or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Kästle Demo Shop in Southern Vermont?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kästle Demo Shop in Southern Vermont?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

Does such a thing exist?  I'd like to demo an FX84, but demo shops locally seem thin on the ground.  The Kästle dealer locator shows shops near Stratton & Okemo, but their web sites don't mention Kästle.  There's a shop near Sugarbush, but it seems to be an all tele / AT shop.  Don't want to travel all the way to Stowe if I can avoid it, or all the way to Northern New Hampshire.

 

Ideas? Insights?

post #2 of 26

Good luck.  I bought some untried.  Love 'em.

post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post
 

Good luck.  I bought some untried.  Love 'em.


I'm tempted (though I'll have to wait for a demo sale), but after my experience with the MX83s, I'm wary.

post #4 of 26

FX84s are much lighter in weight (evidently designed for back country) than most skis.  

 

They bend longitudinally, easily, so I can get a nice controlled "scarved" short radius turn out of them with a minimum amount of skidding on New England hard snow.  They are quite torsionally stiff, and damp in that Kastle way, so they hold an edge great on ice.

 

Because they bend easy, they're also good in bumps.  In dense crud they readily bend when tipped into very short radius turns.  Those two sheets of titanal are very thin.  These are not MXs.  Wood's in there too, along with the damping material.  

 

It's been hard for me (135-140 lbs) to get rebound out of them, but I suspect if I were to move with quicker timing I could (aka pilot error).  But then again these are not race skis, so I'm not sure.

 

I know one shop in NH that carries Kastles, but they don't have FXs.  

post #5 of 26
@lakespapa, Equipe Sport in Bondville had Kastles in their on-mountain shop at Stratton when I was there a couple weeks ago. Don't know about demos.
post #6 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post
 

FX84s are much lighter in weight (evidently designed for back country) than most skis.  

 

They bend longitudinally, easily, so I can get a nice controlled "scarved" short radius turn out of them with a minimum amount of skidding on New England hard snow.  They are quite torsionally stiff, and damp in that Kastle way, so they hold an edge great on ice.

 

Because they bend easy, they're also good in bumps.  In dense crud they readily bend when tipped into very short radius turns.  Those two sheets of titanal are very thin.  These are not MXs.  Wood's in there too, along with the damping material.  

 

It's been hard for me (135-140 lbs) to get rebound out of them, but I suspect if I were to move with quicker timing I could (aka pilot error).  But then again these are not race skis, so I'm not sure.

 

I know one shop in NH that carries Kastles, but they don't have FXs.  


That's up north, isn't it?  Or are you talking seacoast?  Either way, it would be tough.  I'd try a demo at WP in February, but there are no Kästle dealers there, so far as I know.

post #7 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post

@lakespapa, Equipe Sport in Bondville had Kastles in their on-mountain shop at Stratton when I was there a couple weeks ago. Don't know about demos.


Really?  I'll contact them.  I'm surprised there's no mention on the web site.

post #8 of 26
I would call The Boot Pro in Ludlow Vt. I drove 6.5 hrs to get new boots from them. Top notch customer service, great people. I know they sell lots of Kastles and might have a pair to try. Good luck.
post #9 of 26
I emailed Kaslte the same question. Was told that the Boot Pro, and also Equipe Sport in Stratton.
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespapa View Post
 


I'm tempted (though I'll have to wait for a demo sale), but after my experience with the MX83s, I'm wary.

 

 I bought the FX84 un-demoed and love them. Esp. after I mounted the bindings 20mm aft factory line. The ski is just the right mix of playfulness and hard charger for our constant varied conditions we experience in the NE. 

 

 

Just curious, what was the bad experience with the MX83? 

post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUFFY View Post
 

 

 I bought the FX84 un-demoed and love them. Esp. after I mounted the bindings 20mm aft factory line. The ski is just the right mix of playfulness and hard charger for our constant varied conditions we experience in the NE. 

 

 

Just curious, what was the bad experience with the MX83? 


I bought the 173 -- just a bit too long, and a bit too stiff for me, even mounted +1.5.  A 168 would have done the trick, I think, but the next one down is 163.  

post #12 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post

@lakespapa, Equipe Sport in Bondville had Kastles in their on-mountain shop at Stratton when I was there a couple weeks ago. Don't know about demos.


For what it's worth, Equipe Sport demos from their on-mountain site at $60 / day -- only MX & LX models, though, no FX.  I guess the Boot Pro is my next inquiry.

post #13 of 26
Thread Starter 

An update, should anyone care: The Boot Pro carries FX, MX, & LX models (among other skis), and they demo what they sell -- and $35, which they charge, is a deal.  I'd reserved a pair of FX84s Wednesday last week, but after an hour's drive to pick them up, I found that whoever demoed them Tuesday hadn't brought them back.  Which was annoying.  The Boot Pro made it up today, though, with a free demo I didn't have to ask for.  Seems like a great shop.  Someone on the lift today told me they're good with boots, too (as you might expect).

post #14 of 26

The Boot Pro is one of the best shops in the NE, Shon has been the "go to" guy in Ludlow for boot fitting for over 20 years. 

post #15 of 26
Anyone mount forward of reccomended line? Bmx 118 for me
post #16 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjchit14 View Post

Anyone mount forward of reccomended line? Bmx 118 for me

I've played with the mount position on a pair of too-long (and soon to be for sale) MX83s. On the line they were unmanageable. At +1.5, they were dramatically different, with an occasional tendency to scrub out. At +1, they were as good as they were going to get. At +5, they turned loggy again, though less so than they were on the line. I didn't play with the mount point on the FX.

Edit on this to say that I'm not the best candidate for an MX, anyway -- nowhere near good enough as a skier.
post #17 of 26

Lakespapa, how did you like the FX84?

post #18 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUFFY View Post
 

Lakespapa, how did you like the FX84?


Totally.  A strong, smooth ski, much easier than the MX, but no noodle.  Conditions didn't exactly favor an 84, but edge grip was phenomenal; they hold better on ice than my 76mm skis -- they've seen too many seasons, though, so not a good comparison.  I'd like to try the FX in softer snow, but I liked them enough to consider buying them.  (Now to find a demo in good condition!)

post #19 of 26

Topsheets on this ski chip/get scratched easily.  I don't know why Kastle doesn't put something more durable on top.

You'll find that most demos for sale have topsheet blemishes.  Don't worry about them; my brand new ones out of the box got scratched up day one.

post #20 of 26
Thread Starter 

That's interesting LF.  My MXs came in excellent condition -- scratches but minimal chipping.  The guy at The Boot Pro mentioned that, too.

post #21 of 26

It is tough to find a Kastle demo out west.    I wish we could demo more, but we only get a few rentals a year on them, and inevitably some hack chews them up. So we made $200 renting the skis over a season and they lost $600 in value. I think it only works for high volume shops that have people looking for a high-end demo.  My in-store customers just want a nice ski for the day, as I imagine most shops' customers do, so we can't justify renting out the Kastles unless someone really wants to purchase a pair in-store (which is blue-moon rare).  I usually just put adjustable bindings on my pairs and loan those out when necessary.  

 

Probably just a function of them being so expensive and trying to sell a niche product in a lower-end market.  

post #22 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post
 

It is tough to find a Kastle demo out west.    I wish we could demo more, but we only get a few rentals a year on them, and inevitably some hack chews them up. So we made $200 renting the skis over a season and they lost $600 in value. I think it only works for high volume shops that have people looking for a high-end demo.  My in-store customers just want a nice ski for the day, as I imagine most shops' customers do, so we can't justify renting out the Kastles unless someone really wants to purchase a pair in-store (which is blue-moon rare).  I usually just put adjustable bindings on my pairs and loan those out when necessary.  

 

Probably just a function of them being so expensive and trying to sell a niche product in a lower-end market.  


Huh.  There are two Kästle shops within an hour or so from me -- a fact I didn't know two weeks ago.  I suppose it's because we're close to New York & Boston.

post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespapa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post

 
It is tough to find a Kastle demo out west.    I wish we could demo more, but we only get a few rentals a year on them, and inevitably some hack chews them up. So we made $200 renting the skis over a season and they lost $600 in value. I think it only works for high volume shops that have people looking for a high-end demo.  My in-store customers just want a nice ski for the day, as I imagine most shops' customers do, so we can't justify renting out the Kastles unless someone really wants to purchase a pair in-store (which is blue-moon rare).  I usually just put adjustable bindings on my pairs and loan those out when necessary.  

Probably just a function of them being so expensive and trying to sell a niche product in a lower-end market.  


Huh.  There are two Kästle shops within an hour or so from me -- a fact I didn't know two weeks ago.  I suppose it's because we're close to New York & Boston.

Have you ever taken note of the cars in the Stratton garage?

Seriously, there was more high end ski gear and clothing at the Stratton base village when I was there a few weeks ago than in the entire state of Maine. You are in a special niche there, lakes.
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespapa View Post
 


Huh.  There are two Kästle shops within an hour or so from me -- a fact I didn't know two weeks ago.  I suppose it's because we're close to New York & Boston.

 

 

Yeah, just a few more (hundreds of thousands) of high income demographic customers in that region.....Oregon is middle income.  Bend is the most expensive town in the state, and you can get a 3200 sq foot home on the river rim overlooking the Deschutes for $575k.  90 second walk to mountain biking, 4th class rapids, and fly fishing.  Most people here can barely afford to ski, much less buy $1200 skis.  

 

Location, location, location I guess, right? 

post #25 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post


Have you ever taken note of the cars in the Stratton garage?

Seriously, there was more high end ski gear and clothing at the Stratton base village when I was there a few weeks ago than in the entire state of Maine. You are in a special niche there, lakes.

 

 

True.  And I have noticed those cars, but I like to park on the Sunbowl side -- a better vibe.  Actually, if it weren't for the Intrawest Passport I bought for skiing at Winter Park, I'd rarely ski Stratton.  Sunapee is more like it.

post #26 of 26
Thread Starter 

We stopped at First Trax in West Dover (near Mt. Snow) to drop off my son's boots for a grind.  My wife and her dad were browsing through the merchandise and discovered, on a mannequin, a lady's "ski jacket" for $1700.00, and a knit cap with a mink pompom for $200.  The jacket had a nice, taut structure, the kind that you'd like to see on a lean but comfortably-maintained ex-model.

 

A friend told us today about the children of friends of hers.  The friends are relatively modest folks; the kids went to Stratton Mountain School.  The daughter apparently ranked 19th last year in the (snowboard?) World Cup. The son graduated from SMS in May and was teaching at Stratton this winter when he met a billionaire developer from Long Island who hired him to train his kids at the estate. The guy even flew the boy's parents to the Long Island in his private jet, so they could see where the boy worked.  

 

You kind of have to wish that some of that money would rub off on a person, but you're kind of glad it doesn't.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Kästle Demo Shop in Southern Vermont?