or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Need advice on new skis [17yo in Mid-Atlantic]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need advice on new skis [17yo in Mid-Atlantic]

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I am 17 years old, and used to ski a really lot in elementary and middle school, but have gone less recently. Since I haven't gone as much, I'd classify myself between beginner and intermediate, but I used to do black diamonds just fine. I mostly ski in VA/PA areas, but occasionally will travel up to Vermont. The majority of it is on groomed hills, maybe occasional moguls, but I don't do much backcountry skiing. I skied 6 days this year, but I really want to get back into it so that number will go up.

 

 

 

I am 5'11" 140 lbs, and completely open to buying lightly used. Given my age, I'm looking for a budget setup.

post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan189 View Post
 

I am 17 years old, and used to ski a really lot in elementary and middle school, but have gone less recently. Since I haven't gone as much, I'd classify myself between beginner and intermediate, but I used to do black diamonds just fine. I mostly ski in VA/PA areas, but occasionally will travel up to Vermont. The majority of it is on groomed hills, maybe occasional moguls, but I don't do much backcountry skiing. I skied 6 days this year, but I really want to get back into it so that number will go up.

 

 

 

I am 5'11" 140 lbs, and completely open to buying lightly used. Given my age, I'm looking for a budget setup.


Welcome to EpicSki!  Where have you skied in VA?  My home mountain is Massanutten, but I sometimes ski at Wintergreen mid-week.

 

When you say "6 days this year" do you mean Jan-Apr 2014 or Nov-Dec 2014?  Where did you ski?  The reason I ask is that knowing what type of snow conditions you are likely to ski on makes a difference in what would be suggested.

 

I suggest you read some of the Articles in First Run, if you haven't already. (Click on Articles in the menu bar or the link below.)

http://www.epicski.com/atype/9/First_Run

 

Unfortunately the time to buy gear on a budget is before the ski season starts.  Meaning October-November when there are ski swaps in Mid-Atlantic (VA, PA, DC/Baltimore metro).  What kind of budget are you thinking?

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 

1I'ved skied 4 days this december and doing 2 more tomorrow, so I just counted those in advance. I've skied at Wintergreen in the past, however this year it has been at Whitetail and Liberty, haven't done any in VA yet. I'm willing to wait until next year to buy equipment if it is a large price difference too. Not too sure on budget since I've never bought skis on my own. Thanks

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan189 View Post
 

1I'ved skied 4 days this december and doing 2 more tomorrow, so I just counted those in advance. I've skied at Wintergreen in the past, however this year it has been at Whitetail and Liberty, haven't done any in VA yet. I'm willing to wait until next year to buy equipment if it is a large price difference too. Not too sure on budget since I've never bought skis on my own. Thanks


Let's see if @TheRusty will pop in and give you a little advice.  He is an instructor at Whitetail.  I assume you have the Snowtime pass.  Have you ever been to Roundtop?  I've heard from my friends who live in DC that Roundtop tends to be less busy on weekends than the other two.  It's a well thought out little mountain.

 

If you read other threads asking for advice about buying the first pair of skis, you'll notice that what's more important is spending the time and money to get boots that fit from a good boot fitter.  There are a few in the northern VA and DC area.  Are you closer to Charlottesville or DC?

 

If you are free the weekend of Jan. 10-11, Freestyle of Charlottesville is having a free demo tent at Massanutten, 9:00am-3:00pm.  Taking a few runs on different models of skis is the best way to find out what works better for you.  As you probably noticed, there are hundreds of choices even for intermediate skiers.  That's because relatively small differences in design and construction make a difference.  What's good for someone who is a lightweight is probably not good for someone the same height but stronger and 20% heavier.  What's good for someone who likes to go fast may not be good for someone who is more cautious.

post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


Let's see if @TheRusty will pop in and give you a little advice.  He is an instructor at Whitetail.  I assume you have the Snowtime pass.  Have you ever been to Roundtop?  I've heard from my friends who live in DC that Roundtop tends to be less busy on weekends than the other two.  It's a well thought out little mountain.

 

If you read other threads asking for advice about buying the first pair of skis, you'll notice that what's more important is spending the time and money to get boots that fit from a good boot fitter.  There are a few in the northern VA and DC area.  Are you closer to Charlottesville or DC?

 

If you are free the weekend of Jan. 10-11, Freestyle of Charlottesville is having a free demo tent at Massanutten, 9:00am-3:00pm.  Taking a few runs on different models of skis is the best way to find out what works better for you.  As you probably noticed, there are hundreds of choices even for intermediate skiers.  That's because relatively small differences in design and construction make a difference.  What's good for someone who is a lightweight is probably not good for someone the same height but stronger and 20% heavier.  What's good for someone who likes to go fast may not be good for someone who is more cautious.

Yeah I'll definitely start with boots. Would I be able to buy my own boots and use them with rental skis until I get more money? Unfortunately I have wrestling that weekend but I'll look into Roundtop. I'm in NoVA, closer to DC

post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan189 View Post
 
Yeah I'll definitely start with boots. Would I be able to buy my own boots and use them with rental skis until I get more money? Unfortunately I have wrestling that weekend but I'll look into Roundtop. I'm in NoVA, closer to DC

Yes, you can have your own boots and rent skis.  Also possible to get a season lease for skis & poles if you are going to ski enough to make it worthwhile.  Usually that means skiing 7+ days.

 

Gotta run but I'll look for the recommended boot fitters in DC tonight.  You are going to want "new old stock" to keep the price reasonable.  A very worthwhile investment.

post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

Yes, you can have your own boots and rent skis.  Also possible to get a season lease for skis & poles if you are going to ski enough to make it worthwhile.  Usually that means skiing 7+ days.

 

Gotta run but I'll look for the recommended boot fitters in DC tonight.  You are going to want "new old stock" to keep the price reasonable.  A very worthwhile investment.

Sweet, thanks for all the help

post #8 of 10

From this thread about boot fitters in DC, the best one seems to be Brian Eardley at Ski Center.  Pretty sure that's who my friend works with for herself and her daughter.  She lives in northern VA.  We meet up at Massanutten when I'm up there on weekends.

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/92744/boot-fitters-in-dc-area

 

For a boot fitting, always better to call first and make an appointment.  You want to work with the recommended boot fitter, not just anyone in the ski shop.  Explain your situation in terms of budget and how much you hope to ski in the next few years.  The cost may be higher than you like, but there is no comparison between rental boots and a pair that fit your feet like a glove in terms of comfort and control.

 

Read through this thread about getting gear.  Covers a variety of topics about buying boots and skis.  The OP lives in Virginia, but not that close to DC.

http://www.epicski.com/t/124535/beginner-skis-after-a-long-time-off

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

From this thread about boot fitters in DC, the best one seems to be Brian Eardley at Ski Center.  Pretty sure that's who my friend works with for herself and her daughter.  She lives in northern VA.  We meet up at Massanutten when I'm up there on weekends.

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/92744/boot-fitters-in-dc-area

 

For a boot fitting, always better to call first and make an appointment.  You want to work with the recommended boot fitter, not just anyone in the ski shop.  Explain your situation in terms of budget and how much you hope to ski in the next few years.  The cost may be higher than you like, but there is no comparison between rental boots and a pair that fit your feet like a glove in terms of comfort and control.

 

Read through this thread about getting gear.  Covers a variety of topics about buying boots and skis.  The OP lives in Virginia, but not that close to DC.

http://www.epicski.com/t/124535/beginner-skis-after-a-long-time-off

Thanks again. How much can I expect to pay for boots from a fitter?

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan189 View Post
 
Thanks again. How much can I expect to pay for boots from a fitter?

From my experience in NC, good if you can budget at least $350, better if $400-500 is possible.  That's for "new old stock" from a fitter who has a collection in the back room, and with some sort of discount.  I know that sounds high but remember what daily rentals cost.  The difference in performance is worth it if you want to improve steadily, or just have more fun because your feet don't hurt.

 

I usually buy boots during late season sales, which start right after Pres. Day in the southeast and Mid-Atlantic.  My first pair of boots were bought mid-Dec in the NC mountains during early season sales.  I was an intermediate skier at the time so got a comfortable rec boot that I used for 3-4 seasons when I was skiing 12-15 days mostly at small mountains.  For the next pair of boots, the price for the boots was about $400 and I also paid about $150 for custom heat-molded footbeds.  The footbeds will last longer than that pair of boots and I can use them in the next boots too.

 

Do you think your feet have stopped growing?  One reason parents choose to do a season lease for kids is to allow for growth mid-season.  Especially if the family is not skiing that often.  In my case, my boot fitter found boots for my daughter when she was a tween that she could use for a couple seasons.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Need advice on new skis [17yo in Mid-Atlantic]