or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The General Public

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Something happened on Saturday that I think will be a great starter for an amusing thread.  At 3:15 PM I was winding up with a half-day class of adult never-evers, all of whom had done very well and progressed to level 2-3.  We were debriefing on the edge of the beginners' area, standing three feet from a 5-foot long bench, oriented with its long axis down the hill. On top of the bench sits a giant bright yellow/red carboy of drinking water and a very large stack of cups. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a very big, 60-something guy comes rocketing downhill headlong into the bench. CRASH!!!!  Like Wiley J. Coyote, the guy literally cleans the bench, his body carooming face-first along its length and off the far end. Carboy, cups, skis, poles go flying everywhere.  The guy is a crumpled heap in the snow at the downhill end of the bench.  I kick off my skis and run over, "Sir, are you alright?"  He staggers to his feet, slowly. "Yeah, yeah, I'm OK?"  He doesn't look OK.  "Sir, are you sure you're alright?"   "Yeah, I'm fine."  His words are slurred.  "Goddamit. Why do they keep putting that damn bench here?  It blocks my way.  Why the hell do they put this damn bench here?  They put it here last year too. I'm gonna complain"  He gets his skis on and skis off on the path leading down.....

 

OK, next?

post #2 of 8

Was he drunk?

post #3 of 8

They are keep putting that bench here? So yeah he was ok, as obviously he's used to crashing like this  :ROTF

post #4 of 8
I do question the bench placement, but without a map, can't see if it's reasonable. But a better question might be, why does he keep coming this way? Is it placed between the slope and some important destination that he can't take another route? And why hasn't he learned to turn yet?
Really, without a map of the base area, it's hard to point fingers, though.
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Is it placed between the slope and some important destination that he can't take another route?

Yes. The bar.
post #6 of 8

Sounds like the bench is there to protect the ski school clients from out of control drunk skiers.  Mission accomplished.  I would have immediately notified the patrol to protect other ski resort customers from that drunk hazard..

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

I do question the bench placement, but without a map, can't see if it's reasonable. But a better question might be, why does he keep coming this way? Is it placed between the slope and some important destination that he can't take another route? And why hasn't he learned to turn yet?
Really, without a map of the base area, it's hard to point fingers, though.


The bench is on the extreme edge of the beginner's area, in front of the john and a storage shed. It doesn't block the way to anything I'm aware of. I think the guy was trying to cut through the beginner area bushwacking to his condo or something.  As the beginner area is completely segregated, I'm not sure how he even got in there.

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by raspritz View Post
 


The bench is on the extreme edge of the beginner's area, in front of the john and a storage shed. It doesn't block the way to anything I'm aware of. I think the guy was trying to cut through the beginner area bushwacking to his condo or something.  As the beginner area is completely segregated, I'm not sure how he even got in there.

 

Well, given the apparent lack of skill of the skier described by the OP, doesn't it make sense that he was in the beginner area and not elsewhere on the hill?

 

Or maybe he just needed to use the john really really badly...  I dunno.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching