing.

 

My broader comments were just that - more about the industry at large and the dynamics of that. Again, apologies for the distraction.

post #7 of 9
Is it a story about Fritz Stamberger, cause that's his photo on the cover?
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

Is it a story about Fritz Stamberger, cause that's his photo on the cover?

No. He's mentioned in the story, but so are many other important and notable figures from the racing, ski mountaineering, resort-building, 10th Mountain, and dirtbag circles of the U.S., Europe, and South America. It's kind of amazing. The story is told first-person but is threaded together (so far, I'm about halfway through) by a narrative about a guy named Tack Strau.

Like I said, history, romance and passion for skiing. I'm finding it fascinating and rewarding as hell.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
 

 

Not the ones who actually want their writing read... ;)

 

Or the ones who really, really understand the underlying forces at work. But that steps into P&HT...

 

Seriously Bob, if your friend wants to get out there, Amazon is the road. Plus something is odd - Amazon does not even appear to have the ISBN in the database. Nor, it seems, does anyplace else besides that single site. So even if your friend has an issue with Amazon, getting the books info out there in general would not hurt.


I hear you may be a bit biased on the topic.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion