Glad to hear you're cleared. Like to meet up sometime.
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemSaddlebacktagged by qcanoe, 3/23/15
Related Forum Threads
- Saddleback 2015-16 Season in Jeopardy Last post on 8/18/16 at 7:03am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Spring At Last at Saddleback Last post on 4/19/15 at 6:49pm in Trip Reports
- Getting serious about glades (todo list) Last post on 2/18/15 at 1:15pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Best option for late march / early april on the East? Last post on 2/8/15 at 11:47am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Best New England Resort for Learning Glades Last post on 11/30/14 at 11:28am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
Saddleback, Maine: An Unofficial Guide
Last edited: 10/1/14
- Great Glades Almighty!Last edited: 5/28/13
- Skiing Maine on a BudgetLast edited: 5/28/13
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
New England weather -- how do I love thee? Let me count the ways - Page 7post #181 of 3482/14/15 at 6:49am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #182 of 3482/14/15 at 9:06ampost #183 of 3482/14/15 at 3:59pmpost #184 of 3482/14/15 at 5:09pmToday was excellent in so vt. Got up to balmy temp in the afternoon of like 23.
Crowded but real good skiing. General dread for tmrw. Top of mt forecast 13 deg and 40-50 mph gusts.
Edited by Tog - 2/14/15 at 6:13pmpost #185 of 3482/14/15 at 7:59pmSo far a non starter where I am. Latest nws emissions suggest the really heavy snow is going to stay offshore. They goofed a little, in other words, with the whole 18 - 24" bit. But the wind is coming.post #186 of 3482/14/15 at 8:11pm
My mountain's forecast for Sun and Mon; the wind will be blowing. This instructor is not happy. Since this is President's Weekend, there could be lots of newbies showing up for a good time, innocent and in vacation mode, but seriously underdressed. They are likely to be part of the 85% who don't return after their first try at skiing, because much of their experience will be fighting frostbite. I'm packing my pockets with neck gaiters and extra hand and toe warmers. I'm trying to find a way to look forward to those lessons. Not finding much in the way of help, except perhaps knowing NOAA can be wrong. There were women in yoga pants out today taking beginner lessons. It felt like this forecast.post #187 of 3482/15/15 at 9:12ampost #188 of 3482/15/15 at 9:15ampost #189 of 3482/15/15 at 11:01ampost #190 of 3482/15/15 at 3:16pmThe expected dump did not appear up here at sugarloaf, either. Started snowing and blowing noon Saturday and maybe a couple inches overnight. Very strange. Im hearing Portland north got nothing, but York county and down east got dumped on.post #191 of 3482/15/15 at 3:44pmQuote:
Nice wind today...We were over at Jackson Gore skiing rolling thunder and big bang around the 10AM hour. You could feel the wind increase each lift ride, I'm sure the wind was 35-40mph, the temp in town at 6:50AM was -2F.
I got some deep powder on the Top of Nor'Easter on my second run, where the trees block the wind there was a good 12-15" if not more. The tree's, Whispering Pines was real nice, not much wind nice dry snow. On Big Bang I started a small snow slide on the steep pitch.
Glad the bubble chair was running, the heated seats helped.post #192 of 3482/15/15 at 3:50pm
Cannon was cold today, with deep snow. On the summit groomers it was wind-blown, but below that it was divine. Except for the inhuman cold temps.
I'm tired of these temps, and tired of warning beginner skiers about the white patches of skin on their faces.
Edited by LiquidFeet - 2/15/15 at 4:48pmpost #193 of 3482/15/15 at 5:22pmWell in Colo it's near 50 degrees in ski country and i rode the lift with a woman who was in Jackson last week and it was 50 degrees.
So if we could just average these temps we'd both be in good shape. Wind did scouring damage today in a lot of places exposing glare ice. Temps without tbe wind wouldn't be so bad.post #194 of 3482/15/15 at 5:33pmpost #195 of 3482/15/15 at 5:55pmpost #196 of 3482/15/15 at 5:57pmpost #197 of 3482/15/15 at 7:30pm
Today's NWS Cottonwood Canyon forecast synopsis: "Another moisture starved system will cross the area late tonight through Monday, bringing cooler temperatures and an increase in winds, but little if any measurable snowfall."post #198 of 3482/15/15 at 8:16pm
Good thing it snows at 50 degrees.
