Have directs from Miami all booked...... Where should we go ?
Thinking either Aspen, Vail/BC or Steamboat ?
I'm curious the answers here as we are flying into DEN on 1/14 for five nights and are between Vail/BC/Breck and the Aspen resorts. I am also curious which area has received the better snow thus far this fall. We stayed at Steamboat last winter and enjoyed it.
Aspen would be my preference, however lodging might be pretty expensive those dates. I you will have a car and don't mind driving an hour or so each way, you could stay in Glenwood a lot cheaper and drive to Aspen, Vail, or Beaver Creek.
Copper and Breck have had the most snow so far. Several storms hit them and skipped the other areas. Breck and Vail have been the most aggressive opening terrain, with Vail having all the back bowls open except for the steepest pitches.
I'd wait until the last minute to see how the storm next weekend hits, and what terrain is open. There should be lots of decent options, but it hasn't snowed for a while, so some combo of who has the most recent snow + base depth + terrain open = winner.
Ask over in the CO weather thread when the time gets close to get reports from folks on the snow.
Summit County, CO (Breck, Copper, Keystone and A-Basin) where I live has had a week of no snow and 40 degree weather during the day, turning the slopes to boilerplate. Another week of the same is forecast. Check back in a week. In the meantime sharpen you skis.
Just keeping the thread alive - looks like we should have an answer shortly - storms should arrive by the weekend....
Will book hotels on Monday
Excited to get out there..... Long hot summers in Miami :-)