So of course no one can predict what the weather will be in mid-January but unfortunately I need to make a decision this weekend. Which area has done better so far this season in terms of snowfall/conditions or are they about the same? We have plane tickets to DEN and a rental car and I booked lodging at both areas but I need to cancel one this weekend. It looks like Vail is almost 100% open which is pretty impressive for this early on...even the back bowls and Mineral Basin. BC and Breck also look like more is opened than the Aspen resorts. I know sometimes patterns favor one area of CO over another so any advice anyone (locals) can give. I am leaning towards Vail because it seems they've been favored with snow so far this year and the ride is shorter from DEN although I have been there several times and never been to Aspen and would love to go. We are both intermediate/advanced skiers. If both mountains are a toss up condition wise at this point I think I would choose Aspen though. Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- Steamboat vs Aspen vs Vail Last post on 12/23/14 at 9:43am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Planning 2017 MCP trip. [family trip in Jan (was March)] Last post on 8/11/16 at 12:57pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- The 2016 Aspen Gathering - An Intermediate Skier's First Gathering Last post on 2/11/16 at 9:32pm in Trip Reports
- Kids Ski Free at Aspen! Last post on 11/3/15 at 9:05am in Family Skiing Discussions
- The 2016 EpicSki Gathering at Aspen Colorado in early February Last post on 2/22/16 at 6:54am in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
Colorado Road Trip Recap
Last edited: 8/29/15
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- EpicSki Interview with Patrick Torsell of Ski Cooper: Part 2Last edited: 1/20/17
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
- Snowmass, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 1/3/15
Great fitting liner and good performance. Lace up tongue give solid all around fit and with the power strap keep shin in contact with the tongue. The spot kit would help with tweaking those spots...
Great day use area for the Springfield /Eugene crowd. At 6000ft elevation it is above most of the Oregon rain. With 1500 feet of drop off a high speed six pack it is a real ski area. No Lodging No...
Why ski here? -Blue Mountain is probably the best value in Eastern Pennsylvania. It has two high-speed, top-to-bottom lifts. That means you can get a ton of skiing in. At nearby mountains like Elk...
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Have to make lodging decision this weekend for MLK week: Snowmass/Aspen vs. Vail/BC/Breckpost #1 of 912/18/14 at 7:20pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 912/19/14 at 4:26ampost #3 of 912/19/14 at 7:32am
I didn't see the header on my phone. You'd be a fool to pick Summit over Aspen, MLK week.
Yes, the pre Thanksgiving storm favored Summit County, but Aspen's had 28" in the last five days.
Where do you have reservations?
Rates will get better, closer to arrival.post #4 of 912/19/14 at 8:50ampost #5 of 912/19/14 at 3:40pmQuote:
This goes for every level of skier, too.post #6 of 912/19/14 at 6:41pmpost #7 of 912/20/14 at 9:02amThread Starter
Thanks for the input guys. Using Starwood points and s was going to stay in either the Westin Snowmass or Sheraton Mountain Vista in Avon. So based on all the advice here we are going to head to Snowmass/Aspen for the five nights. Looking forward to it....but not the drive from DEN! :)post #8 of 912/20/14 at 9:05am
- Have to make lodging decision this weekend for MLK week: Snowmass/Aspen vs. Vail/BC/Breck
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Who is the ultimate thread "killer"? 2 minutes ago
- › RIP EpicSki 1999-2017 9 minutes ago
- › Notification chain as a way to let friends and friends of friends... 23 minutes ago
- › Death Bed Confessions 38 minutes ago
- › RIP Epic - Technical Help 1 hour, 24 minutes ago
- › We Heard You! 7 hours, 37 minutes ago
- › What, no hockey fans? 19 hours, 48 minutes ago
- › FS Nordica Dobermann Spitfire Pro EDT skis, 162cm , NEW 2 days, 6 hours ago
- › Praxis Concept 177cm w/ Salomon STH 13 2 days, 6 hours ago
- › Shutdown Procedures 2 days, 8 hours ago
- › 2018 K2 Marksman Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review