So of course no one can predict what the weather will be in mid-January but unfortunately I need to make a decision this weekend. Which area has done better so far this season in terms of snowfall/conditions or are they about the same? We have plane tickets to DEN and a rental car and I booked lodging at both areas but I need to cancel one this weekend. It looks like Vail is almost 100% open which is pretty impressive for this early on...even the back bowls and Mineral Basin. BC and Breck also look like more is opened than the Aspen resorts. I know sometimes patterns favor one area of CO over another so any advice anyone (locals) can give. I am leaning towards Vail because it seems they've been favored with snow so far this year and the ride is shorter from DEN although I have been there several times and never been to Aspen and would love to go. We are both intermediate/advanced skiers. If both mountains are a toss up condition wise at this point I think I would choose Aspen though. Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- Steamboat vs Aspen vs Vail Last post on 12/23/14 at 9:43am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Planning 2017 MCP trip. [family trip in Jan (was March)] Last post on 8/11/16 at 12:57pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- The 2016 Aspen Gathering - An Intermediate Skier's First Gathering Last post on 2/11/16 at 9:32pm in Trip Reports
- Kids Ski Free at Aspen! Last post on 11/3/15 at 9:05am in Family Skiing Discussions
- The 2016 EpicSki Gathering at Aspen Colorado in early February Last post on 2/22/16 at 6:54am in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
Colorado Road Trip Recap
Last edited: 8/29/15
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
- Snowmass, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 1/3/15
- Aspen Mountain, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 8/12/14
Flumserberg is a nice day trip ski resort about an hour train ride from Zurich (or drive). I skied here as a midweek season pass holder for a couple of seasons. Midweek it has small lift lines,...
For any east coast skiers this is like Mad River Glen with wider slopes and big drops to jump off of along with skiing between the trees. Just an all out amazing ski area. Simple and great...
I really love this place, it doesn't have the crowds that the other places around Ottawa have, but this is a legit ski place and is one of those hidden gems that hardcore ski guys/gals love. They...
Good for high volumn, pronated feet, i.e: This is the anti-matter Lange XLR/Banshe/Comp but still very good for people with wider, flatter, lower arched feet who needed or wanted a stiffer boot....
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
Have to make lodging decision this weekend for MLK week: Snowmass/Aspen vs. Vail/BC/Breckpost #1 of 912/18/14 at 7:20pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 912/19/14 at 4:26ampost #3 of 912/19/14 at 7:32am
I didn't see the header on my phone. You'd be a fool to pick Summit over Aspen, MLK week.
Yes, the pre Thanksgiving storm favored Summit County, but Aspen's had 28" in the last five days.
Where do you have reservations?
Rates will get better, closer to arrival.post #4 of 912/19/14 at 8:50ampost #5 of 912/19/14 at 3:40pmQuote:
This goes for every level of skier, too.post #6 of 912/19/14 at 6:41pmpost #7 of 912/20/14 at 9:02amThread Starter
Thanks for the input guys. Using Starwood points and s was going to stay in either the Westin Snowmass or Sheraton Mountain Vista in Avon. So based on all the advice here we are going to head to Snowmass/Aspen for the five nights. Looking forward to it....but not the drive from DEN! :)post #8 of 912/20/14 at 9:05am
- Have to make lodging decision this weekend for MLK week: Snowmass/Aspen vs. Vail/BC/Breck
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Mammoth Mountain for 2016-2017 7 minutes ago
- › Mammoth Mountain on a Budget 15 minutes ago
- › The Narrower Stance? 23 minutes ago
- › PA/DE/So. NJ 2016/2017 30 minutes ago
- › FS Quiver Purge 33 minutes ago
- › 2016: 1, 2, or 3 ski quiver? 53 minutes ago
- › Jackets that fit over the helmet? Multisport too? (Vermont) 1 hour ago
- › Want Big Sky condo/house in trade for Whitefish condo 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › Which do you like better, Holiday Valley or Seven Springs? 1 hour, 17 minutes ago
- › demo ski rental shop question -- Denver Summit county area 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › Flumserberg by willyofoz
- › Kirkwood Mountain Resort by Debbie Burke
- › Mont Sainte Marie by Charles J White
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by aarrkk
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › 2017 K2 iKonic 85 Ti Review
- › The Ins and Outs of Proper Layering
- › 2017 Smith ChromaPop - It's Basically...
- › EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
- › Epic Ski Image of the Month Contest Terms and...
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues