or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lift ticket prices - Page 4

post #91 of 103

I remember when they used to pay people to ski.

post #92 of 103

Now I want a time machine to go there.

post #93 of 103

I remember when I paid ~$55 per day to ski a gigantic ski area with 90+ ski lifts and 4400' of vertical.

 

That was last week.

post #94 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
 

How else would you purchase an online discount to anywhere without a credit card? Western Union...lol


There is a difference between using a credit to make an online purchase vs having the site store your credit card on its online system.   Hackers are pretty much able to hack whatever they want these days -- so leaving your credit card available to them on somebody's website is asking for unnecessary trouble.  The site has no incentive to protect your information because they have no liability for it -- even though it can be hacked largely due to their negligence.   While it is true that you are limited to only $50 liability on credit card fraud, first you have to identify it, and then you have to prove it...   I would rather avoid the whole scenario and keep my credit card information secure. 

 

So, I avoid sites that store my credit card info and seek out sites that use PayPal.   It minimizes my exposure to hackers...

 

And, if I HAVE to use a site that stores my credit card info, frequently they will block you from deleting it after the purchase, but allow you change it.   So, I go back in and change it to an expired or closed credit card account.

post #95 of 103

I know that you all have been talking about the East but I will share this. I moved to Las Vegas a few years ago from Chicago and have started skiing in Brian Head, Utah. It is a smaller resort in the Southern part of the state but the powder is awesome, there are no lift lines and weekday adult lift tickets are $35, weekend $54. I think I found heaven!

post #96 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
 

Check out Potter Brothers in Kingston. They have discount tickets for Belleayre & Catamount you can purchase the same day you ski. Last year I took my daughter to Catamount for a day & saved $20 on each ticket by stopping there first. Pretty sure they offer more areas also. Only downside is you have to stop in the Kingston store to purchase them, they're not offered at their other locations.

 

 

Not true. I buy my tickets to Belleayre, Catamount, and Plattekill at the Fishkill location all the time.

post #97 of 103

Great tip Kevin. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
 

 

You seem determined to find a way to crucify Stowe over their lift-ticket pricing system.  As for not having a credit card -- most online payment websites offer PayPal as option these days.  I don't know if Stowe is one of them or not.

post #98 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
 

Check out Potter Brothers in Kingston. They have discount tickets for Belleayre & Catamount you can purchase the same day you ski. Last year I took my daughter to Catamount for a day & saved $20 on each ticket by stopping there first. Pretty sure they offer more areas also. Only downside is you have to stop in the Kingston store to purchase them, they're not offered at their other locations.

Great tip seamboat. Thanks

post #99 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Inclined View Post
 

 

 

Not true. I buy my tickets to Belleayre, Catamount, and Plattekill at the Fishkill location all the time.

That's not what they told me last year when I purchased tickets in Kingston. Don't really care anyway since I only used them once. Don't really ski in NY to often.

post #100 of 103

Very weird of them to have told you that. I bought a couple steeply-discounted tickets for Belleayre tomorrow at their Fishkill store this afternoon, as a matter of fact.

Anyway, I didn't mean to have a go at you - it just looks like Potter Brothers has (or had) to get their story straight.

post #101 of 103

i know it's too early, but thinking about great deals for next season 15/16.  as mentioned my son and i skiied for +/- $30/day each using rmsp+, and if nothing better or similar pops up will do same next season.  so, if y'all got any suggestions that rival this deal, kindly advise.  tks, all the best!

post #102 of 103
I don't think much of what's going on with the "local" hills who are now part of larger conglomerates. Both of my nearby resorts used of offer very competitively prices season passes if you bought them in the spring, as well as a "punch card" style multi-day pass sold on similar terms ONLY sold at the end of the prior season. So you had the risk that the small operator might not open next season, and they gave up some greenbacks to lock in customers.

Well, those resorts are now getting on board with the rest of the Peak Resorts program. The deep discount passes are gone, and instead, you now get a perk with your season pass that you can ski Mt. Snow for "free" with your pass ... however when you read the fine print, it's only valid AFTER March 1, and then ONLY if you stay at a Mt. Snow resort property. So if you happen to be in that area visiting someone, forget about it!

The change is in the importance of the balance sheet... now that these guys are geographically diversified, and backed by deep sources of financing (compared to single lender relationships of the past that even large family resorts depended on), they don't need their customers help to stay solvent (or even liquid) in the off seasons or bad years, so they are out to fleece every dollar of income out of us that they can.

BTW - I grew up in Kingston and used to get the discount tix at Potter Bros. If I recall, however, the better deal was to join up with TrailSweepers and get discount tickets through them... at least for Catamount or Bellaire if memory serves correctly. Back when I was in the area you could still get discount tix to Hunter from PB's.
post #103 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdeangel View Post

I don't think much of what's going on with the "local" hills who are now part of larger conglomerates. Both of my nearby resorts used of offer very competitively prices season passes if you bought them in the spring, as well as a "punch card" style multi-day pass sold on similar terms ONLY sold at the end of the prior season. So you had the risk that the small operator might not open next season, and they gave up some greenbacks to lock in customers.

Well, those resorts are now getting on board with the rest of the Peak Resorts program. The deep discount passes are gone, and instead, you now get a perk with your season pass that you can ski Mt. Snow for "free" with your pass ... however when you read the fine print, it's only valid AFTER March 1, and then ONLY if you stay at a Mt. Snow resort property. So if you happen to be in that area visiting someone, forget about it!

The change is in the importance of the balance sheet... now that these guys are geographically diversified, and backed by deep sources of financing (compared to single lender relationships of the past that even large family resorts depended on), they don't need their customers help to stay solvent (or even liquid) in the off seasons or bad years, so they are out to fleece every dollar of income out of us that they can.

BTW - I grew up in Kingston and used to get the discount tix at Potter Bros. If I recall, however, the better deal was to join up with TrailSweepers and get discount tickets through them... at least for Catamount or Bellaire if memory serves correctly. Back when I was in the area you could still get discount tix to Hunter from PB's.

It starts to sound like we have an oligopoly taking over the skiing business.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home