or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Correct Ski length ....Please help [6'3", > 250 lbs]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Correct Ski length ....Please help [6'3", > 250 lbs]

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

       I am a Above average size skier. I am 6'3''-6'4'' 350 pounds. I have been skiing since I was 5 growing up in north western New Mexico skiing Wolf Creek and Purgatory I have been currently skiing on a set of Volkl Unlimited AC 50      177 length . I had these skis gifted to me, and I have used them throughout most of high school and college, because I had no money to afford anything else (I couldn't tell you what I had before these its been so long)  These skis I am sure are way to small for my size. I can do groomers no problem, but anything else I sink and cant stay on top of anything. this has limited me from doing tree trails or any type of powder for the past 5 years! Today I was skiing at Copper Mountain after that snow we just had, and every time I would turn the backs of my skis would sink and catch attempting to throw me every which way(even on some of the runs they groomed I would still sink and catch).I am tired of it! I can now afford a good solid set of skis that fit me correctly. I use to do anything but groomers, but for the longest time thats what I've been limited to. with these current skis (like previously stated) I can only do groomers and moguls. If there is any powder I'm toast. 

 

What my question to you guys is what size/width of ski would you recommend? I would like a twin tip ski, and as you could probably tell something that I can take and be comfortable in powder/tree trails. While also still being able to do the moguls that I love so much. I figure any ski can do groomers, and I hit the park once in a while but its not really something I do every time I go up. 

 

      Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

post #2 of 16

You would need at least a 300 cm ski to get close to the same float a 200 lb person gets on 180-190 cm powder ski, but they don't make them that long. You also need a stiff ski to handle your weight. One option would be a Armada AK JJ that is available for $349 at http://www.levelninesports.com/Armada-2012-Ak-Jj-Skis - talk to them to see if you think they would work for you. They show an 18m turn radius which is shorter than Rossignol Super 7 that have 22.5m at 195 length. In Rossignol Super 7s, you would want the older versions that has metal to make them stiff enough to handle your weight, not the latest version. I'm close to 200 lbs and ski the 188 cm Super 7s and have yet to have been out on a day where powder was deep enough that they did not give me enough float. I also find them easy enough to turn and fun on groomed runs. Another idea would be to demo the biggest stiffest powder ski available on the next day you ski when there is new snow to see if that improves your experience.


Edited by tseeb - 12/25/14 at 9:25pm
post #3 of 16

You are big, so there's no question about it, get the biggest and widest ski you can find for powder. On a powder day just go to the demo shop and say what's your biggest widest ski.

 

If you also want a new all-mountain daily ski to replace your ac50s, you can search on "big guy" and find some threads (just read the more recent ones).

Can you really afford skis, or even 2sets?  If your budget opens up of course so does your choices, you don't need to shop at levelnine if you have money to spend.

 

 

Also, I'll chuck this out there, so take it or leave it, it wouldn't hurt to see what you can do to try to drop a few pounds too.

post #4 of 16

Whatever ski you get, get the longest length it comes in.

 

Now what to get is going to be a problem.  You should probably get something on the stiffer end of things, stiffer than most people would want for moguls. Tha'ts about all I can add.

post #5 of 16

Volkl Mantra 191

Kastle MX94 194

 

These are two options for you, two skis that ski to their full length. Most of the bigger skis over 190, ski short because they have significant rise in the tip and or tail making them ski shorter. 

post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSwaggInMyBag View Post
 

       I am a Above average size skier. I am 6'3''-6'4'' 350 pounds. I have been skiing since I was 5 growing up in north western New Mexico skiing Wolf Creek and Purgatory I have been currently skiing on a set of Volkl Unlimited AC 50      177 length . I had these skis gifted to me, and I have used them throughout most of high school and college, because I had no money to afford anything else (I couldn't tell you what I had before these its been so long)  These skis I am sure are way to small for my size. I can do groomers no problem, but anything else I sink and cant stay on top of anything. this has limited me from doing tree trails or any type of powder for the past 5 years! Today I was skiing at Copper Mountain after that snow we just had, and every time I would turn the backs of my skis would sink and catch attempting to throw me every which way(even on some of the runs they groomed I would still sink and catch).I am tired of it! I can now afford a good solid set of skis that fit me correctly. I use to do anything but groomers, but for the longest time thats what I've been limited to. with these current skis (like previously stated) I can only do groomers and moguls. If there is any powder I'm toast. 

 

What my question to you guys is what size/width of ski would you recommend? I would like a twin tip ski, and as you could probably tell something that I can take and be comfortable in powder/tree trails. While also still being able to do the moguls that I love so much. I figure any ski can do groomers, and I hit the park once in a while but its not really something I do every time I go up. 

 

      Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Do you want a ski to complement your volkl or do you want something to replace it that would be more fitted to you and more versatile?

Someone else would have to corroborate me but I'm gessing that twin tips are usually less stiff??? And I second Philpug for none rocker skis! The Mantra would be nice...the FX94 too... and maybe the mx 98? The older version ( last year) of the Experience 98...

post #7 of 16

I will be the third person to ask the key question here;

 

are you looking to compliment your AC 50s (as in keep those skis for days with no fresh snow and just groomed hard snow skiing)

 

-or-

 

are you looking to find one single pair of skis to use on all days (replacing the AC 50s) and hoping to get a better mix of hard and soft snow performance than the AC50

 

 

Regardless of your answer, I have one single brand new pair of 203cm Volkl Shiros from 2013.  This will easily solve your powder sadness and be plenty of ski to keep you floating and having fun as you tromp all over the rest of us midgets.  If you PM me I can make you a very very nice price on these as I want them G-O-N-E

 

best of luck!

 

-jake

post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseeb View Post
 

You would need at least a 300 cm ski to get close to the same float a 200 lb person gets on 180-190 cm powder ski, but they don't make them that long. You also need a stiff ski to handle your weight. One option would be a Armada AK JJ that is available for $349 at http://www.levelninesports.com/Armada-2012-Ak-Jj-Skis - talk to them to see if you think they would work for you. They show an 18m turn radius which is shorter than Rossignol Super 7 that have 22.5m at 195 length. In Rossignol Super 7s, you would want the older versions that has metal to make them stiff enough to handle your weight, not the latest version. I'm close to 200 lbs and ski the 188 cm Super 7s and have yet to have been out on a day where powder was deep enough that they did not give me enough float. I also find them easy enough to turn and fun on groomed runs. Another idea would be to demo the biggest stiffest powder ski available on the next day you ski when there is new snow to see if that improves your experience.


I also have some of those 195 metal Super 7s that tseeb mentions.  I can also make a stellar deal on those, probably less than the above quoted price for the Armada ski.  Just sayin'.

post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 

      Sorry for my late response I've been away from my computer due to my families cat severing my power cord, so I had to wait until I returned to Las Vegas to get a charge. Thanks allot for all the feed back so far! I am planning on getting a new set to replace my current skis for sure (1000 max). I would ideally like a everyday fairly forgiving ski that I could do everything on (Groomers,Moguls,Trees, Powder), but I don't know if that would be entirely possible. I suppose then (If not possible) I would be going for 2 sets of skis. A ski for all purpose that could handle some light, light powder(again if possible). Then I will purchase a set of Fatties strictly for those awesome powder days. Its just been so long since I've even been able to think of a new set of skis, so I figure I would go to the forums to get some good info before any type of purchase.

 

     I understand that Im a very above average rider so its extremely hard to find proper fitting gear for myself (especially ski pants), so I really appreciate all the great responses so far. Skiing is honestly my passion. If I was smaller/good enough I would much rather be on the college ski team (If they had one) rather than the football team. My size does help out a bit on the offensive/defensive line tho, so I gotta work with what I got. 


Edited by NoSwaggInMyBag - 12/26/14 at 10:09pm
post #10 of 16

Probably worth reading through this thread about a "little" 240lb guy who was on a tighter budget.

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/129913/looking-for-a-pair-of-fat-waisted-powder-skis-need-recomendations

 

I'd probably go with the 203cm Shiros.

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSwaggInMyBag View Post
 

Sorry for my late response 

 :

My size does help out a bit on the offensive/defensive line tho, so I gotta work with what I got. 

Glad to see you back as I was beginning to wonder if we'd been trolled. It was interesting that nobody responded for 21 hours, then once I responded you got 7 more responses (not including yours or mine) in the next 24 hours.

 

I was also wondering if you were a football lineman as that or Sumo wrestler is that only profession where that much weight works well. I'm usually on the field with the 49ers during home games and it's interesting that even some of their former lineman who now work with the team (Sapolu, McIntyre) as no longer as heavy as when they played.

post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 

Yeah Im not trolling the forum for sure. Im done with college as well as football (for the time being), so I'm just hitting the gym hard and skiing my heart out. Just had to get back to Las Vegas after entertaining the family in Denver. I am planning on going to Steamboat springs in 3 weeks, so I am hoping to have a good idea of what id like by then. I think I will try to go to a mountain in California to demo some skis before Steamboat, but I have never skied cali. Perhaps Big Bear or Mammoth. Maybe Flagstaff since I know the mountain, but I always love to try new places.

post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
 

 

I'd probably go with the 203cm Shiros.

You guys think this might be worth checking out. Do you think they would be still enough for me?

post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 

*Stiff

post #15 of 16
I have a 4frnt renegade 186 122 under good with a deadbolt binding for you. This ski is stiff and floats like literally no other ski out there. Perfect ski for a big man
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSwaggInMyBag View Post
 

You guys think this might be worth checking out. Do you think they would be still enough for me?

 

Yes.  I just saw this thread; I'm about 310#, skied all my life, including a 4 year bum-stint in Utah.  I've lived in Colorado the last 22 years or so, last seven skiing off snowmobiles - every day is a powder day.  I have 3 pairs in current rotation - 189cm original Pontoons, 189cm 2nd gen Pon2oons, and 203cm Shiros.  

 

I bought the Shiro after a very pleasant experience on the original (? white with green and black) Shiro in a.....179?  Way shorter than I'd normally choose, but that was the choice that day.  Made a couple of runs at Buffalo Pass on those; 12-14" on top of a firm/set up base.  The shorty Shiros WAY exceeded my expectations - just about as good as a Pontoon would be in the soft, but when it bottomed out, _way_ better.  Huh!  

 

Finally got a pair last season or the season prior, forget - black with lighter blue, 203cm.  AFAIK, these have metal in them, the originals did not.  

 

They're a BURLY ski.  They rip on hard snow, reward big aggression in deep snow.  I've never skied a true groomer on them, but I have carved rails into windbuff & linked turns on catroads.  

 

Honestly, my Pon2oons are almost more fun - 14cm shorter, softer flex, easier to ski, do not REQUIRE big effort in tight trees.  "Tight" means "would not be considered a trail inbounds;" some of the stuff we ski closes out HARD.  The Volkls feel big there.  Typical Steamboat "tree skiing," they'd be awesome.

 

I'm a solid skier; I have a lot of days under my belt (more than most), but I'm pretty out of shape - I'm not 300 football-player pounds, but I'm a pretty strong guy no matter what.  Combine "strong" with, oh, erhhhmmmm, well over 2000 days on snow, eh, yeah - I'd be REALLY surprised if the Shiro is not enough ski for the OP.  

 

My bias is certainly toward natural snow/powder skiing.  I've not ridden a lift in 7 years.  No idea how they'd do in bumps, but I suspect they'd be at least OK, or as OK as a big ski can be in moguls.  The thing I LOVE about the Shiro is that they actually work on firm snow.  2nd gen Pon2oons kinda work.  Original Pontoons do not.  At all.  Horrid.  

 

.02c!   OP - if your boot fits, I'd be happy to loan them to you; I doubt you'll find a 203cm for demo at a shop, I'm kinda amazed that Volkl even made it.  

 

 

 

Iain

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Correct Ski length ....Please help [6'3", > 250 lbs]