Local input / first hand experience would be appreciated on a road trip I'm planning for late Jan. Thanks!
- First time with unlimited EPIC. I won't likely buy EPIC pass again in the future.
- I only have one shot at out-of-state ski travels extended time-off.
- I have never skied in CO before.
- I have fitness, drive and tenacity for a long term trip - did similar last year...10-12 day trip to UT/WY/MT/Tahoe.
1. Travel by car - FWD with all season tires / with snow chains as necessary.
2. Ski almost every day from opening to mid afternoon.
3. Take Sat off to get rested and avoid weekend crowd, assuming Sat being the most crowded.
4. Drive short distances in the morning and long distances in the afternoon after skiing to my next lodging location
5. Two days max per resort (20/80 rule) - this worked out fine last year.
Yet to be firmed up:
1. Powder/Park City in or out - would really like to work this out.
2. Aspen/Snowmas in or out - because of my wife. Otherwise, I'd save it for later when I have MC, Mammoth MVP Preimum or something.
3. Eldora in or out - leaning towards "out"
4. Ski from the East to the West or the opposite - leaning towards the former to have it a bit easier on the inbound travels.
5. 1 day vs 2 days per area: for now, 1 day on Arapahoe Basin and 2 days on the rest.
Possible itinearies (in the order of preference)
1. Both CO and UT EPIC areas: Arapahoe Basin (1), Keystone (2), Breckenridge (2), Vail (2), Beaver Creek (2) + Powder (2), Park City (2) - 13 ski days
2. CO EPIC areas: 9 ski days
3. CO EPIC + Aspen/Snowmass (2) - 11 ski days
4. CO/UT EPIC + Aspen/Snowmass (2) - 15 ski days