Heading to Crested Butte for the first time this weekend. How are conditions there? Recommendations for apres? Thanks
- itemCrested Butte Mountain Resorttagged by marznc, 12/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- Driving to Crested Butte from Denver on Saturday 3/18/16 Last post on 3/18/16 at 10:21pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Spring Break on a budget? Last post on 2/20/16 at 10:38pm in General Skiing Discussion
- If you could do the ultimate CO ski trip, which slopes would you hit? Last post on 12/22/15 at 3:30pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Crested Butte Apres-Ski Last post on 12/30/15 at 3:19pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Monarch in Feb, is it enough for a father and son from NH/VT? Last post on 10/14/15 at 9:59am in General Skiing Discussion
Top 5 Fridays - FIS Drone Ban, Discovery News, Crested Butte,...
Last edited: 1/8/16
Flumserberg is a nice day trip ski resort about an hour train ride from Zurich (or drive). I skied here as a midweek season pass holder for a couple of seasons. Midweek it has small lift lines,...
For any east coast skiers this is like Mad River Glen with wider slopes and big drops to jump off of along with skiing between the trees. Just an all out amazing ski area. Simple and great...
I really love this place, it doesn't have the crowds that the other places around Ottawa have, but this is a legit ski place and is one of those hidden gems that hardcore ski guys/gals love. They...
Good for high volumn, pronated feet, i.e: This is the anti-matter Lange XLR/Banshe/Comp but still very good for people with wider, flatter, lower arched feet who needed or wanted a stiffer boot....
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
Crested Butte first timer
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Conditions are pretty darn good, though none of the double black terrain is open yet. The Red Lady, Paradise East River, Painter Boy and Silver Queen lifts are running so that opens a bunch of runs. CBMR says the total snow fall so far this year is 6' plus, the mid level snow pack is just short of 3' (I think). It's snowing now(Wed AM) and more is forecast thru tomorrow. Can't be too long before the Headwall or North Face opens up. I've skied on my soft snow skis for the last 3 days and will be on them again in a few minutes. Not deep powder, but soft and fun.
Start apres ski at the Avalanche and then shuttle bus to town for more if you need it at The Eldo, Talk of The Town, Kochevars, or the Princess Wine Bar if that sounds promising. That list of bars is far from complete, something for everyone. Lots of live music too.
Just back from from the hill and I should make a correction and further define what I said a couple of hour s ago. The base according to the sign at the bottom of the lifts is 25"s. I was off on that by a foot! Sorry. Pretty good conditions means for early season. Some trails with natural snow have signs warning of obstacles, like little tree tops, dirt, etc. Trails just opened after snow making are very hard packed. Even with that I've not suffered any ski damage in 20 days this season. The snow today has been off and on, as has visibility.
You on the way yet? Paradise Cafe and McGills in CB good for sit down breakfasts. The Last Steep in CB has burgers and a couple of different BBQ sandwich choices. Kochevars now is advertising Karolinas BBQ, it just opened so I haven't tried it yet. Up at the area Avalnche has v.good burgers, pizza, and bbq rib racks. CB has a great bunch of different style places to eat, hope you have enough time to sample a bunch of 'em.
Thanks for asking, they are doing just fine. No seriously, there are places listed as so and so glades on the trail maps, and one place named Bakery Trees. Most anywhere you go you'll see tracks going off into the trees. On a more threatening note, from time to time someone will come busting out of the trees, giving you a bit of a start.
gpaulski I'll be here as I live here winters. You call yourself a humble intermediate, I call myself an old man but get out on the mountain most days. If you have email when you are here give me a note. Maybe we could meet for a lift ride or something. BTW, it's just dumping here today. I've pushed snow off the deck twice already at 2pm. Gonna have to do it some more if we wanta get out the door later.
another subject, i started to use my old rear entry boots, and all is perfect except my big toes hurt 'cause they are cramping in front of boot. either boot shrunk in 30 years or foot grew at 60.... know any booter that could shave off inside and allow another 1/8 inch room?
+1 for RB. The guy is a boot fitting master.
Also, trees in CB are generally pretty tight in most places but almost everything is skiable: End to end on East River (including the Bakery) are about the loosest trees on the mountain but the frontside trees are all open as well. When it hasn't snowed in days and I'm hankering for some freshness, I'll even head over to Goldlink and Prospect for the last few untouched powder shots.
Well, you got a lots of miles out of those boots. Keep them around for historical reasons Gpaulski that skiing with you at CB was really nice, d, b. and I were impressed with your skiing, and the conversations of the lifts were most interesting. Hope to see you here again (and with more snow on the ground).
- Crested Butte first timer
- › Looking for a good 105-115 freeride ski, comparing options: Fischer... 2 minutes ago
- › Black Toe from Boots 3 minutes ago
- › Hot Gear Bag? 6 minutes ago
- › Looking for new all Mountain ski 6 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Utah weather, news, and chat 8 minutes ago
- › Is it time to hang it up when you ski faster then you drive 15 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 28 minutes ago
- › The Narrower Stance? 29 minutes ago
- › Boot Selection: 130 Panterra, Lange XT, Cochise, or Krypton 36 minutes ago
- › Rent or buy skis? [in SoCal, intermediate 2nd season] 38 minutes ago
- › Flumserberg by willyofoz
- › Kirkwood Mountain Resort by Debbie Burke
- › Mont Sainte Marie by Charles J White
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by aarrkk
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › The Ins and Outs of Proper Layering
- › 2017 Smith ChromaPop - It's Basically...
- › EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
- › Epic Ski Image of the Month Contest Terms and...
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis