So of course no one can predict what the weather will be in mid-January but unfortunately I need to make a decision this weekend. Which area has done better so far this season in terms of snowfall/conditions or are they about the same? We have plane tickets to DEN and a rental car and I booked lodging at both areas but I need to cancel one this weekend. It looks like Vail is almost 100% open which is pretty impressive for this early on...even the back bowls and Mineral Basin. BC and Breck also look like more is opened than the Aspen resorts. I know sometimes patterns favor one area of CO over another so any advice anyone (locals) can give. I am leaning towards Vail because it seems they've been favored with snow so far this year and the ride is shorter from DEN although I have been there several times and never been to Aspen and would love to go. We are both intermediate/advanced skiers. If both mountains are a toss up condition wise at this point I think I would choose Aspen though. Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- Steamboat vs Aspen vs Vail Last post on 12/23/14 at 9:43am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Planning 2017 MCP trip. [family trip in Jan (was March)] Last post on 8/11/16 at 12:57pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- The 2016 Aspen Gathering - An Intermediate Skier's First Gathering Last post on 2/11/16 at 9:32pm in Trip Reports
- Kids Ski Free at Aspen! Last post on 11/3/15 at 9:05am in Family Skiing Discussions
- The 2016 EpicSki Gathering at Aspen Colorado in early February Last post on 2/22/16 at 6:54am in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
Colorado Road Trip Recap
Last edited: 8/29/15
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- EpicSki Interview with Patrick Torsell of Ski Cooper: Part 2Last edited: 1/20/17
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
- Snowmass, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 1/3/15
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
This is the most incredibly over-the-top country-club-like resort we've been and we've skied all over USA. It's so cool I took pictures of the bathrooms! Beautifully done. Three gondolas keep...
I went to Maverick the day after a day at Big Sky and what a dramatic difference. As opposed to Big Sky's massive area (which seemed to me to ski much smaller than its size), hard skier packed...
Have to make lodging decision this weekend for MLK week: Snowmass/Aspen vs. Vail/BC/Breckpost #1 of 912/18/14 at 7:20pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 912/19/14 at 4:26ampost #3 of 912/19/14 at 7:32am
I didn't see the header on my phone. You'd be a fool to pick Summit over Aspen, MLK week.
Yes, the pre Thanksgiving storm favored Summit County, but Aspen's had 28" in the last five days.
Where do you have reservations?
Rates will get better, closer to arrival.post #4 of 912/19/14 at 8:50ampost #5 of 912/19/14 at 3:40pmQuote:
This goes for every level of skier, too.post #6 of 912/19/14 at 6:41pmpost #7 of 912/20/14 at 9:02amThread Starter
Thanks for the input guys. Using Starwood points and s was going to stay in either the Westin Snowmass or Sheraton Mountain Vista in Avon. So based on all the advice here we are going to head to Snowmass/Aspen for the five nights. Looking forward to it....but not the drive from DEN! :)post #8 of 912/20/14 at 9:05am
- Have to make lodging decision this weekend for MLK week: Snowmass/Aspen vs. Vail/BC/Breck
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Ski carving how to improve 1 minute ago
- › Mountain Collective 17/18 is out 11 minutes ago
- › Bump turn on flats 12 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Utah weather, news, and chat 17 minutes ago
- › Rossignol SOUL 7's edge damage not warranteed 24 minutes ago
- › How much wax does everyone use? 26 minutes ago
- › When Couldn't You Keep Up? [- a Family Skiing topic] 45 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 57 minutes ago
- › 2010/2011 Kastle MX 88 Replacement 58 minutes ago
- › Telluride - trip timing advice 59 minutes ago
- › Big Sky by oldgoat
- › Kneebinding Knee Friendly Binding by barunrm
- › Snowbird by MBrady
- › Snowbasin by MBrady
- › Maverick Mountain by Roadrash
- › Lutsen Mountains by comfortstarr
- › Tremblant by jzmtl
- › Panorama Mountain Village by Pacobillie
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by vieuxcrouton
- › Mt. Baker by jhkc
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview
- › Fan Traverse Drill
- › Complete Ski Packages - Skip the Rental Line!