or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 5' 10" female looking at 149cm Volkl Kenjas [beginner in northeast]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

5' 10" female looking at 149cm Volkl Kenjas [beginner in northeast]

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 


New to this forum.. so... hi. *smiles... So according to ski length calculators I should be using 155 to 180cm skis. But I have my eye on a pair of Volkl Kenjas on sale for half off, and they're only 149cm. I'm a beginner fish-to-water-love-at-first-feel skier and I plan to ski 60 days or so this year. I just bought some crappy rental skis to start off with, but I'm tired of their shabbiness and aesthetics and that they're men's skis, and their general dullness. My question is, am I going to notice a big difference between these 149cm skis and what I apparently "should" be using in the 155-180 range? Is it worth paying nearer full price for say, the 163s or 170s? Thanks so much!
 

post #2 of 13

That is way too small. Probably better than what you have now, but if you're gonna ski 60 days buy something that is sized properly for you.

post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rue Roberts View Post
 


New to this forum.. so... hi. *smiles... So according to ski length calculators I should be using 155 to 180cm skis. But I have my eye on a pair of Volkl Kenjas on sale for half off, and they're only 149cm. I'm a beginner fish-to-water-love-at-first-feel skier and I plan to ski 60 days or so this year. I just bought some crappy rental skis to start off with, but I'm tired of their shabbiness and aesthetics and that they're men's skis, and their general dullness. My question is, am I going to notice a big difference between these 149cm skis and what I apparently "should" be using in the 155-180 range? Is it worth paying nearer full price for say, the 163s or 170s? Thanks so much!
 


Welcome to EpicSki!  Paging @Trekchick for ski model suggestions.

 

What region are you skiing in?  Makes a big difference if you are spending most of the time in the northeast vs Rockies or elsewhere.

 

149cm is way too short!  I'm 10 inches shorter and that's the length I like for a carver (narrow, 70-75 underfoot) in the Mid-Atlantic or northeast.  My all mountain as an intermediate before I starting skiing a lot more days per season were 150-155.  When I started looking to buy better skis, it was clear that the super cheap skis were not really much of a deal for someone who planned to ski enough days to improve quickly.

post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 

I feel the same about cheaper skis. Emm... almost all New England for now. I have a season pass for a couple nearby mountains and I plan to go 4 or 5 times a week all season. 

post #5 of 13

Half off because they are half size but that doesn't mean you have to pay full price. Here is a site that sells new old stock (NOS) at big savings. BTW there's nothing wrong with skiing mens' skis unless your super small and lightweight. My wife wouldn't be caught dead with 'girly' graphics.

 

http://stores.ebay.com/ASOGEAR

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rue Roberts View Post
 

I feel the same about cheaper skis. Emm... almost all New England for now. I have a season pass for a couple nearby mountains and I plan to go 4 or 5 times a week all season. 


Have you looked to see what the local shops have?  I was in NH this week and saw some pretty good prices since it's not quite full ski season yet.

 

Considering a season rental for skis is another option.  That allows you to easily change ski as you improve.  That's assuming you have your own boots, which is highly recommended.

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


Have you looked to see what the local shops have?  I was in NH this week and saw some pretty good prices since it's not quite full ski season yet?

 

Considering a season rental for skis is another option.  That allows you to easily change ski as you improve.  That's assuming you have your own boots, which is highly recommended.


Yes I do have my own equipment... just looking to upgrade my cheap battered used skis. I don't think renting is a good idea at all. If I ski 50-80 days this season as planned, that would add up to up to $3500 renting skis only. At that rate I could buy new skis six times as my skill level improves. So far I've skied five days, and I'm already confident if not very graceful going down random black diamonds, so I think I'm improving fast enough that it would be most cost-effective/enjoyable to buy an intermediate/expert ski rather than a beginner/intermediate one. 

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle Dave View Post
 

Half off because they are half size but that doesn't mean you have to pay full price. Here is a site that sells new old stock (NOS) at big savings. BTW there's nothing wrong with skiing mens' skis unless your super small and lightweight. My wife wouldn't be caught dead with 'girly' graphics.

 

http://stores.ebay.com/ASOGEAR


LOL! Well I don't much like the "girly girl" graphics either, but I flinch at male ski aesthetics, so even the girliest of patterns is the lesser of two evils. :))

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rue Roberts View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


Have you looked to see what the local shops have?  I was in NH this week and saw some pretty good prices since it's not quite full ski season yet?

 

Considering a season rental for skis is another option.  That allows you to easily change ski as you improve.  That's assuming you have your own boots, which is highly recommended.


Yes I do have my own equipment... just looking to upgrade my cheap battered used skis. I don't think renting is a good idea at all. If I ski 50-80 days this season as planned, that would add up to up to $3500 renting skis only. At that rate I could buy new skis six times as my skill level improves. So far I've skied five days, and I'm already confident if not very graceful going down random black diamonds, so I think I'm improving fast enough that it would be most cost-effective/enjoyable to buy an intermediate/expert ski rather than a beginner/intermediate one. 


To be clear, I wasn't talking about daily ski rentals.  A "season rental" is $150-250 for the entire season.

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


To be clear, I wasn't talking about daily ski rentals.  A "season rental" is $150-250 for the entire season.


Realized that just after I posted... not sure what I was thinking.. silly. Thanks for the idea :))

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rue Roberts View Post
 


New to this forum.. so... hi. *smiles... So according to ski length calculators I should be using 155 to 180cm skis. But I have my eye on a pair of Volkl Kenjas on sale for half off, and they're only 149cm. I'm a beginner fish-to-water-love-at-first-feel skier and I plan to ski 60 days or so this year. I just bought some crappy rental skis to start off with, but I'm tired of their shabbiness and aesthetics and that they're men's skis, and their general dullness. My question is, am I going to notice a big difference between these 149cm skis and what I apparently "should" be using in the 155-180 range? Is it worth paying nearer full price for say, the 163s or 170s? Thanks so much!
 

You tell us your height but don't tell us how much you weigh. 

I'm inclined to say what @epic said and suggest that you go for the 163 Kenja if that's the ski you are planning to get. 

 

It would help if you tell us a little more about yourself.  Where are you planning on skiing?

As always, the thing you need to concentrate on is getting properly fitted boots.  

Have fun out there!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
 

That is way too small. Probably better than what you have now, but if you're gonna ski 60 days buy something that is sized properly for you.

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rue Roberts View Post
 
 


Yes I do have my own equipment... just looking to upgrade my cheap battered used skis. I don't think renting is a good idea at all. If I ski 50-80 days this season as planned, that would add up to up to $3500 renting skis only. At that rate I could buy new skis six times as my skill level improves. So far I've skied five days, and I'm already confident if not very graceful going down random black diamonds, so I think I'm improving fast enough that it would be most cost-effective/enjoyable to buy an intermediate/expert ski rather than a beginner/intermediate one. 

 

I suspect your current boots will start feeling sloppy and inconsistent somewhere ~20-30 ski days from now.    This is pretty typical for enthusiast beginners who aren't complaining about how tight/cold/hard to get into their boots are *right now*.      

You seem pretty smart about budgets so I feel justified in telling you to expect at least one of  major bootfitting/new liners/new boots   before the end of the season.   (Or face a major learning plateau with consistency problems, but we won't talk about that.)

post #13 of 13

Yup.  Boots!

 

Boots, boots, boots, boots, boots, and boots first before skis.

 

You may have ones that fit right, but the chances are slim unless you've been to a good boot fitter. If not, put ALL of your energy and money into the best boot fit you can get, then use whatever resources you have left to get some skis.  If you love the sport the ski graphics will not matter so much as a good boot fit.  In fact, they won't even be in the same universe.  You can get better skis later when you recover from paying for the boots.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 5' 10" female looking at 149cm Volkl Kenjas [beginner in northeast]