You guys need more pics on this thread. The drive this evening.
(This is for @lakespapa and his WP trip. Probably a foot where it matters in the morning. )post #199 of 3482/16/15 at 3:47ampost #200 of 3482/16/15 at 3:58am
NOAA forecast for my mountain today. Snow's good though! And the sun will shine. Normally this is a very busy day for the mountain.
But maybe no one will show up for a lesson this morning because of the cold, in which case I'll be able to leave early to go shovel snow back home in MA.
I'm still smarting from the cold over the last three days, even at the bottom of the mountain on beginner terrain.
We got another foot down in MA over this weekend. My love for NE weather is ... diminishing.post #201 of 3482/16/15 at 4:17am
C'mon Liquidfeet, embrace the weather. It just requires an extra layer or two or ten. I wish the winds up our way were only 20. Looking out the window, 20 is the lull. I amy be earning my turns today and slapping on the tele gear to get in some runs. Or maybe just hike over to the mini trauma park and hit the small jumps :)post #202 of 3482/16/15 at 4:43amSkied the afternoon yesterday at Mt. Abram. Plenty of dry chop over a great base - even on the ledgy lower pitches on Rocky's and Zephyr. The wind was blowing new snow into the troughs in places. Place was empty. Feels good to be back! Photo courtesy of @Sweetskipost #203 of 3482/16/15 at 5:05amQuote:Originally Posted by qcanoe
Skied the afternoon yesterday at Mt. Abram. Plenty of dry chop over a great base - even on the ledgy lower pitches on Rocky's and Zephyr. The wind was blowing new snow into the troughs in places. Place was empty. Feels good to be back! Photo courtesy of @Sweetski
Welcome back q.! You were just putting it off for the good snow.
(Did you get my PM?)post #204 of 3482/16/15 at 7:10am
NWS forecast for Cannon today is for a high of -6 and winds gusting up to 70 mph. Wind chills as low as -53. Guess I won't be skiing today. We went out xc skiing on the trails near the house yesterday. Nice skiing on about 4 inches of new snow. The trees were moving and creaking. The coyote came around to the bird feeder this morning wearing his fur coat.post #205 of 3482/16/15 at 7:30amThread Starter
I didn't ski yesterday (Sunday...) for the first Sunday since, well, quite a while now. Felt weird to not be on skis. I think my area of Massachusetts got about a foot of snow from this latest storm, but with the wind drifting things like crazy, it's hard to say how much we really got.
The wind was howling all day. Digging out required some serious bundling up. Roads are back to being reasonably clear here this morning.post #206 of 3482/16/15 at 7:32amThread Starter
With the wind yesterday... I saw Stowe had said that their "Over Easy" gondola (the one connecting the Mansfield and Spruce bases) was on wind-hold but all the other lifts were running. Seems kind of strange that the lowest lift would go on wind hold, but I guess it's a wind-direction kind of thing.post #207 of 3482/16/15 at 9:25amI'm at Sunday river today. everything is on wind hold except the magic carpet and one lift that only serves the lower mountain greens.
I'm trying to make the best of it by working on one ski skiing.post #208 of 3482/16/15 at 9:30amThread Starterpost #209 of 3482/16/15 at 9:46am
This thread is locked
- New England weather -- how do I love thee? Let me count the ways
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Great Glades Almighty!
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 31 minutes ago
- › Recommendation allmountain skis 1 hour, 52 minutes ago
- › Boot fitting question as I think I've outgrown mine? 1 hour, 57 minutes ago
- › how to adjust Marker Titanium SC bindings? 3 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › Another What ski/size question, with a twist... 3 hours, 20 minutes ago
- › Boutique Vs Big Brands: Which do you prefer? 3 hours, 52 minutes ago
- › Head Freeflex Pro 11 Binding Mounting to Head I.SL RD Team SL Skis 3 hours, 58 minutes ago
- › The MAX Pass 2016-17 for 39 areas: Killington, Tremblant, Big Sky,... 4 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › Vail to buy Whistler/Blackcomb 5 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 5 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer
- › 68 Days: A Story of Skiing's Life...