So of course no one can predict what the weather will be in mid-January but unfortunately I need to make a decision this weekend. Which area has done better so far this season in terms of snowfall/conditions or are they about the same? We have plane tickets to DEN and a rental car and I booked lodging at both areas but I need to cancel one this weekend. It looks like Vail is almost 100% open which is pretty impressive for this early on...even the back bowls and Mineral Basin. BC and Breck also look like more is opened than the Aspen resorts. I know sometimes patterns favor one area of CO over another so any advice anyone (locals) can give. I am leaning towards Vail because it seems they've been favored with snow so far this year and the ride is shorter from DEN although I have been there several times and never been to Aspen and would love to go. We are both intermediate/advanced skiers. If both mountains are a toss up condition wise at this point I think I would choose Aspen though. Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- Steamboat vs Aspen vs Vail Last post on 12/23/14 at 9:43am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Planning 2017 MCP trip. [family trip in Jan (was March)] Last post on 8/11/16 at 12:57pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- The 2016 Aspen Gathering - An Intermediate Skier's First Gathering Last post on 2/11/16 at 9:32pm in Trip Reports
- Kids Ski Free at Aspen! Last post on 11/3/15 at 9:05am in Family Skiing Discussions
- The 2016 EpicSki Gathering at Aspen Colorado in early February Last post on 2/22/16 at 6:54am in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
Colorado Road Trip Recap
Last edited: 8/29/15
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: Yesterday
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
- Snowmass, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 1/3/15
- Aspen Mountain, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 8/12/14
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Have to make lodging decision this weekend for MLK week: Snowmass/Aspen vs. Vail/BC/Breckpost #1 of 912/18/14 at 7:20pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 912/19/14 at 4:26ampost #3 of 912/19/14 at 7:32am
I didn't see the header on my phone. You'd be a fool to pick Summit over Aspen, MLK week.
Yes, the pre Thanksgiving storm favored Summit County, but Aspen's had 28" in the last five days.
Where do you have reservations?
Rates will get better, closer to arrival.post #4 of 912/19/14 at 8:50ampost #5 of 912/19/14 at 3:40pmQuote:
This goes for every level of skier, too.post #6 of 912/19/14 at 6:41pmpost #7 of 912/20/14 at 9:02amThread Starter
Thanks for the input guys. Using Starwood points and s was going to stay in either the Westin Snowmass or Sheraton Mountain Vista in Avon. So based on all the advice here we are going to head to Snowmass/Aspen for the five nights. Looking forward to it....but not the drive from DEN! :)post #8 of 912/20/14 at 9:05am
- Have to make lodging decision this weekend for MLK week: Snowmass/Aspen vs. Vail/BC/Breck
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 1 hour, 29 minutes ago
- › Bode News 1 hour, 37 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 1 hour, 38 minutes ago
- › Race Boot Recommendations 1 hour, 49 minutes ago
- › AirBnB and VRBO Versus Ski Town Zoning Ordinances 2 hours, 43 minutes ago
- › Marker WC Piston Control Plate Mounting 2 hours, 44 minutes ago
- › How many sizes of skis will my child go through? 3 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Cons and Pros. Atomic Vantage cti 90 vs Nordica Enforcer 93 4 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › FS: Jackets, Hats, Gloves, & Mittens 4 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › how to adjust Marker Titanium SC bindings? 4 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer