Heading to Crested Butte for the first time this weekend. How are conditions there? Recommendations for apres? Thanks
- itemCrested Butte Mountain Resorttagged by marznc, 12/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- Driving to Crested Butte from Denver on Saturday 3/18/16 Last post on 3/18/16 at 10:21pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Spring Break on a budget? Last post on 2/20/16 at 10:38pm in General Skiing Discussion
- If you could do the ultimate CO ski trip, which slopes would you hit? Last post on 12/22/15 at 3:30pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Crested Butte Apres-Ski Last post on 12/30/15 at 3:19pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Monarch in Feb, is it enough for a father and son from NH/VT? Last post on 10/14/15 at 9:59am in General Skiing Discussion
Top 5 Fridays - FIS Drone Ban, Discovery News, Crested Butte,...
Last edited: 1/8/16
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Crested Butte first timer
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Conditions are pretty darn good, though none of the double black terrain is open yet. The Red Lady, Paradise East River, Painter Boy and Silver Queen lifts are running so that opens a bunch of runs. CBMR says the total snow fall so far this year is 6' plus, the mid level snow pack is just short of 3' (I think). It's snowing now(Wed AM) and more is forecast thru tomorrow. Can't be too long before the Headwall or North Face opens up. I've skied on my soft snow skis for the last 3 days and will be on them again in a few minutes. Not deep powder, but soft and fun.
Start apres ski at the Avalanche and then shuttle bus to town for more if you need it at The Eldo, Talk of The Town, Kochevars, or the Princess Wine Bar if that sounds promising. That list of bars is far from complete, something for everyone. Lots of live music too.
Just back from from the hill and I should make a correction and further define what I said a couple of hour s ago. The base according to the sign at the bottom of the lifts is 25"s. I was off on that by a foot! Sorry. Pretty good conditions means for early season. Some trails with natural snow have signs warning of obstacles, like little tree tops, dirt, etc. Trails just opened after snow making are very hard packed. Even with that I've not suffered any ski damage in 20 days this season. The snow today has been off and on, as has visibility.
You on the way yet? Paradise Cafe and McGills in CB good for sit down breakfasts. The Last Steep in CB has burgers and a couple of different BBQ sandwich choices. Kochevars now is advertising Karolinas BBQ, it just opened so I haven't tried it yet. Up at the area Avalnche has v.good burgers, pizza, and bbq rib racks. CB has a great bunch of different style places to eat, hope you have enough time to sample a bunch of 'em.
Thanks for asking, they are doing just fine. No seriously, there are places listed as so and so glades on the trail maps, and one place named Bakery Trees. Most anywhere you go you'll see tracks going off into the trees. On a more threatening note, from time to time someone will come busting out of the trees, giving you a bit of a start.
gpaulski I'll be here as I live here winters. You call yourself a humble intermediate, I call myself an old man but get out on the mountain most days. If you have email when you are here give me a note. Maybe we could meet for a lift ride or something. BTW, it's just dumping here today. I've pushed snow off the deck twice already at 2pm. Gonna have to do it some more if we wanta get out the door later.
another subject, i started to use my old rear entry boots, and all is perfect except my big toes hurt 'cause they are cramping in front of boot. either boot shrunk in 30 years or foot grew at 60.... know any booter that could shave off inside and allow another 1/8 inch room?
+1 for RB. The guy is a boot fitting master.
Also, trees in CB are generally pretty tight in most places but almost everything is skiable: End to end on East River (including the Bakery) are about the loosest trees on the mountain but the frontside trees are all open as well. When it hasn't snowed in days and I'm hankering for some freshness, I'll even head over to Goldlink and Prospect for the last few untouched powder shots.
Well, you got a lots of miles out of those boots. Keep them around for historical reasons Gpaulski that skiing with you at CB was really nice, d, b. and I were impressed with your skiing, and the conversations of the lifts were most interesting. Hope to see you here again (and with more snow on the ground).
- Crested Butte first timer
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 5 minutes ago
- › Intuition Liner Quick Question 6 minutes ago
- › Basic entry level poles? 11 minutes ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 11 minutes ago
- › First Time Buying Skis and Boots - Do It All Together? 21 minutes ago
- › NYC Gathering in the city, before the snow starts [Nov. 3] 37 minutes ago
- › Head Strong Instinct V. Rossi E 84 v Head Supershape Rally for NW... 38 minutes ago
- › October 2016 Image of the Month Contest 44 minutes ago
- › Best ski location on the east coast??? 47 minutes ago
- › Ski Powder Highway 1 hour ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer