or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Smith Vantage or variance
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smith Vantage or variance

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

Which is preferred among most people?

post #2 of 22

I looked at them both as well as the Sequel recently.  The fit is pretty much the same across the line.  The Vantage is the top end helmet; has more vents and the funky/significant/maybe not honeycomb lining.  I decided the extra venting and lining didn't warrant the money, and I didn't want a brim so I ended up with a Sequel, the non-brim version of the Variance from what I could tell.

post #3 of 22

I've had both.  Basically seemed the same.  Depends if you want a brim or not, mostly.

post #4 of 22
Outer diameter on Vantage < Variant.

^ as you can see didn't know they didn't do the Varient anymoe
post #5 of 22

Smith does Vantage, Variance (not Variant anymore), Sequel, Camber, and Aspect in vented helmets.  
Vantage and Variance have brims; the others not (though Camber has a "sorta" brim/lip).  

 

As before, I tried them all on recently at a retail store and they all seemed to fit the same.  Difference was in venting primarily. Small difference in weight.  

 

I had a Vantage that my wife appropriated, and I had to buy a replacement.  I don't like the look of a brim on me -- I have a small head and it looked like a rent-a-cop motorcycle helmet.  

post #6 of 22
Do brims have any significance or is it just style? Also does anyone know if vantage mips is worth it?
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobster View Post

Do brims have any significance or is it just style? Also does anyone know if vantage mips is worth it?

Depending on the goggles you wear, and the type of skiing you do, the brim can protect your goggle lenses a little from tree branches and such. If you're wearing a larger pair of goggles (the I/OX, the Anon M2, etc), The brim will give the goggle the appearance of fitting better on your face. In my brimless RED helmet, my I/OX's protrude a good bit past the helmet, which looks rather odd. On my brimmed RED helmet, the brim is fairly flush with the goggle, so it fits together better. 

post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobster View Post

Do brims have any significance or is it just style? Also does anyone know if vantage mips is worth it?


Personally I like having a brim.  Switched to the Smith Variance a few years ago.  During early season I end up skiing under snow guns at times and it's nice to have a brim that keeps blown snow somewhat off my goggles.  Same is true when skiing during a snowstorm out west.

post #9 of 22

Ok sweet!! I've never worn a helmet before and I am a relatively new skier. I just got all my own gear last year except for the helmet and I would like start skiing black diamonds and eventually glades, so I think a helmet is a good idea!!

post #10 of 22

The Vantage is the only helmet I have ever owned.

I never thought I would buy a helmet, but after having someone run into me at Vail, I relented and bought one.

I really love it!

Consider the Skullcandy Drop-in audio kit accessory too.I don't always use it, but it is really nice to have.

post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post
 

The Vantage is the only helmet I have ever owned.

I never thought I would buy a helmet, but after having someone run into me at Vail, I relented and bought one.

I really love it!

Consider the Skullcandy Drop-in audio kit accessory too.I don't always use it, but it is really nice to have.


Do you have the MIPS or just the regular helmet? Also, do you know how smith goggles fit with this helmet? I saw the audio accessory, but I can't even imagine skiing and not being able to hear my surroundings!

post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobster View Post
 

Ok sweet!! I've never worn a helmet before and I am a relatively new skier. I just got all my own gear last year except for the helmet and I would like start skiing black diamonds and eventually glades, so I think a helmet is a good idea!!


I avoided getting a helmet for a while.  Learned to ski long ago without one since they didn't exist and generally don't like hats.  But when I discovered how much warmer and drier my head stayed with a helmet, there was no reason not to get one.  A little bit of a pain to take on ski trips that involve an airplane, but worth the effort.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobster View Post
 

Do you have the MIPS or just the regular helmet? Also, do you know how smith goggles fit with this helmet? I saw the audio accessory, but I can't even imagine skiing and not being able to hear my surroundings!

 

One reason I started trying on Smith helmets was that I had gotten hooked on Smith I/OS goggles.  When you get goggles and helmet from the same brand, usually they fit together well.  But still best to take goggles along with trying on helmets.

post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobster View Post
 


Do you have the MIPS or just the regular helmet? Also, do you know how smith goggles fit with this helmet? I saw the audio accessory, but I can't even imagine skiing and not being able to hear my surroundings!

 

Smith helmet + smith goggles = of course they fit well together.  ;-)

post #14 of 22


Sweet JayT  Thank you so much for your input!!

post #15 of 22


Thank you marznc for your input...it's much appreciated!

post #16 of 22

I've been very pleased with a Variance that I bought last year. I've been skiing in a helmet for about 25 years {I'm 60….I raced in a helmet long before that}. Have had many helmets. I have a pretty average head shape, and found the fit of the Variance to be an improvement over the Shred softie that I had been wearing. Fit down on the crown of my head, and across the forehead better. Nice snug fit. Good adjustability, and just the amount of venting that I wanted. It has a bit more brim than I've had before, and to be honest it hasn't bothered me at all. I think it's a plus, particularly in lousy weather. I haven't taken a tumble where I needed a helmet in a LONG time, but based on the fit of this one, I'm comfortable and secure. Mine is pre-MIPS, BTW. 

 

BTW, all of my goggles are Shred. I think these helmets work well with any goggle. Had to borrow a pair of my daughter's POC's last season….no issues. Good fit. 

 

I don't think you can go wrong with either model…….but it's all about fit. If neither fits properly, move on. 

post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muleski View Post
 

I've been very pleased with a Variance that I bought last year. I've been skiing in a helmet for about 25 years {I'm 60….I raced in a helmet long before that}. Have had many helmets. I have a pretty average head shape, and found the fit of the Variance to be an improvement over the Shred softie that I had been wearing. Fit down on the crown of my head, and across the forehead better. Nice snug fit. Good adjustability, and just the amount of venting that I wanted. It has a bit more brim than I've had before, and to be honest it hasn't bothered me at all. I think it's a plus, particularly in lousy weather. I haven't taken a tumble where I needed a helmet in a LONG time, but based on the fit of this one, I'm comfortable and secure. Mine is pre-MIPS, BTW. 

 

BTW, all of my goggles are Shred. I think these helmets work well with any goggle. Had to borrow a pair of my daughter's POC's last season….no issues. Good fit. 

 

I don't think you can go wrong with either model…….but it's all about fit. If neither fits properly, move on. 


Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it, its crazy how many different options there are these days... for all sorts of reasons!

post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobster View Post
 


Do you have the MIPS or just the regular helmet? Also, do you know how smith goggles fit with this helmet? I saw the audio accessory, but I can't even imagine skiing and not being able to hear my surroundings!

Mine is the 2013 model like this http://www.smithoptics.com/us/c/Vantage/p/H14-VAGMLG/sizeVariants.

It fits perfectly with my IOX goggles (also 2013).

The speakers fit into built-in pockets in the ear pads, and in the relativel rare event when I listen to music while skiing I do not find it an isolating experience - quite the contrary. It's pretty wonderful. I am just too lazy to transfer playlists to my iPhone.

The switch/volume control isn't great; it is light, cheap and plastic. On the other hand it has as a lifetime warranty, so it doesn't matter whether or not it seems to lack durability.

post #19 of 22

I like a brim when riding the chair into the sun all day. If you tip your head down you can get some protection. Like a visor. Go Monster El Nino!

post #20 of 22

Bump for 2016 since there is at least one new member who mentioned buying a helmet.

 

I replaced my helmet recently and got another Variance.  I like the brim.  Didn't plan on getting a new helmet but my daughter's was definitely past due at 10 years old.  Got a BOGO at the local ski shop so I went for it.

 

For those who are looking for a helmet, remember that not all goggles work with all helmets.  One advantage of getting helmet and goggles that are the same brand is that they usually fit well together.

post #21 of 22

Thank you for your reply, I ended up buying a Smith Vantage helmet with MIPS technology and was luckily able to get $50 off which was nice. I absolutely love the helmet because it is warm without having to wear a hat under it, plus when I am skiing it doesn't even feel like I am wearing a helmet!

post #22 of 22

On my 2nd Vantage; this time with Mips. Fit was a little snugger with Mips, and gave me a little ice cream headache at first, but liner packed down some over last season, so it's no longer an issue. While warmer than a hat, I still like having a hood to pull up on the lift on really cold days.

 

Upgraded from the old Smith/Skullcandy wired audio to the new Smith/Outdoor Tech Bluetooth. Wireless=mo-better, but noticed some spotty connection issues if I carry my phone in a pants pocket (spring skiing without a jacket/pocket). Solution was wearing bibs, and using the bib pocket. IMO the distance from pants pocket to helmet should not exceed Bluetooth range, but it does.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Smith Vantage or variance