Heading to Crested Butte for the first time this weekend. How are conditions there? Recommendations for apres? Thanks
- itemCrested Butte Mountain Resorttagged by marznc, 12/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- Driving to Crested Butte from Denver on Saturday 3/18/16 Last post on 3/18/16 at 10:21pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Spring Break on a budget? Last post on 2/20/16 at 10:38pm in General Skiing Discussion
- If you could do the ultimate CO ski trip, which slopes would you hit? Last post on 12/22/15 at 3:30pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Crested Butte Apres-Ski Last post on 12/30/15 at 3:19pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Monarch in Feb, is it enough for a father and son from NH/VT? Last post on 10/14/15 at 9:59am in General Skiing Discussion
Top 5 Fridays - FIS Drone Ban, Discovery News, Crested Butte,...
Last edited: 1/8/16
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
Crested Butte first timer
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Conditions are pretty darn good, though none of the double black terrain is open yet. The Red Lady, Paradise East River, Painter Boy and Silver Queen lifts are running so that opens a bunch of runs. CBMR says the total snow fall so far this year is 6' plus, the mid level snow pack is just short of 3' (I think). It's snowing now(Wed AM) and more is forecast thru tomorrow. Can't be too long before the Headwall or North Face opens up. I've skied on my soft snow skis for the last 3 days and will be on them again in a few minutes. Not deep powder, but soft and fun.
Start apres ski at the Avalanche and then shuttle bus to town for more if you need it at The Eldo, Talk of The Town, Kochevars, or the Princess Wine Bar if that sounds promising. That list of bars is far from complete, something for everyone. Lots of live music too.
Just back from from the hill and I should make a correction and further define what I said a couple of hour s ago. The base according to the sign at the bottom of the lifts is 25"s. I was off on that by a foot! Sorry. Pretty good conditions means for early season. Some trails with natural snow have signs warning of obstacles, like little tree tops, dirt, etc. Trails just opened after snow making are very hard packed. Even with that I've not suffered any ski damage in 20 days this season. The snow today has been off and on, as has visibility.
You on the way yet? Paradise Cafe and McGills in CB good for sit down breakfasts. The Last Steep in CB has burgers and a couple of different BBQ sandwich choices. Kochevars now is advertising Karolinas BBQ, it just opened so I haven't tried it yet. Up at the area Avalnche has v.good burgers, pizza, and bbq rib racks. CB has a great bunch of different style places to eat, hope you have enough time to sample a bunch of 'em.
Thanks for asking, they are doing just fine. No seriously, there are places listed as so and so glades on the trail maps, and one place named Bakery Trees. Most anywhere you go you'll see tracks going off into the trees. On a more threatening note, from time to time someone will come busting out of the trees, giving you a bit of a start.
gpaulski I'll be here as I live here winters. You call yourself a humble intermediate, I call myself an old man but get out on the mountain most days. If you have email when you are here give me a note. Maybe we could meet for a lift ride or something. BTW, it's just dumping here today. I've pushed snow off the deck twice already at 2pm. Gonna have to do it some more if we wanta get out the door later.
another subject, i started to use my old rear entry boots, and all is perfect except my big toes hurt 'cause they are cramping in front of boot. either boot shrunk in 30 years or foot grew at 60.... know any booter that could shave off inside and allow another 1/8 inch room?
+1 for RB. The guy is a boot fitting master.
Also, trees in CB are generally pretty tight in most places but almost everything is skiable: End to end on East River (including the Bakery) are about the loosest trees on the mountain but the frontside trees are all open as well. When it hasn't snowed in days and I'm hankering for some freshness, I'll even head over to Goldlink and Prospect for the last few untouched powder shots.
Well, you got a lots of miles out of those boots. Keep them around for historical reasons Gpaulski that skiing with you at CB was really nice, d, b. and I were impressed with your skiing, and the conversations of the lifts were most interesting. Hope to see you here again (and with more snow on the ground).
- Crested Butte first timer
- › Taos Ski Valley 2016-2017 Ski, Stoke, Weather 5 minutes ago
- › I bought new skis and they feel soooo heavy! 12 minutes ago
- › So the NE is going to have a "weather event starting Thursady night... 15 minutes ago
- › Zipfit Owners 16 minutes ago
- › MA my bump skiing 21 minutes ago
- › Assistance with April 8 to 13th Trip to Anywhere... 25 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 34 minutes ago
- › Level 2 Attained! 37 minutes ago
- › Is it me or the skis? 44 minutes ago
- › Working On Fischer Patron Tequila Skis 46 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview