or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Quick help: snowbasin or pow mow?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quick help: snowbasin or pow mow?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
i need some quick info/help: I'm in SLC and want to ski Ogden area tomorrow. Snowbasin or Powder? I know the reputations and I've skied Snowbasin and liked it. I thought I might try Powder, but I'm looking for conditions report. My wife will mostly stick to groomers; does Pow groom? which will offer best one day experience tomorrow (Sunday)? I need info/ideas about best conditions/fewest people from any locals or current skiers.
THANK YOU!
post #2 of 10
As for a snow report you have to check that every day. Snowbasin is much steeper than Powder Mountain. Powder Mountain is not very steep and your wife may be able to ski off trail there.
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tch View Post

i need some quick info/help: I'm in SLC and want to ski Ogden area tomorrow. Snowbasin or Powder? I know the reputations and I've skied Snowbasin and liked it. I thought I might try Powder, but I'm looking for conditions report. My wife will mostly stick to groomers; does Pow groom? which will offer best one day experience tomorrow (Sunday)? I need info/ideas about best conditions/fewest people from any locals or current skiers.
THANK YOU!


Yes, there are groomers at PowMow.  Paging @mikebike for advice.  His wife sticks to groomers as I remember.

 

Snowbasin on a Sunday would be fine.  If your wife hasn't been there before, take her to Snowbasin.  Have lunch at one of the on-mountain lodges, assuming good visibility.  Much nicer than having lunch in the PowMow lodge.  If she doesn't usually ski a full day, hanging out at a Snowbasin lodge is like hanging out at a country club not a local bar.

post #4 of 10

If you want to have runs to yourself, and long easy blue cruisers where you can pop into the trees if you want, go to PowMow. Either mountain is going to be groomer skiing mostly right now, but I was at PowMow on Thursday and there was still powder to be had but you had to know where to go. PowMow is a lot less steep than Basin and I think the snow quality is better (at least right now) because PowMow is all natural snow. I just skied Basin today and you WILL hit some big sheered off icy patches on the steeper groomers. That being said, the snow is in great condition as it's been so cold.

 

If either of you is about froo froo stuff, then PowMow is not for you. (I LOVE it there--laid back and old-school.) Basin's lodges are something to be seen for sure.

 

You can't go wrong either way. It really depends on if she likes steep groomers or more mellow. There's not a groomed run at Powmow that I can't ski easily. Basin, there are several that make me pucker a bit. 

 

There will be far fewer people at PM. I personally think it's a mountain that should not be missed if you have the chance.

 

ETA if you guys decide on Basin, message me. I believe my husband and I will be up there tomorrow. (Along with a gaggle of our friends, I think.)

post #5 of 10

As a season pass holder at Pow Mow... given your description you would probably find Snowbasin more to your liking.   The mystique of Powder is skiing the trees..... 

For groomers,,,,,, food,,,,,, surroundings.... Snowbasin is your choice.   

post #6 of 10
Would get there early (SB) - we were there Fri and it was pretty crowded parking wise. Mountain skied well. Nice snow under strawberry gondi up high I and mt Allen bucket. Looked very crowded but skied or walked on to anything but Needles
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by givethepigeye View Post

Would get there early (SB) - we were there Fri and it was pretty crowded parking wise. Mountain skied well. Nice snow under strawberry gondi up high I and mt Allen bucket. Looked very crowded but skied or walked on to anything but Needles


Wouldn't most travelers be leaving on 1/4?  At least those with kids who go back to school Monday.

 

Typically Snowbasin is not that busy on Sundays, especially in the mornings.  Of course, always better parking when you get there early.

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post


Wouldn't most travelers be leaving on 1/4?  At least those with kids who go back to school Monday.

Typically Snowbasin is not that busy on Sundays, especially in the mornings.  Of course, always better parking when you get there early.

I have skied there on Presidents' Day weekend and seen half the crowd as I did on Friday for some reason. Wasn't a big deal other than parking was In the overflow to the overflow lot, the off piste wasn't crowded and skied on to every lift and walked on to Strawberry every lap. Needles was a different matter and never touched it, rode JP.

Alta wasn't crowded today at all.
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by givethepigeye View Post


I have skied there on Presidents' Day weekend and seen half the crowd as I did on Friday for some reason. Wasn't a big deal other than parking was In the overflow to the overflow lot, the off piste wasn't crowded and skied on to every lift and walked on to Strawberry every lap. Needles was a different matter and never touched it, rode JP.

Alta wasn't crowded today at all.

 

Was at dinner last night with a friend who works there and she said it was their busiest day on record.

post #10 of 10
^ I believe it:)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Quick help: snowbasin or pow mow?