or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oakley Prizm lenses

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

The new Oakley Prizm lenses are supposed to give a better contrast than the previous Oakley goggle lenses.

I'm interested in the Prizm rose lens for low light conditions. (It's for my Airbreak snow goggle.) However, I also read messages from people that still prefer the persimmon or yellow lenses for low light conditions.

So I was wondering: does the Prizm rose really improve contrast? And is it an improvement over the persimmon or yellow lenses for low light conditions?

Thanks!
 

post #2 of 12
Any pics?
post #3 of 12
I bought the goggles for the quick change lens. I am older and I saw so many great posts about the hi yellow lens for areas for low light. I tried all three prism lens is going inside and outside settled on the black pair brought them back and went to the chrome looking pair and skied with them yesterday. I really like the extra accent they gave to all the snow I could see much better and they work perfectly.
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by evert67 View Post
 

The new Oakley Prizm lenses are supposed to give a better contrast than the previous Oakley goggle lenses.

I'm interested in the Prizm rose lens for low light conditions. (It's for my Airbreak snow goggle.) However, I also read messages from people that still prefer the persimmon or yellow lenses for low light conditions.

So I was wondering: does the Prizm rose really improve contrast? And is it an improvement over the persimmon or yellow lenses for low light conditions?

Thanks!
 


I have Hi Yellow and Hi Persommon and will probably never use either one again. Even the darkest Prizm seems to be better in low light.

post #5 of 12

I prefer the Prizm rose over the HI Yellow in low light. I think it has better contrast.

post #6 of 12
I bought the high yellow for flat light I don't know if that's the same as low light or not
post #7 of 12

well i am 8 days into skiing with my air breaks and a prizm lens - 

 

emerald lens

Rose prism

Hi yellow

 

so far this is how i am using mine...

 

emerald for those bluebird times

rose for any cloud rolling in to even full cloudy day

Hi yellow as soon as the light gets totally flat or snowing

 

well we had a day in full heavy wind blowing snow on the Sunday skiing in thigh deep powder and i started off in the Rose lens but quickly changed back to the hi yellow and i thought it was far better... the low light transmission into the rose and the conditions just don't work for me... the yellow seems to make everything better... keep in mid i was in Val Thorens, France and there are no trees there to help as its so high... 

 

i used the rose all the bluebird days fro the first hour or so until the sun came up above the mountain or from about 2 onwards when the sun went bellow the mountain and the lens was perfect... it will be my middling lens... one thing it was perfect for was when it went from sunny to out of the sun and it certainly is right that your eyes don't really need to adjust... the red tint is nice and good as i say for most conditions...

 

i am not enamoured and was hoping i could go to 2 lenses but so far i can't... off to Verbier in 5 weeks and will hopefully ski in Scotland before then and will see how the lenses go... so far disappointed in the rose lens... 

post #8 of 12

Interesting that Toe prefers the Prizm Rose in low/flat light vs. the HI yellow, where scotty prefers the yellow.

 

I haven't been in flat light yet, but I did ski Hood Saturday morning in full bluebird conditions. I had Flight Decks with the Prizm Black Iridium and my buddy had them with the Prizm Rose. The Black lenses were nice at cutting down on the light and still highlighting the snow features, but I was actually more impressed by how well the Rose did in full bluebird conditions. (We switched for a bit a late morning.) To be honest, the Rose was just fine in bright light. Yes, everything was brighter, but it wasn't uncomfortable by any means. The black looks cool with the mirror, but I'm kind of questioning the need for it at this point. 

post #9 of 12

I would still be happy with the HI yellows. It's a close call. I like that the Prizm rose lenses have a broader comfort range.

post #10 of 12
I agree with toe cutter, it's a matter of what mood your in. I like the mood of the rose over the yellow for night skiing. Just gose a lot nicer when listing to the MoodyBlues riding lifts.
Am I mistaken or are all the prizm lenses the same color but with just different color faces?
(All being rose when looking through)
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrundy View Post

Am I mistaken or are all the prizm lenses the same color but with just different color faces?
(All being rose when looking through)

 

Yeah, they are all the rose base tint. Just less light transmission and the mirror coatings on the jade and black.

post #12 of 12
I do not appreciate all your posts so I had to go out and buy another rose prism lens

please send some donations to my IP address
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post

Interesting that Toe prefers the Prizm Rose in low/flat light vs. the HI yellow, where scotty prefers the yellow.

I haven't been in flat light yet, but I did ski Hood Saturday morning in full bluebird conditions. I had Flight Decks with the Prizm Black Iridium and my buddy had them with the Prizm Rose. The Black lenses were nice at cutting down on the light and still highlighting the snow features, but I was actually more impressed by how well the Rose did in full bluebird conditions. (We switched for a bit a late morning.) To be honest, the Rose was just fine in bright light. Yes, everything was brighter, but it wasn't uncomfortable by any means. The black looks cool with the mirror, but I'm kind of questioning the need for it at this point. 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion